head gasket- which side up

iamjeff

next gen buick enthusiast
im running the stock head gaskets. which side goes up/down. it doesnt say on the head gasket. thanks.

-jeff

so, just to clarify...the surface with the part number makes contact with the cylinder head?

-jeff

another question...the gasket apears to block off the water jackets except for two little holes on two of them. is this ok?

-jeff

Good question!I started a thread on T6P about this exact same situation!I can tell you this for sure,I ran the exact same gaskets blocking everything off except the 2 small holes in the other 2 ports.My water temp never got obove 190 after a WOT run with a 180 thermostat.BUT......I would still like to know for sure!Don't see how the heads could be that well cooled if everything is blocked off!Hope someone answers,50 views on the other site and not 1 reply!:)

flow

I/ll give it a try. Water (cool) is pumped out of bottom of rad. and into the front of the block. It goes around the cyl. and on to the back of block. Here it goes up into the back of the head and from there to the front of head, where it enters the intake. When the thermostat sees the desired temp. it will open and let the water (now hot) inter the top of rad. The 2 small holes are called steam holes. The other holes are block off to keep the water from intering the head before getting to the back cyl.

Maybe the holes in the coolant passages were a little too large. They were big to help get out all the casting material easy when making the heads. I think many "holes" are too big for this reason.??

Re: flow

Originally posted by Lee Thompson
I/ll give it a try. Water (cool) is pumped out of bottom of rad. and into the front of the block. It goes around the cyl. and on to the back of block. Here it goes up into the back of the head and from there to the front of head, where it enters the intake. When the thermostat sees the desired temp. it will open and let the water (now hot) inter the top of rad. The 2 small holes are called steam holes. The other holes are block off to keep the water from intering the head before getting to the back cyl.

Yup, its to resrict certain areas to try to even out cooling. Generally, if the gasket doesnt say top it doesnt matter which side goes up. Matter of fact, in some cars where each side is a mirror of the other, one gasket will face the opposite way of the other. Just make sure to pay close attention to the holes. Some cars pass pressurized oil thru the HG and you want to make sure the gasket doesnt block this passage. Ours wont, but some would. Just make sure you match up all the passages and you'll be fine.