Has anyone ground there pushrods to correct lengths?ushrods

Tim Cucci

I know it sounds crazy but has anyone done this? I have experimented with old pushrods and was able to put a nice ball and polish finish to the exact length I wanted. I'm talking about taking. up to .020 or maybe 030 off between the two ends and reshaping and polishing with a belt sander and pushrod chucked in drill motor. Also used 2000 grit pad and pushrod chucked in a drill motor. Also used fine lapping compound. This did not take very much time to do. Yea I know it sounds nuts but it seemed to work and just how accurate are the stamped rockers? Also used a radius gauge.

So much for grinding your needed lengths huh? I guess Roller rockers are the only way to get the preload exact?

So much for grinding your needed lengths huh? I guess Roller rockers are the only way to get the preload exact?
Your thoughts are on the right track regarding stock rocker variation.

Despite popular believe and opinions, I used adjustable pushrods from Smith brothers with PAC beehive springs, 135 seat pressure, Full throttle roller cam. Running 5 years, no issues. It's a budget option. :D

To each is own but if it were me, I would get a measuring tool (basically a adjustable push rod) and measure the actual distance @ 0 lash. Add the desired pre load to that and order some pushrods. Cut and dry.

Yikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No way in hell I would ever try that.

The trick is to get an exact measurement of the pushrod your engine needs then do a search. If you're lucky the length matches up with a common car.
After lowering my rocker shaft centerline and going roller, my pushrods just happen to be SBC +.150.

Rather than buy custom lengths, I got a set of 16 really nice hardened pushrods for something like $18.

It will not work for many reasons. Shaping the ends by eye is just bad news. If the ends are not perfectly symmetrical it will not rotate. If it doesn't rotate it will develop a wear pattern. When all that happens you will end up buying the right parts you should of had plus the expense of rockers and maybe lifters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calling Trend today! I understand grinding was a crazy thought to do. But I had to ask. I will review my thoughts and innovation a lot more critical before posting stupid questions again. My valvetrain has a lot of variables that affect preload. PP iron heads, SS Ferra Valves, milled heads for flat, Revolution cam with Morrel lifters, valve job etc. I just want to get preload as close as possible without going to Roller rockers or adj. pushrods. I do have the correct tools to check with such as a checking rod and calibrated Brown and Sharp dial calipers.
Thanks for the help. I'm done with this one. LOL.. Yikes.

Those calipers won't help as easy as it seems. Our pushrods use an oil hole so the rated distance isn't the same as the measured distance.

When a pushrod is "X" long, it's pretending that the ball ends are intact.

Those calipers won't help as easy as it seems. Our pushrods use an oil hole so the rated distance isn't the same as the measured distance.

When a pushrod is "X" long, it's pretending that the ball ends are intact.

Hmm?
Maybe I'm missing something here?
My checking pushrod is 5/16 and has an oil hole . If I check from lifter to rocker at a slight snug feel (0 lash) and the check rod measures 8.000 end to end with dial calipers, then I put in a 8.025 pushrod also measured end to end with the same caliper , wouldn't this give me .025 preload. The caliper is just to reference measurement right? As long as the checker and the pushrod are relatively close on oil hole size and half the ball isn't gone. So why not use the Calipers?

I ordered pushrods from Trend that always measure longer than the etched length on the pushrod. 8.025 etched length measure 8.038. w / oil hole

I ordered pushrods from Howards Cams that measure dead on end to end. 8.000 etched length measure 8.000. w / oil hole
I guess thats why I use the caliper for reference. Given that the diameter and radius of the balls are the same.

Ordered pushrods yesterday from Trend. 8.000 that will actually measure 8.018 and ordered 8.025 that will actually measure 8.038. end to end and oil hole to oil hole.

Last edited:
Diameter and radius are a factor, but it's the oil hole that throws off a caliper measurement. The larger the oil hole the shorter the pushrod will measure.

The oil hole makes the actual length shorter than the rated length.

If you truly want the same preload on all lifters, adjustable roller rockers are the only way, especially if the rest of your valvetrain has variables, valve height, heads milled.
As long as you have .020 to .040 preload, I think your good.

If you truly want the same preload on all lifters, adjustable roller rockers are the only way, especially if the rest of your valvetrain has variables, valve height, heads milled.
As long as you have .020 to .040 preload, I think your good.

Yea. I do agree. I think now with the new pushrods I got from Trend I can hit all of them between 025. To .040. now.
Right now I'm having some shortblock build issues and looks like I can't really afford the $500 to $700 rocker expense.
Thanks

They are expensive. I finally had to break down and bite the bullet and get a set of rollers. I just don't feel good about my 215/220 roller with stock shoe type rockers anymore.

give Dave Husek a call. I think he's got his harland sharps on sale right now.

They are expensive. I finally had to break down and bite the bullet and get a set of rollers. I just don't feel good about my 215/220 roller with stock shoe type rockers anymore.

give Dave Husek a call. I think he's got his harland sharps on sale right now.

I may just break down and do it. Been putting it off a long time. Might have to sell some other parts and come up with dollars. Will stock valve covers work with the rollers? Or do I gotta spend some more??

That's the other fun part... Stock covers won't clear. You'll either need aftermarkets, or some of RJCs valve cover spacers.

It sucks because the amount of money it takes to go roller is not a good bang for the buck performance wise. It's (in my case) a necessary evil for longevity.

That's the other fun part... Stock covers won't clear. You'll either need aftermarkets, or some of RJCs valve cover spacers.

It sucks because the amount of money it takes to go roller is not a good bang for the buck performance wise. It's (in my case) a necessary evil for longevity.
Earl, check your pm box. Thanks.

Back to our regularly scheduled program...