has any one ever seen this on a turbo car?

turbotoyz

under reconstruction!
was driving home last night, which was less than a mile and when i got home there was a trail of oil and the whole bottom of the car was soaked. got to checking and it was the oil filter the seal was hanging out. i have only seen this once before and it was on a 3.8 camaro that the fram oil filter bypassed and caused too much pressure, which i think thats what has happond here. if anyone has seen this let me know. thanks

:) turbotoyz

Were you running a fram filter? I had run a fram ONLY ONCE...
for about 75 miles, and beleive me.. BIG MISTAKE..

once i developd a LOUD lifter tick for 15 miles, then it magicly went away, i cant imagine what else it was doing to my engine..

went with stock AC delco and its been great since.

no i am running a pf47 delco thats what shocked me. but more closer look it looks like a gold mine in the oil out of the filter. so looks like i need to pull the pan and check my bearings.:(

I have seen people change their oil and not realize hte old oring was still there,hence now there is 2 orings and one will blow out.Not saying that your problem but i would check
Otto

thanks bro i wish that was the case, it looks like i may have found all my KR for real. but oh well this is one way to learn. but if it is hurt ithink i will have my service mananger call his rep. the last camaro they had to short block it.

Originally posted by KLHAMMETT
I have seen people change their oil and not realize hte old oring was still there,hence now there is 2 orings and one will blow out.Not saying that your problem but i would check
Otto

I've heard of the same thing. I always double check the old filter before I put the new one on. Could be a very messy (and expensive) screw up!

-Banning.

Something else to check is the nut that holds the filter on. I have seen these come loose and either the filter will get loose and leak or the oil cooler adaptor will come loose and blow the O-ring out.

Take Care

thats the funny thing the seal was sticking out at the bottom like a horseshoe shape and the filter was tight i had to use a oil filter wrench to unsnug it when it was loose i unscrewed it by hand and when i got it off the seal was not cut and went right back in the top of the filter. totally weird!

turbotoyz

Drain the oil out of the filter and look down the center pipe of the filter. If it is pushed in (looks like it been squeezed in on 4 sides), then it is possible that the relief valve stuck and your oil pressure went sky high.
Been there done that... very messy

Gary:(

This happened to me before

Was the weather cold when this happened? Do you know what rating the pressure spring is for your oil pump?
The first year I put my engine together it was fine....until winter hit. One morning I had the car sitting in front of my house warming up when all of a sudden I heard tapping from my motor then saw a puddle of oil under my engine. The o-ring had blown out of my pf52 AC Delco oil filter. I had never heard of this happening before. I went and picked up another Delco filter and installed it. Started the car up and within 30 seconds the o-ring blew.
Took a minute or two troubleshooting, then I just went ahead and pulled the spring out of the oil pump (this was also the easiest thing I could think of) and replaced it with a stock rated one. I dont remember which spring was in there, but I know it was rated at more lbs. than stock. I know the springs are color coded, etc. etc. but without doing some research Im not sure on any specs right now. A new oil pump comes with several springs to choose from (different lbs/pressure ratings) and instructions with specs. Mine was made by Melling.
Oh yeah, this solved the problem. That was about 3 years ago. dont know if this is your problem but it is very possible. Not too many things it could be. Good luck.

Hmm, i might have a high pressure spring in my pump, but my oil filter never blew out. TType84 had the same problem i believe, or something similar, every time he changes his oil. the seal popped out on him and he had no oil pressure.

My oil pressure relief spring seems to be 86 psi or so, because it will not surpass that number on cold start up. usually hits 80 or so, colder days it hits 86, but wont go past when you touch the gas really. hot idle without a oil cooler is anywhere from 15 to 22 depending on how hot it is outside and coolant temperature. I use mobile 1 15-50 in the summer and castrol Syntec 5-50 in the winter, the 50 figure since i do not have a oil cooler. I figure that since the oil gets hotter i would like it to thin less under high temps. Is this too high? dont want my 0 ring blowin out . . . . .

it sounds to me like it was just too cold and since you only had to drive home 1 mile, i would think that with rpm it got too high and popped it. I havent had a problem with the NAPA filters on my TTA even at 80+psi cold but I did go back and change the spring to a 70# spring instead of the 80# one I first installed.

well got the pan off tonight and found nothing unusal (thank god!) also was able to see the cam and nothing there. i think yal are on to something with the springs my service amniger came to the same thought that it just bypassed being it was 44 or so degrees and the car was ice cold and my pressure is usually 75 or so. well i pulled the spring out and it is a yellow and by the instructions from my high volume kit it is rated at 60 psi the kit has a red spring that is rated at 70 do i need to install this one or i also have the stock spring and plunger for it?? thanks for the replys guys i have never seen this and i am glad i am not alone.

:) turbotoyz

it was 44 or so degrees and the car was ice cold
Hahaaa! 44 degrees....ice cold, hahaha. It was probably 20 degrees when mine happened! I guess 40 degrees is probably cold for Texas, huh?
If the car wasnt warmed up and you just drove for one mile the pressure was probably up a little higher from the cold + rpms (as 1badTTA mentioned).

well 44 is colder here:rolleyes: :) with a wind chill of 39 but i guess it was just its time. i will talk with my mananger tomarrow and most likley just put it back together with a pf52 not a 47 like i was running and try it maybe with the red stiffer spring.