Head gasket

1BAD_GN

1BAD_GN
Blew my first set of head gaskets last night. Looked under hood this morning there was "milkshake" splatter all underneath. Also noticed the hose that runs from the RJC boost controller to the waste gate had blown off.

Where you datalogging when it happened? I wire tie my boost controller so that it shouldn't come off...

Where you datalogging when it happened? I wire tie my boost controller so that it shouldn't come off...

Was making a pull while cruising the hwy. I only have scanmaster, no power logger.

Every vacuum line will have a wire tie on it once it's back together.

What's are the best head gaskets?

Do some research. I run the stock style 9441pts They are a fuse. Otherwise the UH OH goes to the rods, etc before popping the HG's. If you are great on teh tune and are comfortable with all the ins and outs of how to tune etc and are running over 25 PSI all teh time the cometics maybe a better choice. Get your heads resurfaced no matter what HG you go with.

I agree the head gaskets are a fuse...better to blow a gasket than a bent rod or hole in a piston.

The stock style gasket is fine. I would install studs. If the tune is good, the stock style gasket (fel pro 9441 or Victors) will handle all the boost you want to give it. Make sure you pull the oil pan and clean out the graphite in the pan and on the pick up.

The stock style gasket is fine. I would install studs. If the tune is good, the stock style gasket (fel pro 9441 or Victors) will handle all the boost you want to give it. Make sure you pull the oil pan and clean out the graphite in the pan and on the pick up.

Will make sure to do that!!

Is there some type of flush that I need to run thru the motor to make sure I get all the contaminates out?

Do some research. I run the stock style 9441pts They are a fuse. Otherwise the UH OH goes to the rods, etc before popping the HG's. If you are great on teh tune and are comfortable with all the ins and outs of how to tune etc and are running over 25 PSI all teh time the cometics maybe a better choice. Get your heads resurfaced no matter what HG you go with.

Blew the gaskets on 22psi and alky!! Scanmaster was showing 740's at top of 3rd gear

Ive run these for yrs
1007. Felpro
U have to have your heads O ringed
To use them.
30psi all day no problems

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Attachments

• 1394431939847.jpg
    1394431939847.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 1394431998005.jpg
    1394431998005.jpg
    650.2 KB · Views: 129
Blew my first set of head gaskets last night. Looked under hood this morning there was "milkshake" splatter all underneath. Also noticed the hose that runs from the RJC boost controller to the waste gate had blown off.

It sucks when one little zip tie would have kept that from happening. :(

Hard to go wrong with stock VR replacement head gaskets. Make sure to get new head bolts or studs. The stockers are a one time use only.

Blew the gaskets on 22psi and alky!! Scanmaster was showing 740's at top of 3rd gear

Obviously something else was wrong. Repeat something else was wrong!!! Tons of people running more than 22 and alky al day every day no issues. I for one have ran stock style HG for over 106k miles at 26 psi daily.

Cant assume its the headgaskets. 740 is on the lean side anyways.

Obviously something else was wrong. Repeat something else was wrong!!! Tons of people running more than 22 and alky al day every day no issues. I for one have ran stock style HG for over 106k miles at 26 psi daily.

Cant assume its the headgaskets. 740 is on the lean side anyways.

Any suggestions??

Checked fuel pressure the day before and it was 43 with vacuum line off at idle.

Any suggestions??

Checked fuel pressure the day before and it was 43 with vacuum line off at idle.
Just because its 43 at idle doesn't mean its keeping up thru the entire run...you need to monitor fuel pressure and make sure it rises as boost rises and not falls off in the upper RPM range.