Head gasket reassembley help needed Are intake gaskets?

PDMRACING

My idle problem was a blown head gasket. good news it blew out between the cylinders & I caught it so no warpage

I bought gaskets suggested by this forum, My shop said there are no intake gaskets used but a lifyer vally pan gasket combo, is that enough? or do I use the felpros & check that?

thanks

The valley pan, the side gaskets & a healthy bead of silicone across the front & rear. i just did this same thing last fall

I drove my car home an hour from the drag strip with a blown head gasket lol & my heads were ok but i pulled them to have them anyway to have them built.

I like to use the copper spray on the valley pan across the intake ports I mask off the valley part and put a couple coats on both sides of the ports to assure proper seal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You still might have a low area between the cylinders (and/or from a water port to the combustion area)

These heads never blew a gasket and had less than .003" deviation....

Note the area between the two left cylinders and that large water port. Both of those low areas cross the fire ring.

Thanks that photo explains a lot, The shop that did the work has a machine shop in the same building who does work on my drag cars gave it a clean bill of health on block and head.

I'm getting water in the cylinders and smoking out the exhaust real bad. Motor was just rebuilt used cometic three piece. When we put the intake on I don't think it seal right we had a hard time getting everything lined up since we put it on with the motor in the car already. My guy is checking it out tomorrow. Please reassure me that its not the headgasket and its the intake seal

Last edited:
I would reassure you.....

....but I'd be talking out my ass if I did it.

The only way to know, is to know. A leak down test might illuminate a compromised head gasket. A cooling system pressure test might illuminate a compromised intake gasket.

Why did the gasket blow out on surfaces that checked out flat?

We are not sure if the gasket is bad.my guy is doing test on it I have a thick white grey smoke coming from exhaust. He did a pressure test on radiator. He didn't do a cylinder test yet. I'm hoping its the intake. My engine builder swears its not the head gaskets

What are you using for fasteners? There are several head fasteners that go into the water jacket and need sealed.
If you took a lot off the head the intake to head could be misaligned. You say you had a hard time as the engine was in the car. I know I'm not the only one who did the same thing. Are your alignment pins still in the block?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I got 95% of smoke to go away. I had a few hose leaks. That cleared up the white grey smoke. But I used total seal gapless rings. And I had a lot of smoke still coming out of the exhaust. I put a vac pump on and it got rid of 95% of smoke. Its not burning oil but I get a puff of smoke when I launch with wot. It doesn't smoke under regular driving or rolling at any speed and I get into full boost. Any thoughts ?