Head Gaskets

gnxjames548

Blew head gasket again this time at 29 psi Boost. Could i get some feed back about what head gasket to use this time.

Blew head gasket again this time at 29 psi Boost. Could i get some feed back about what head gasket to use this time.

Cometics.... head deck and block deck must be flat.....certain finish is required per their instructions..... spray copper coat or hylomar on them..... ARP head studs are a good idea..... should be enough to seal it up good....... good enough to blow the bottom end out of your block if it (your tuneup/fuel/etc.) isn't right.... so be careful.

LOL That's what i don't want to do is Blow the bottom end out.

Anytime you step up to a good head gasket that is a possibility. I am of the opinion.... I'd prefer not to be "good" at changing head gaskets. With that said.... you put the good ones on there.... watch your boost and your tune... you shouldn't have any issue with blowing out the bottom end.

The cheaper HG like the 9441 fel-pros..... give a longer "fuse" before real bad stuff happens.

I'd stay with stock type to act like a fuse.. Lot cheaper and easier to do. Do you know why it detonated ?? :confused:

There right, felpro 9441 pt is a good gasket I used them without any issues. 29-31psi. I would look for the reason it blew out. Back to 15 psi for you my friend!

RJC gaskets

30 + lbs boost, numerous dyno pulls, 619 RWHP,
many ,many street miles, w/ alky.
still intact!

So in this case the gasket did its job and let go.

I would stick with the stock style and be carful on the tune next time.

Make sure you clean/replace the oil pickup.

Ive blown 2 gaskets so far in my 6yrs of TR learning curve. The first was the TTA it was my fault ... forgot i didnt have race gas in the car 20 plus #'s it blew @ 140 mph an sounded like a shotgun. stock gasket but it blew to the outside but still got 2 pistons. The second time was a loose as f**K converter and a stock MAF . It also was on stock head gaskets looked at spark plugs an they look ok. Detonation will kill a 20k best parts motor. Its alll in the tune!

the buick had 5 yrs of 27psi on 114-116 on a tune by me . thats saying alot for these lil motors because i tuned by my scanmaster on hwy 52 :eek:

I would use stock headgaskets as a fuse as grumpy said ... headgaskets are cheaper than pistons.