Has anyone done a Type II ingition swap

sphinx

I was at the junkyard this morning and grabbed and ignition module off of an 87' Riviera which according tp the gnttype website is the one I need. Only thing is the module is missing one pin, the very end one on the left. The donor car had all 14 wires on the connector but I guess the one for the missing pin wasn't doing anything. Is this the right one or do I need to keep looking?

I'm curious about this ignition swap as well. I've heard that the stock ignition wasn't exactly up to par. Any major advantages to change to a type 2 set up?

Thanks,

I drove WE4 car with a Type II ignition and the only difference I noticed was excessive rf interference on the radio. WE4 told me about it. I was picking my son up from school and I turned the radio on and a bunch of static followed.

Originally posted by Nas-T-V6
I'm curious about this ignition swap as well. I've heard that the stock ignition wasn't exactly up to par. Any major advantages to change to a type 2 set up?

Thanks,
Humm, not up to par? The issue of it not being up to par is with very hi revving engines if memory serves me right. The stock ignition is certainly enough for 6500 RPM or more. I have a standard old GN ignition module on my stage car. Easily provides enough spark for 9.8’s at 140. I have revved the motor to 6700 on occasion when I missed a shift light and car kept pulling. Eric Rankin liked them so much that he ran 2 of them with his 8.2 second motor that propelled that car to 169.5 MPH…. Is the stock ignition up to par, yes! A buddy of ours ran a type II on his GN and had all kinds of trouble. He took it down to Rich’s Custom Auto one weekend, we ripped it off and put on an old reliable stock unit and problem solved. Personally, stick with the stock unit, never hear about people having trouble with them unless you burn out a coil or module but then that can happen on the type II as well.

type 2 ingition

I tried the type 2 system and had nothing but problems. My advise stay with the stock system.

REG

sphinx
You are right, the Type II doesn't use one wire "P". If it plugs in it will work. You might have to modify the module plate on the bottom
I have been running the Type II for a few years and have had no problems with it. It has a slightly better idle (15% more spark energy over the Magnavox) and I don't rev very high, so I have no breakdown problems like others claim at higher rpms. The reason I changed, was my stock coil pack died and I thought I would try the type II before I shelled out for the stock replacement Magnavox setup. I have never looked back.
The other up side to the Delco setup is that you can replace individual coils if one fails.

Paul

Originally posted by Sleeper
sphinx
You are right, the Type II doesn't use one wire "P". If it plugs in it will work. You might have to modify the module plate on the bottom
I have been running the Type II for a few years and have had no problems with it. It has a slightly better idle (15% more spark energy over the Magnavox) and I don't rev very high, so I have no breakdown problems like others claim at higher rpms. The reason I changed, was my stock coil pack died and I thought I would try the type II before I shelled out for the stock replacement Magnavox setup. I have never looked back.
The other up side to the Delco setup is that you can replace individual coils if one fails.

Paul
I guess if your old one crapped out and you could get a type II in a junk yard it makes since. It's been a long time since I bought a new stock coil pack but I don't remember it being that expensive, same with the module. Personally I think it's just nuts to swap out a working stock setup for a type II. Seems they either work or they don't work, too much risk and expense to just swap one in unless you are having a problem. Just my $.02. I'll stick with my stock setup's on both cars. On the stage car if it went, I'd probably go with the MSD setup as I think they have finally figured out the bugs with their Buick setup.

Originally posted by Sleeper
I agree with you Art...If it ain't broke don't fix it. :)

Paul
Amen to that! If you race these cars long and hard enough there is always plenty of opportunities to break something. No reason ti fix something that aint broke (yet)! :)

The reason I was looking into the swap was idle problems with no codes and I was at the end of my rope troubleshooting. I hate swapping new parts (especailly expensive ones) when I don't know the cause of the problem. The type II did straighten out my problem so I guess it was a defective ignition module Which make me feel kinda stupid for not looking at it earlier.
thanks

Another advantage for the Type II is that Delco makes a hotter coil for it under part number GM-1106008, Delco D546. These coils were used on the 92-93 M85(85% methanol)powered Chevy Lumina. As you know the coil needs more voltage to light off a load of alcohol than it does for gasoline. Eric Fisher

Originally posted by turbofish38
Another advantage for the Type II is that Delco makes a hotter coil for it under part number GM-1106008, Delco D546. These coils were used on the 92-93 M85(85% methanol)powered Chevy Lumina. As you know the coil needs more voltage to light off a load of alcohol than it does for gasoline. Eric Fisher

good info.i'm gonna look into this.have you bought some from the dealer?what kinda $$?

Originally posted by gofstbuick
I drove WE4 car with a Type II ignition and the only difference I noticed was excessive rf interference on the radio. WE4 told me about it. I was picking my son up from school and I turned the radio on and a bunch of static followed.

So what is the cause and cure for the radio problems with the Type II set-up?

Originally posted by turbofish38
The good price is $39.00 each. Should be cheaper through Delco and partsdirect. Eric
Check GM parts direct.....$27.93 each. 3 are required bringing the total to $83.79 plus shipping;) BTW stock coilpack for 86-87 TR's on GM parts direct is $62.63 plus shipping and only one is required....I think:D Part number for the original coil pack on our cars is 12353801

Originally posted by Two Lane
So what is the cause and cure for the radio problems with the Type II set-up?

Why would the Type II upgrade cause radio static, and what is the cure?

Does this occur with every switch to the Type II set-up?

TIA!! :confused: :) :confused:

Originally posted by 6pack
Check GM parts direct.....$27.93 each. 3 are required bringing the total to $83.79 plus shipping;) BTW stock coilpack for 86-87 TR's on GM parts direct is $62.63 plus shipping and only one is required....I think:D Part number for the original coil pack on our cars is 12353801
All the more reason to stick with the stock coil pack. I've got one on each of my cars and no trouble. One is 15 years old and the other is on my 9-second stage car so the stock unit is durable (lasted 15 years and still going) and is also up to the task in a 9 second application. Now I don’t have a nigh mileage application but I know plenty of people that have gotten 60K-100K miles out of the stock unit.

Yes if you eventually have to replace a coil the individual coil is cheaper but if you're getting 15 years out of the stock one then where's the savings? Come on, $70 every 10 years, you'll spend more than that on chewing gum in 10 years!

I'm all for more spark but if you don't have an application to take advantage of it, what's the point?

magnavox swap to delco

Hello, iam a new member. I have a 87 Buick Lesabre T type, iam trying to swap from magnvox to delco. Has anyone done this swap. Thanks for any
help, Aggie.

type II

no problems with typeII been on my car for 3+ years no radio interfereance at all plug and play direct swap and ck e-bay for the coils very cheep.two thumbs up on this one:D