Pushrods too close to sides

EVIL

BANNED FOREVER
Well then. I noticed that some of my pushrods were just touching to the left and right of the holes in the heads.
The pushrod to the left of the clamp was far left and the one to the right was far right. se pics.
On all of them. Like the hole s in the heads for the pushrods were machined too close together.

2014-06-22_16.45.06-1.jpg
2014-06-22_16.44.52-1.jpg

So after some research and speaking with a member the solution was to have the holes in the heads retapped. WELL, since the heads were on the block and i didn’t want to remove them I called harland sharp.

I suggested, what if, i could have .020 to .030 taken off each side of the clamps and then put a same sized shim on the other side of the rockers.

I was told that I COULD do that and that even if the valve tip was .010 or so past the roller that it would be fine. So i went ahead and did this.

2014-07-22_14.33.02-1.jpg

The red arrows show the clamps which i had .030 teen off each side.
the seen arrows show the .030 shims. rear end shims. fit just a hair big but work fine.

I put them all together and on the car and now the pushrods have plenty of clearance.

ALSO. The HS gentleman I spoke with said he could make me rocker arms with the holes drilled with a left and right offset in the future and that I could reuse all the parts from mine to save money.

I only ended up with 3 vales that were a few thousandths past the roller.

Any thoughts on this?

HS said, NO WORRIES, it will be fine.

D

. . . . ALSO. The HS gentleman I spoke with said he could make me rocker arms with the holes drilled with a left and right offset in the future and that I could reuse all the parts from mine to save money.

I only ended up with 3 vales that were a few thousandths past the roller.

Any thoughts on this?

HS said, NO WORRIES, it will be fine.

D

Most of the heads i have seen have this issue. Granted I have not seen a lot. I did not keep track for statistical analysis.

I think it will be fine.

Be interesting to see how many heads out there are the same way, and have HS just make the rockers so the rods are a bit more centered.

I don't see an issue with it. I have done similar modifications on heads in the past with presumably larger spring pressure and rpm than you are running and never had any issues. This is a clearance I check when test fitting heads as mentioned above it happens fairly often.

Mine looked like that on the stock engine and same on a rebuild stroker with Champion heads. Don't go chasing things just because they don't look right.

Before you did the shimming, did the pushrods look angled coming up from the lifters?

No, they did not look angled. they were parallel with the hole, just not centered.

D