Head gasket replacing for a newbie

grandnash84

Hey guys!
I blew my head gasket the other day. Gonna try to do it my self with the help of a friend that's a gear head. I'm going to replace with rjc head gaskets. Is there anything else I need to be aware of or replace while I'm doing the head gasket? The engine was built 8 years back bored .30 over, champion heads, etc. I have the arp bolts already. I'm also running a 6262 turbo with menthol ruining 22lbs. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

I'm not messing with you, but follow me here for a second....

Just by asking that question I'm going to assUme you don't have a long track record of replacing head gaskets and seeing them take mucho abuse....

That behind said, do you really want to hotswap some MLS gaskets on un-prepped deck and head surfaces?

I'm thinking some 'plain' ole Victor Reniz factory replacement composite gaskets would be a much better option.

X2 on the victor reniz.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I'm not messing with you, but follow me here for a second....

Just by asking that question I'm going to assUme you don't have a long track record of replacing head gaskets and seeing them take mucho abuse....

That behind said, do you really want to hotswap some MLS gaskets on un-prepped deck and head surfaces?

I'm thinking some 'plain' ole Victor Reniz factory replacement composite gaskets would be a much better option.
We'll the title of the thread did have newbie on it so your assumption is right. What do you mean by hot swap? What is mls gasket? I plan to resurface the head when I change the gasket. Never said I had unprepared head surfaces so don't know what you mean. Why would u recommend plan head gaskets for high boost?

MLS multi layer shim or steel. The block and head need to be baby bum smooth to seal. The stock graphite gaskets work well and can act like a fuse if your tune is off which is better than splitting the crank or a piston if the heads are clamped on real well.

MLS multi layer shim or steel. The block and head need to be baby bum smooth to seal. The stock graphite gaskets work well and can act like a fuse if your tune is off which is better than splitting the crank or a piston if the heads are clamped on real well.
Thanks for the response. So it would be better to use rjc then a stock gasket. Thank you

Graphite is stock RJC is steel shim. Victor Reinz or Felpro would be my choice on your position.

The RJC gasket is a good choice for certain applications, they take more abuse than stockers, the sealing system with the "goop" seems to work well, they will add a little compression since they are thinner and if the do lift a re torque can usually get you back and running and you do not have to drop the pan and clean the graphite out of the pan and the pick up.

The draw backs are piston to valve clearance since they are thinner if the block has been decked they might not work, the extra compression can make the engine more prone to detonation make sure you keep an eye on your tune, they rarely blow like a stock gasket so it like water detonation will take the path of least resistance pound out a bearing, split a piston, break the crank.

looks like you have had the car for a few years you got a good handle on the tune? monitor knock?

The RJC gasket is a good choice for certain applications, they take more abuse than stockers, the sealing system with the "goop" seems to work well, they will add a little compression since they are thinner and if the do lift a re torque can usually get you back and running and you do not have to drop the pan and clean the graphite out of the pan and the pick up.

The draw backs are piston to valve clearance since they are thinner if the block has been decked they might not work, the extra compression can make the engine more prone to detonation make sure you keep an eye on your tune, they rarely blow like a stock gasket so it like water detonation will take the path of least resistance pound out a bearing, split a piston, break the crank.

looks like you have had the car for a few years you got a good handle on the tune? monitor knock?
Thanks for the info! I Have my car dyno tuned don't really tune on the street. I have a shop tune it, never had any knock except when I ran out of meth lol. I have the translator pro

There's more than just having the head flat (and a belt sanded finish may look flat but it is not), the block has to be flat too. Any low spots at the water ports or high spots at the head bolt holes and you're doing this again.