Hate On Dodge All You Want, But The Hellcat Is Not Playing Around... (Dyno Numbers Inside)

Great thread material, DJ
Let's see: 1 poster out of 22 posters unhappy.
Hey, non Mopar Race Jace, how about some credit where credit is due.
I'm a ex Mopar guy, having owned a '70 Dodge Challenger TA, '69
Plymouth GTX 440 & 727, & a '68 Hemi GTX & 4 speed.
Now I'm a turbo Buick (having owned 5 consecutive TB's, guy,
& a Cad '09 CTS-V guy with about 675 RWHP.

Last edited:
Same and / or similar type of threads regarding the new Dodge Hellcat currently appear on LS1TECH, Cadillac Owners, CTS-V Owners, & 1911Addicts to name but a few.
Yes, this is the Turbo Lounge, but I see nothing wrong with this type of a thread in the lounge, turbo or otherwise. IMHO, YMMV.
However, if you feel that I am being unfair, post up or send me a PM & I will contact 1 of the admins & ask for a evaluation.
Jason, I did not mean that you cannot state something bad about Mopar or Challenger.
Open forum subject, there will be various opinions. All opinions count.

Last edited:
I have a chevy work van that takes several tries to fix at the gm dealer. If I had problems with the hellcat I would be real nervous about taking it in. It would would be the car all the mechanics get to learn on.

Great thread material, DJ
Let's see: 1 poster out of 22 posters unhappy.
Hey, non Mopar Race Jace, how about some credit where credit is due.
I'm a ex Mopar guy, having owned a '70 Dodge Challenger TA, '69
Plymouth GTX 440 & 727, & a '68 Hemi GTX & 4 speed.
Now I'm a turbo Buick (having owned 5 consecutive TB's, guy,
& a Cad '09 CTS-V guy with about 675 RWHP.
Thank ya Gary!

Man, I didn't realize how much MOPAR stuff you had owned before. That's an impressive list of former cars!

I am not saying anything bad about the hellcat just saying this is a buick turbo website .....
No worries, Jason. I was just playfully responding to you. I know it's a Turbo Buick website. I've been around these parts for a while.

I have a chevy work van that takes several tries to fix at the gm dealer. If I had problems with the hellcat I would be real nervous about taking it in. It would would be the car all the mechanics get to learn on.

Learn what??? Wrenching or racing???

I say both, just leave the 500HP key with them as they will surely beat the HELL cat out of it no matter which key you give them.

Auto car - 669/606 - 11.7 @ 125.4 in the 1/4... on a non-prepped track (possibly starting in 2nd gear?), 30.1 @173.8 standing mile.

[video=youtube_share;_BZOcxQQC2M]

Auto car - 669/606
Unless these new 8 speeds are amazing, that's only 5% drivetrain loss. From 707.

Underrated?

I haven't done the HP 1/4 mile calculation with the weight, but it's a Dodge, so I figure it's around 8,000lbs?......maybe 9,000?

Last edited:
Someone needs to put one of those cars on a diet and a pulley change and then, really look out.

We can all talk all the smack we want, but 600 hsp is a entry level requirement to get in the mix on the street these days.

Unless these new 8 speeds are amazing, that's only 5% drivetrain loss. From 707.

Underrated?

I haven't done the HP 1/4 mile calculation with the weight, but it's a Dodge, so I figure it's around 8,000lbs?......maybe 9,000?
Yea, I think it weighs in at about what a 2500HD does. So that 9,000 is probably right. LOL

Severely underrated. And that says a lot when it's rated for 700+. Gotta love the horsepower wars. Now come on GM and turn up the boost on the CTS-Vs!

I beg to differ. This car is gonna temp some mid-life crisis potential Vette buyer. Guys are gonna or pissed if they do absolutely no mods and take it to the track a few times, mess something up, and end up having to foot the bill because the warranty doesn't cover what they would define as "abuse". Someone's hard earned cash is just that. A recent retiree that buys himself a 60,000 present isn't gonna want to shell out another 5, 10, 20,000 on a denied warranty claim because something broke while he was trying to get a 10 second time slip.

Not saying they would deny the claim, but it's been done before (case in point, Lancer Evo)
Most retirees that buy cars like this will probably also know the driving style is recorded and that the dealer can access it when a warranty related claim is presented. The dealer doesn't force anyone to keep their warranty. When they buy the car they agree to the terms of it. I'm not sure if it says you can't drag race it or track it or what modifications are permissible. I know of one that was denied several years ago because the owner neglected to clean all the burnout off his car before he brought it in for service. You guessed it the car was modified. Had nitrous installed which was removed. The transmission had been broken twice. From what I've seen car manufacturers fix a lot of broken shit out of good will even when they could push a little harder if they wanted to deny the claim. The Internet is making it quite a bit easier to track people and their bullshit with forums like this and social media. Since they just can't resist posting up their floggings. 60,000 for a car is well out of the "dick beater" range and will prevent a lot of bullshit warranty claims itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most retirees that buy cars like this will probably also know the driving style is recorded and that the dealer can access it when a warranty related claim is presented. The dealer doesn't force anyone to keep their warranty. When they buy the car they agree to the terms of it. I'm not sure if it says you can't drag race it or track it or what modifications are permissible. I know of one that was denied several years ago because the owner neglected to clean all the burnout off his car before he brought it in for service. You guessed it the car was modified. Had nitrous installed which was removed. The transmission had been broken twice. From what I've seen car manufacturers fix a lot of broken shit out of good will even when they could push a little harder if they wanted to deny the claim. The Internet is making it quite a bit easier to track people and their bullshit with forums like this and social media. Since they just can't resist posting up their floggings. 60,000 for a car is well out of the "dick beater" range and will prevent a lot of bullshit warranty claims itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. Just curious if John Doe bought one, brought it to the strip and ran it for 10-15 passes unmodified, something broke, then warranty claim denied for abuse when all they've been touting is its a "10 second car on drag radials".

Time will tell. And like you said, guaranteed some dickwad will throw a pulley and spray on one, screw something up, put it back to stock and make a claim that's denied because his GoPro footage showed he abused it.

I'm mainly talking the average buyer who does no modifications whatsoever to it.