Has anybody done any rust wax on the underbody?

troyk

I looked at Ziebart & I have looked at products to put on my self, anybody have any recommendations? I'm leaning toward Ziebart doing the work, because they probably know how to find all the hidden spots that I don't know of.

http://www.fluid-film.com/applications/automotive/

Bought a kit off ebay that came with a gallon of fluid film and the undercoating gun, paid under $100.
I used it on my jeep lasted 6 months so far, very easy to do yourself with a small compressor, you could even just use the spray cans but will cost more.
I also use this stuff on my boat and jet ski's its very thick and has an odd smell, but works great doesn't wash off.
I used like 2 quarts to cover the underside, The Jeep is smaller then the GN so a gallon or 5-6 cans should be more then enough.

I am curious about this too. My frame off hybrid will be done by spring, and the entire floodplain was covered in bedliner, but the frame is a glossy chassis paint. I have contemplated coating the frame with something like this.

My local paint shop even suggested zeibart, He thinks they use similar stuff as, sorry got bad memory, new ford or dodge trucks, something that sounds like it is hot wax when they spray it in & cools & hardens in the hidden spots, they of course do some sort of rust converter 1st.

something that sounds like it is hot wax when they spray it in & cools & hardens in the hidden spots, they of course do some sort of rust converter 1st.

GM did something similar at the factory, only they dipped the frame in hot wax instead of spraying it on. Got into those nooks and crannies for sure. But given the number of rusted out frames out there, I wonder how effective it is and for how long. This is why a lot of people use POR-15 instead.

EDIT: Of course, POR-15 is hard to apply inside the frame, which is where stuff piles up, so I wonder how effective that is, too .... guess it depends what you mean by "underbody."

Last edited:
I sprayed por 15 on the underbelly when I first got the car and then their topcoat. it has done very well and is tough as nails. As for inside areas I shot a waxy product that Eastwood sells. Got inside the doors, fenders, trunk area etc.

Here in Canada, there are several rust-proofing business (Ziebart, Rust-Check, Metropolitan, etc…) which will spray some oil-based stuff everywhere under the car, inside the doors, quarter panels, etc… Of course each has it's own "recipe" and they all claim to have the best… :rolleyes: … and most give good results as long as it's done right, not missing any areas. BUT…some people think that once it's done, it's good for life… NOT true. The key in this is to have it redone every year .

Claude