Header Gasket Help

BigTady

I'm sure I'm not the first...

I searched for what do do when my passenger side gasket that came with my TA Headers blew after a week.

Looked like a few options came up

1. No gasket
2. Copper gaskets
3. Double gasket

I went the route of copper cause I just didn't feel comfortable with nothing... Now my header is even worse and just spews exhaust fumes. I tightened them down even more today to see if it would help and there was no change.

So I checked the crossover and made sure all is well there.

Hoping someone can guide me here in the right direction and this header is a pain in the arse.

MAke sure the flange surface is FLAT... apply a very light coating of Permatex copper ... no leaks

I have used orange high tech silicone, just form a bead around the ports, let it cure and install, never an issue with leaking, won't blow out either.

I am running the TA headers but I did not use the gaskets that came with them. I have always used the copper gaskets with a very light coating of Permatex Ultracopper sealer. No problems. I used the Percys multi layer aluminum on the headers on my truck and those also work well in that application.

no gasket here, permatex copper, let it setup, then install. Tighten bolts from the inside of the header working out. This is the method I use on my chinese knock off headers and I haven't had issues.

if you're going to use the coppers, since you now have them, use sealant on the coppers also.

X2.......Take your header off & have it double checked for being flat. A large belt sander works..........
Many use no gaskets on the headers, just some orange "hi-temp" RTV.
I have been using FelPro 1400's with good results.

I keep trying to reply to this on the mobile app but it fails....

I got it sorted out, the top of the copper gasket was hitting the valve cover on each port. Knipped those off and used permatex. Job done... No leaks.

Thanks for the extra tips. BTW the flanges are straight.

The cool thing about not running gaskets if IF they leak, the leak is VERY thin.... Blow a gasket and it's 1/8" wide.

...oh, and it doesn't try to spread out the crossover pipe 1/4" more than it wants to be.

Never,never,never use a gasket here or between the header and turbo. The factory didn't.