Head gasket ? 's/head bolts/studs..

kraus

Well I am getting engine back this week,so I will be assembling the rest and have a few gasket ?'s.One is bottom half is all stock ,just freshened with coated bearings,new rings and a 206 210 cam etc.I also have a set of ported iron heads with big valves and intake going on it.At same time i will be install a razor alky kit.So I am wondering if I should install head studs or bolt? Also should I go with stock head gaskets or cometic ? I guess what works the best for what i am doing,this is a street car like 10-15,000 miles a summer.It is raced once a month maybe twice,but mostly a driver in the summer. I want to build it to be reliable and hold up the first time.

i would put the studs in the new stile will let you take them out so you don't have to pull the motor to change a head gasket. every one will have a different opinion on head gaskets. I'm running lock wire gaskets.

Put the head studs in it. Much better clamping force over the bolts. I am also building my engine right now and have ordered the arp head studs that can be installed or removed with an allen wrench.

Headgaskets, like was said, everyone has their preference. I was going to use the stock graphite gasket to keep a cushion there if something goes wrong. But I decided to go with RJC's bullet proof headgasket set. You hear of guys running real fast with the stock type HG. As long as you stay out of detonation you should be fine. Last year I was running the felpro 9441's at 24 psi boost and I had detonation at the top of third gear and I popped both of them. My scan tool showed 5.7* of KR.

Main studs, 2 center steel caps, head studs (Pro series with 12 pt nuts) and cometics. I have been running all above for 3 years and just recently blew out a set of Cometics. Don't let anybody tell you they are running a set of stocker HG's because they want an safety valve. The Cometics will blow like the stockers just takes more heat. Cometic has a dual designed gasket for 8 or 14 bolt heads. I don't agree with it, but the saftey valve is that the gaskets blow from the fire ring up and down into the unused bolt holes alowing compression to leak under the intake and out toward the headers. Spend the extra and do it right the first time.

Mitch