Headlight has trapped water?

Joe 1320

Torqueus Maximus
the high beam has condensation on the inside of the headlight assembly. If these are sealed beams, how the heck could that happen? It's been light that for a year or more, I just haven't gotten around to dealing with it. Look, I already know it's easy..... just replace the headlight. I'm just wondering, because of how thrifty I really am, is there any way to remove the mositure? Would removing the lamp, packing it in a box with a dessicant bag do the trick?

the high beam has condensation on the inside of the headlight assembly. If these are sealed beams, how the heck could that happen? It's been light that for a year or more, I just haven't gotten around to dealing with it. Look, I already know it's easy..... just replace the headlight. I'm just wondering, because of how thrifty I really am, is there any way to remove the mositure? Would removing the lamp, packing it in a box with a dessicant bag do the trick?

I would say for what a light costs it's not worth the agg. to do that and if water got in there once it will likely happen again. There mabe a a slight break in the seal not visible to the naked eye

As a SEALED unit, if condensation is on the interior, it is dead. One day you will turn it on and it will be very bright for a few seconds. And NO you cannot remove the moisture with any consideration of success.

Some "sealed beam" headlights have a glass envelope for the lamp filaments seperate from the lens. Turn your brights on and see if the lamp still works.

I'd pop the wiring and hook up a battery or car charger over 10A on it and run it a few hours.

That should get it hot enough to evaporate the water.

Don't move the car if the water hits the lamp filament it may go boom. :eek:

Then again it's gonna do it again so fix it right someday. ;)

I see this a lot! Replace the bulb. It may have been handled too rough before you had it.

I thought it could because this one time, at band camp, my friends cousins Uncle who worked at a dealership before he went to jail did!

J/k Guys...man I meant replace the "headlight":tongue:

Not only should you replace the light, but if they were like a lot of ours, in there for 10 years or more, you should replace all of the lights. You will not believe the difference. The lighting ability of these lights DO fade over a lot of years. It happens so slowly that you do not even notice, but, once you do it you will wonder why you did not do it years ago. Just because they light does not mean they are good.

And

do not forget to replace your Tail lights and side marker lights. They also wear out and get dimmer with age.