Harmonic Balancer problems

White Out

I picked up a supercharged Olds 98 from my uncle for free last month. It has been in my buddies shop since then. It had a bad harmonic balancer and it was replaced. Before I got the car back the new balancer went out. It was replaced. I pick the car up a few days later drive it about 20 miles and the new harmonic balancer goes out again. It is now at his shop. Any ideas why it is going through harmonic balancers like R Kelly goes through dead hookers? :confused:

Nick

Well, that doesn't make much sense to me. The balancers going bad on these engines is very uncommon. Is it possible that the end of the crank is bad (bent, scored, etc.)? What is happening when the balancer goes out?

I have never heard of one going bad myself. We had one guy have Inteses go bad on them after 3,000 miles. Check the car over to see if its been wrecked? I just don't know my self.

We dropped the parts supplier to my buddies shop and went through a GM dealer. Over 400 miles later the car runs perfect. Guess it was a design flaw in the non-GM part. The car is up for sale though, after putting over 400 miles on it over the couse of a week (still have gas left :D ) I decided this car isn't for me. I am more of a "drivers car" type car, not somthing comfortable, smooth riding, and with all the ammenities as my dad's 2004 Denali. So she is up for sale $2,600 obo. Here is a picture of her all dirty.

Nick

Attachments

• Day 2.jpg
    Day 2.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 182
I've replaced many harmonic balancers on the 3800's. The rubber breaks loose and it starts knocking back and forth. Usually, the customer thinks the engine is blown due to the knocking noise.