Heads vs Cam

Me too. I afraid though when turbo89 wakes up tomorrow morning he's gonna want to yell at me about something.:cautious:
Goodnight.:)

Woah .. I never yelled at all .. this is the problem with the internet .. people automatically assume things as there is no way to put in tone .. your input is valid and appreciated as it proves
what drives people to pick certain setups . There are always lots of ways to get things done .. I'm just a creature of efficiency so tend to pick the simplest most efficient way to get to a goal.
I just get really really tired of seeing guys waste time / money and get aggravated to the point of just selling their cars and then saying POS Buicks when in reality A) they are using parts they shouldn't be and B) they blow the tuning process off ( when in reality this is what puts the numbers down )

I think this is a very good thread with a lot of good information and suggestions .. hopefully if the read just lets one guy make a worthwhile choice and it proves out successful for him its worthwhile.

Ohh yeah ... and to add to your re-cap ...DON'T FORGET THE TUNE !!! :)

Woah .. I never yelled at all .. this is the problem with the internet .. people automatically assume things as there is no way to put in tone .. your input is valid and appreciated as it proves
what drives people to pick certain setups . There are always lots of ways to get things done .. I'm just a creature of efficiency so tend to pick the simplest most efficient way to get to a goal.
I just get really really tired of seeing guys waste time / money and get aggravated to the point of just selling their cars and then saying POS Buicks when in reality A) they are using parts they shouldn't be and B) they blow the tuning process off ( when in reality this is what puts the numbers down )

I think this is a very good thread with a lot of good information and suggestions .. hopefully if the read just lets one guy make a worthwhile choice and it proves out successful for him its worthwhile.

Ohh yeah ... and to add to your re-cap ...DON'T FORGET THE TUNE !!! :)
Good morning:LOL:

Turbo89, were you in BG with a car in the past 5 years? Please let me know when you hit the local dragstrip this season. I'd like to see your expertise in action.

Some good information. I appreciate everyones input. My car is currently tuned very well on the SD2 at 24lbs.I'm very cognisant of the do-s and don'ts when it comes to throwing parts at my car. I had asked this question to a few people with mixed answers. So I figured I'd ask the Community and see what you guys thought. I was already leaning towards ported Irons, and general consensus backs that up. I'll reply on this thread with my time slip before and after ported irons. As stated before we are finally getting a track in the panhandle handle of Florida.

Last edited:
Turbo89, were you in BG with a car in the past 5 years? Please let me know when you hit the local dragstrip this season. I'd like to see your expertise in action.

BG .. No nothing would interest me except maybe Plogii's car ...

Brainerd, Kaukauna, and Gateway ... HAve you been to any of these in the last 5 years ? Let me know when you are making a trip up with your car .. I will make sure to bring my car
and we can compare notes.

Do you have comments on the post content .. or are you just stirring the pot as usual ?

to run mid to low 7's in the 1/8 leave the heads alone,and tune the car or get it tuned,you will be well ahead of the game.

As previously stated my car is already tuned well, very well. I do not know what it runs right now. I am hoping from mid to low 7's.

For the op I would look into ported irons with the rest of your combo, with stock heads and your 6262 its like trying to blow air through a 10 foot straw.

As previously stated my car is already tuned well, very well. I do not know what it runs right now. I am hoping from mid to low 7's.
I understand.im talking about tuning it to run a number,on a stock head/motor to run mid to low 7's at 24psi you would be a little light on boost depending on weight and timing and hook.good luck(y)

Thanks, I'm with you. Without a few passes I have nothing to start with. That's why I'm very excited to get a track near me. Would hope I'm at least 7.80s with a mediocre 60ft. If not, I'll have to step up my game. It's all speculation until I get a few passes.

Thanks, I'm with you. Without a few passes I have nothing to start with. That's why I'm very excited to get a track near me. Would hope I'm at least 7.80s with a mediocre 60ft. If not, I'll have to step up my game. It's all speculation until I get a few passes.
keep updating your thread(y)

I've had my car since 2009. It ran 8.70 in the 1/8th bone stock with drag radials. Put a 6262, chip, pump, inj, hot wire, Adj fp Reg on it. Ran 8.70 again. But picked up 6mph. Talk about lag and a lesson learned. Since then have installed a PTC converter , 3 inch exhaust, Duttneck neck IC, SD2, Alky and other smalls. Finally getting a track again opening up local. Car is tuned really well currently so I'm hoping to be mid to lower 7s? Either way I love it and have learned a lot. Some the hard way.
Mine runs 7.8s at 86 at 19 psi on 110 octane with less than what you have. And that is on a 140,000 stock turbo and motor stock except springs. You should have no problem reaching your goal