Has anyone done a Type II ingition swap

I have done alot of checking on this swap, i have tried coils and ICM from
a 87 Lesabre that had the Delco setup, i have tried92 Grand Am 3300 vin N,
i have tried 92 3300 vin N ciera all of these were from A/C Delco swap list.
All parts checked out ok, the engine turns over but will not start. It sounds
like the timing is 180 out, missing, poping, back firing threw the throttle body.
When i put the Magnavox back on it fires right back up. Only reason why iam
swaping over is for a better smoother idele. Thanks for any help. Aggie.

I have been running a type II since my stocker took a dump on my '87 GN. It works fine. I picked two up in a junkyard... already pulled... for $80.... module and coilpack...

Oh... my tach doesn't work sine the conversion.... at first I thought it just went out.... but then I read somewhere... that it won't work after a type II conversion..... other than that.... they work.

Blazer406 thanks for the reply, what was the year and make and vin # of your donner
car that you got the coil and ICM out of. Thanks, Aggie

like the timing is 180 out, missing, poping, back firing threw the throttle body.

Just make sure you are using a 3X ignition module, not an 18X.

check that your plug wires are in the right place on the typeII coils:confused:
My stock tach works with type II :rolleyes:

Thank you for the replys, on my magnavox setup the #s on my coil are on
both sides one side 1,5,3 other side 4,2,6 On the Delco type II they are in
a straight line 6,3,2,5,4,1 On the block, one side meaning clyinders is 1,3,5
the other side 2,4,6 when i wire the plugs on the delco setup iam going from
block to coil 1/1, 2/2, 3/3 etc, etc, etc. Can i possabley missing something.
Thanks for all the help, Aggie.

Blazer406 thanks for the reply, what was the year and make and vin # of your donner
car that you got the coil and ICM out of. Thanks, Aggie

Here is my old thread. The coilpacks/modules were already out of the cars.... not sure what they came out of.... but I tried both... and both work fine.

My type II Thread

HTH

I believe a VDO tach is the only one that won't work with the type-II.

I guess something else is wrong with my tach then....:mad:

Not that it is much good for anything... I wish Buick would have given me an oil pressure gauge instead of a tach on an engine that quit making power before 5000 RPM..... would have made more sense....

I'll put it this way

I guess something else is wrong with my tach then....:mad:

Not that it is much good for anything... I wish Buick would have given me an oil pressure gauge instead of a tach on an engine that quit making power before 5000 RPM..... would have made more sense....

My cyberdyne and my sons Autometer work but the old mans VDO would not.

Type II here. It's worked well for several years. No loss up top, better idle, and no RFI noticable. I got it cheap and decided to try it. Pulled my good stock set-up and stuck it on. Ran so well I haven't bothered to swap back.

Hey guys

This is really going to be a new mod for the buicks before long. Magnavox is no longer supporting the build of our stock ignition modules. So meaning that you will have to get a another manufacture to build them. (wells,standard,gpsoreson) My stock ICM has been replaced 2 times with a gm unit. When the last one went out. I tried to get a new one from gm and they told me about the magnavox discontinued making the ICM's .

So i went to Advance auto and bought a GP sorenson unit and it would not even fire up the car. so i swapped it out and it would not work also.

so i had them order 3 more and i proceeded to check all of the in the store with a casper's tester and out of the five only one would spark and it was a weak spark.

So i just done the deed and built a delco type II and the car runs better and the hotter spark allowed me to run the car a tad bit leaner @ cruise speed without any hick-ups/fish nibble.

Also gm used to sells a change over bracket for the gn to have a bolt in swap. i think it was like 15 bucks last time i checked.

Also about the missing pin. The stock ICM and coil pack power is fed from 2 different pins using the pink/black wires.

The delco unit is a much more effiecent and only needs to be powered up using one pin. so the other pin was omitted in the Delco ICM.

87-90 3.8 FWD car use the 3X from 91-up they use the 18x fast start ICM .

Also about the missing pin. The stock ICM and coil pack power is fed from 2 different pins using the pink/black wires.

The delco unit is a much more effiecent and only needs to be powered up using one pin. so the other pin was omitted in the Delco ICM.

87-90 3.8 FWD car use the 3X from 91-up they use the 18x fast start ICM .

Here's a link on how to convert over to fast start courtesy of our late friend Bruce. Quick Start Installation - TurboBuicks.com

I was at the junkyard this morning and grabbed and ignition module off of an 87' Riviera which according tp the gnttype website is the one I need. Only thing is the module is missing one pin, the very end one on the left. The donor car had all 14 wires on the connector but I guess the one for the missing pin wasn't doing anything. Is this the right one or do I need to keep looking?
Type II swap done year ago with methanol coils , no problems at all :wink: , smoother idle ,no radio problems and for the member that could not get motor started after the swap :confused: , yeeh , its your crossed wires , have to check that ! :tongue:

Where am i going wrong on the wires. On the new setup Type II the numbers
on the coils go from right to left 1 4 5 2 3 6 . Iam starting with # 1 on the
coil and going to # 1 plug etc,etc. Iam sure the order hasnt changed from
magnovox to delco, or has it. Please let me know if iam wiring it wrong. Many
thanks, Aggie.

Where am i going wrong on the wires. On the new setup Type II the numbers
on the coils go from right to left 1 4 5 2 3 6 . Iam starting with # 1 on the
coil and going to # 1 plug etc,etc. Iam sure the order hasnt changed from
magnovox to delco, or has it. Please let me know if iam wiring it wrong. Many
thanks, Aggie.

The number 1 cylinder is located on the driver side front. the driver side of the engine is the odd number cylinders and the pass side is the even number cylinders. this is with you standing in front of the car.

If it's a front wheel drive the odd side will be the side closest to the firewall.

The number 1 cylinder is located on the driver side front. the driver side of the engine is the odd number cylinders and the pass side is the even number cylinders. this is with you standing in front of the car.

If it's a front wheel drive the odd side will be the side closest to the firewall.

on the type II coils looking from the front of the car the back left(passenger side) 4-2-6,front starting with the passinger side are 1-5-3

Ed

You got the plug wire sequence correct. Trying to figure out what ICM you ended up using from all of the posts. That ICM needs to come from a 86-87 3.8 SFI car. The newer years have the wrong pin out as what was pointed out in Bruces quick start thread. Make sure you get the adapter bracket too. It wont do anything unless its properly grounded.

The ICM came out of a 87 buick Lesabre that already had the Delco setup.
It was a 3.8 as well. I thought on the one side it went 1 3 5 in the post
they said 1 5 3. Thanks, Aggie.

You got the plug wire sequence correct. Trying to figure out what ICM you ended up using from all of the posts. That ICM needs to come from a 86-87 3.8 SFI car. The newer years have the wrong pin out as what was pointed out in Bruces quick start thread. Make sure you get the adapter bracket too. It wont do anything unless its properly grounded.

I got lucky on mine then..... mine were already pulled on the shelf at the junkyard.... both fire right up on mine.....