Headgasket set

tta983

Well It looks like I am going to replace headgaskets and have heads reworked. Where is the best place to get a headgasket set and what brand should I buy?

Might as well get Cometic head gaskets and just be done with it....

Cometic Gasket, Inc.

Are you doing your own porting? I've been working on a set, haven't finished them yet. Here are some before and afters. Just make sure you take your time if you do your own work....

100_0535.jpg
100_0536.jpg

100_0538.jpg
100_0537.jpg

100_0539.jpg
100_0540.jpg

Might as well get Cometic head gaskets and just be done with it....

Cometic Gasket, Inc.

Are you doing your own porting? I've been working on a set, haven't finished them yet. Here are some before and afters. Just make sure you take your time if you do your own work....

100_0535.jpg
100_0536.jpg

100_0538.jpg
100_0537.jpg

100_0539.jpg
100_0540.jpg

They look really good, I have a extra set of original TTA heads I thought about using. I will probably get them reworked by Champion. They are a little over an hour from here. I usually thought when you blew a headgasket that water would get in the oil or oil would get in the radiator, but not this time. Everything was clean.

Make sure you chase the threads in the block before the heads go back on, and double check the condition of the threads on the head bolts that your using before you torque them down. Do you have a picture of where the head gasket tore....?

Originally I thought the blowby oil and smoke coming out of the vent hose on the driver side valve cover and also smoke coming out of the tailpipe was caused by a bad turbo. So it is not, because I put a new turbo TA49 on and I still have the same thing with the smoke. Also I hear a bad leak, sounds like exaust leak coming from pass side head, I am thinking this sound has something to do with the headgasket blowing. I dont have the heads off yet to inspect yet. Also the head bolts will be replaced by ARP bolts.

Do a compression test before tearing it apart.

gaskets.. as above.. Felpro's and ARP bolts.

Just an FYI.. one thing Champion does is install hardened seats. This helps the head from cracking between the valves which is very common due to the water design on them in that area.

Just an FYI.. one thing Champion does is install hardened seats. This helps the head from cracking between the valves which is very common due to the water design on them in that area.

Thanks for the info Julio, I saw you in Kissimmee and wanted to talk to you but I was feeling not so good I had a real bad cold. That is the first thing was going to do and that was a compression test and a leak down test. If it does need headgaskets I will replace it with the felpros. I found a former thread and you talked more about how to do the process. I have a extra set of original TTA heads and if it is to problem I can get Champion to work on them for me. I hope the headgaskets are the problem, a lot of things indicate that it might be, time will tell.

I got Champion heads for my TTA. I paid $100 for a core charge for Non original TTA castings. They had GM head gaskets on hand. I think they are made by Victor. I ordered the head bolts direct from ARP. I had a list that another TTA guy put together of the bolt sizes needed. As far as I know ARP does not have an off the shelf bolt kit for TTAs like they do with the Buicks.

Took the plugs out today. The rear one on the pass side toward firewall had oil on it as noted in the pic. Some of the others has gas on them, I am sure it was because it was running poorly. Will do a compression test when I get time. The last pic is of the engine with the new TA49 turbo installed. I had to use my old stock bell, until I can get the intake pipe modified or get a new one.

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 297
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 310
I had a compression test done on the motor, Its not good. #4 cylinder has 0 compression and the others are not so well either. The cylinder walls are scored pretty badly also. Will have to be rebuilt or get another short block. Such a bumber.

Pull the heads and post pictures of the pistons and walls.

I have it at a shop here in Jax, the owner evaluated it himself. They have other turbo cars there that are GM products. He did a compress test and did some kind of other test to tell me about the block. I know the heads are still on the car. I just took it over there today and I got the news just a few minutes ago.

I have it at a shop here in Jax, the owner evaluated it himself. They have other turbo cars there that are GM products. He did a compress test and did some kind of other test to tell me about the block. I know the heads are still on the car. I just took it over there today and I got the news just a few minutes ago.

Typically if you pop the HG it wont have compression. #4 is not the typical cylinder that goes. Typically its #3 on the drivers side.

You must of detonated the daylights out of the motor to create enough damage to require a rebuild. I popped many a head gasket on a TTA.. never needed anything but a gasket. My worse one happened with Cometic gaskets and it tore up a piston. I installed a new piston and back on the road it went.

Blocks are tough on the cars. As are the pistons.

This is why I say pull heads and post pixs. If your at the mercy of a shop.. you may want to get a second opinion.

FWIW.. TTA pistons are different than GN pistons. Doing a rebuild can be pandoras box.

Typically if you pop the HG it wont have compression. #4 is not the typical cylinder that goes. Typically its #3 on the drivers side.

You must of detonated the daylights out of the motor to create enough damage to require a rebuild. I popped many a head gasket on a TTA.. never needed anything but a gasket. My worse one happened with Cometic gaskets and it tore up a piston. I installed a new piston and back on the road it went.

Blocks are tough on the cars. As are the pistons.

This is why I say pull heads and post pixs. If your at the mercy of a shop.. you may want to get a second opinion.

FWIW.. TTA pistons are different than GN pistons. Doing a rebuild can be pandoras box.

They were telling me if I would have had different pistons in the motor that this might not happened. I know it has stock TTA pistons. It goes to show they know little about these engines. Razor, do you know anyone I can take it to up here in north Florida, to get it evaluated properly. I can do a few things but not major engine work.

It is hard to believe this engine needs a rebuild. It ran too good and the oil pressure was also very good. I really need to get the heads off for a better inspection. Will work on a source to have it done.