headliner...mine finally started to sag

Why don't you remove it and take it down the a auto upholstery shop?

Jax sells a replacement piece of headliner material with glue and instructions. I think I paid $50 for it a couple years ago. Do it yourself. Mine turned out great, if I must say so myself. Not really a tough project.

Jo-Anne Fabrics carries the foam backed headliner material in 6 different colors, and it matches perfectly.

its the original one. I have really good contact glue[I do counter tops]will that work? I was hoping to just buy a piece done and put it in,anyone have such a piece?

I would not use if its the DAP brand contact cement. I use 3M spray adhesive like a Super 74 or 90. Best thing to do is to call a auto top shop and ask what they use.

I personally have done about 20 or so of this style headliner. The hardest part is actually prepping the hardboard for the new material. I never spent over $20 for material and glues. Most auto uphostery material places have the mat and the 3-M glues for it. It may take you a few hours, but it will be great when you are done. Main thing is keep it all clean, and let the glue set up well on both pieces before you apply them together. Mark :D

I would use nothing but the DAP glue. I have used the counter top adhesive in the past but found something I like better (DAP Vinyl top adhesive)
Tried them all and in the Illinois heat & humidity the 3M stuff gave up quick...I'll never use it again, caused to many redos.

CAUTION/hint: thin the DAP glue a bit and spray it on with a cheapo spray gun. This will cause the glue to go on dry enough that it won't have any chance to harm the foam (if it would anyway, I never had a problem).
Spray your material and the board and on the material and let it dry to touch, smooth the material on. Just like counter tops...

To prep the board, put some 80 grit on a DA and lightly/quickly go over the board, it takes about 60 seconds to get all the old loose dry foam off. No need to remove the old adhesive, it'll stay there.

Originally posted by zam70
I would use nothing but the DAP glue. I have used the counter top adhesive in the past but found something I like better (DAP Vinyl top adhesive)
Tried them all and in the Illinois heat & humidity the 3M stuff gave up quick...I'll never use it again, caused to many redos.

I would agree but he will need a air compressor and a spray gun. Applying the DAP glue in a spray gun is the idea way but most guys will apply it with a paint brush. He is doing a headliner repair not working with Vinyl.

Also a note that the original headliner material on the 87 Regals are made out of molded foam (not the cardboard/wood material found in newer vehicles) and becareful its very brittle

got the compresser and a whopping $30 cup gun[been using it for countertops for three years now]. I normally use Wilsonart or Hybond glue,I`m sure one of my suppliers can get me the DAP stuff. Thanks guys

Make sure you prep the "backer board" correctly.. I use a wire brush to remove all the old foam particles and as much of the old adhesive as possible. I have used the 3M spray adhesive, and never had a problem in Florida heat and humidity..

Originally posted by 8587GN
got the compresser and a whopping $30 cup gun[been using it for countertops for three years now]. I normally use Wilsonart or Hybond glue,I`m sure one of my suppliers can get me the DAP stuff. Thanks guys

The Wilsonart and Hybond glue is alot better quality that the DAP stuff and its only usually offered to commercial use only.

I replaced mine last year with a kit from IMM. My car has a roll bar and the only way to get the backing board out was to remove the front windshield!
Jeff

Thanks guys,since I allready have the glue;) I guess I`ll take the advice given here and pull it out this weekend.