Hate On Dodge All You Want, But The Hellcat Is Not Playing Around... (Dyno Numbers Inside)

I agree. Just curious if John Doe bought one, brought it to the strip and ran it for 10-15 passes unmodified, something broke, then warranty claim denied for abuse when all they've been touting is its a "10 second car on drag radials".

Time will tell. And like you said, guaranteed some dickwad will throw a pulley and spray on one, screw something up, put it back to stock and make a claim that's denied because his GoPro footage showed he abused it.

I'm mainly talking the average buyer who does no modifications whatsoever to it.
If it was close to stock or stock I doubt you'd see any catastrophic breakage. I know plenty of new high performance car owners and they drive their cars like they stole them. Never saw one with a major drivetrain component failure. The last big one I heard about was related to coolant hose blow off in a nearly new Ford GT. Car ate the wall up at LVD hard. Supposedly the cost of the car was "taken care of" because the collateral damage occured from a failed item that was known and recalled. I don't know the specific details of this or accuracy but the car was supposedly taken care of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll give credit to SRT. They build em to take abuse. I beat the living hell out of my SRT8 Grand Cherokee. It made many a pass down several drag strips. I put over 70k on it over a 4 year time frame and it was never in the shop for anything other than general maintenance. Granted, I did keep it stock with the exception of a Borla cat-back & MOPAR CAI. So I figure as long as a Hellcat is kept basically stock, it should hold up to whatever is done to it. It will be interesting to see what shakes out once legit warranty claims start coming in, though.

I know at least one is probably under a claim now. It blew the motor shortly after it was picked up. Nothing like seeing your brand new car puking oil all over the pavement after hearing some noises it shouldn't make. :eek:

You hope. Remember when the Lancer Evo guys were doing 6,000rpm clutch dumps at the strip to compete with the STi guys and blowing diffs? Mitsubishi was denying warranty claims of it could be proven they were drag races at a strip....

Hopefully Dodge doesn't pull that crap...
In the owners manual it tells you how to stage it with the launch control at a legal drag strip, so I think they are encouraging folks to take them out, after all, that's how you make more sales on Mondays :)

If it was close to stock or stock I doubt you'd see any catastrophic breakage. I know plenty of new high performance car owners and they drive their cars like they stole them. Never saw one with a major drivetrain component failure. The last big one I heard about was related to coolant hose blow off in a nearly new Ford GT. Car ate the wall up at LVD hard. Supposedly the cost of the car was "taken care of" because the collateral damage occured from a failed item that was known and recalled. I don't know the specific details of this or accuracy but the car was supposedly taken care of.

I recall hearing talks of CTS-V's blowing rears at the strip when launching. Not sure if it was pre or post 2008 models.

Never heard anything about warranty claims and don't know if they were modified.

Pre '09's had a serious wheel hop problem and had weak rear ends.
Not a problem in '09's & up.
I'm running about 675 RWHP on mine & no problems yet.
I've heard of some these cars running over 800 RWHP on stock rear ends.

I was thinkin speed limiter when I read that, I supposed there is a rev limiter on the sticks, but certainly not at 6200 rpms where the dyno sheet stopped.
2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-interior-instrument-cluster-boost-pressure.jpg

Tach shows the red at about 5,800.

Its crazy that the new shit is getting so quick the gap is closing in on our cars, the best joy of our cars a few years ago was beating a $60k car with a $8k dollar regal..but its not gonna be that easy anymore , cars are running low 11s and high 10s out of the showroom. They have to put a cap on it at some point? any 18 year old punky kid with $$$ can go out and pick up 700hp on a weekend purchase.

Its crazy that the new shit is getting so quick the gap is closing in on our cars, the best joy of our cars a few years ago was beating a $60k car with a $8k dollar regal..but its not gonna be that easy anymore , cars are running low 11s and high 10s out of the showroom. They have to put a cap on it at some point? any 18 year old punky kid with $$$ can go out and pick up 700hp on a weekend purchase.
I don't know of many 18 year old kids that have enough $$$ or credit to buy a $60k car. When I started driving a corvette zr1 was $33k or so. Probably a good equivalent price based on inflation. I worked my ass off to buy a GN when I was 18. Cost about $6000 in 1994. Amazing you could buy an average driven turbo regal for about $5000 then. Now the same car would be 12-15k

I don't know of many 18 year old kids that have enough $$$ or credit to buy a $60k car. When I started driving a corvette zr1 was $33k or so. Probably a good equivalent price based on inflation. I worked my ass off to buy a GN when I was 18. Cost about $6000 in 1994. Amazing you could buy an average driven turbo regal for about $5000 then. Now the same car would be 12-15k

Here on long island theirs a lot of that going on, a lot of under 25 year old guys with srt8 jeeps, gt500s, Gtr's, zr1's,cl600's and other high dollar cars..when I was 18 I put myself in major hock for a 88 trans am Gta , their wasn't too many choices back then for speed but the Gn, unless you wanted to go to an un-streetable muscle car.

Here on long island theirs a lot of that going on, a lot of under 25 year old guys with srt8 jeeps, gt500s, Gtr's, zr1's,cl600's and other high dollar cars..when I was 18 I put myself in major hock for a 88 trans am Gta , their wasn't too many choices back then for speed but the Gn, unless you wanted to go to an un-streetable muscle car.
Sorry this boards been so dead lately I gotta ramble on about something:muted:

From what I have seen at the strip, these so called 11 second cars are lucky to break into the 12s. I don't think allot of guys that spend that much coin are willing to push the cars hard enough.
Hell at first I was nervous taking my $25k G8 to the strip.
The new Charger is really tempting for a family man like myself.... 60k doesn't seem like much when I'm out shopping for a new SUV. A fully loaded Tahoe has a sticker of $75k. absolutely ridiculous.

It takes a lot more than a hp number and advertised or actual time to win a race. It takes a little too much spinning, a missed shift, blah blah. lol. You get my point.
IMO, if you have a high 10 low 11 car that is very consistent, you hace a great chance to win a race against a hellcat.
On any sunday . . . . :cool:

unfortunately it weighs as much as a tank. u can buy a newer Mustang GT with a blower on it that will make the same HP and weigh 500 lbs less. and cost less then half as much. that car doesn't impress me at all. sorry but $70,000 for a dodge challenger makes me lol. and its just not a good lookn car by any stretch of the imagination.