Hardened input shaft?

Skylard

After 6 weeks of running a new 200-4r the input shaft broke while driving on the street.
The builder said he may have made a mistake and used a non- hardened shaft.
Can anyone tell if it's hardened or not?
I took a file to the broken piece and it seems soft to me.

Attachments

• input shaft.jpg
    input shaft.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 339
The oem uses the rolled spline method of producing splines.That looks like a rolled spline to me.I have the only input shaft with the undercut after the converter charge pilot and ground bushing journals like the stocker but the taper on the end of the splines of ours is different. So it appears you got a stock shaft.

The oem uses the rolled spline method of producing splines.That looks like a rolled spline to me.I have the only input shaft with the undercut after the converter charge pilot and ground bushing journals like the stocker but the taper on the end of the splines of ours is different. So it appears you got a stock shaft.

Tell me, would a top notch trans builder know this is a stock shaft just by looking at it? Are they easy to mix up?

Any one of the well known builders building these things knows what a billet input shaft is.Be sure to deal with the builders on this forum.We cant do you wrong because you have the upper hand,the power of the internet.There is a full list of us on the top of the trans talk forum"I want everyone to know who is who"something like that.

Stock vs "hardened". Or in this case, billet CK shaft. First photo shows the converter end. 2nd photo is the overrun clutch pack end. VERY good workmanship. Easy to tell the difference between the stock and the good one. :D

Attachments

• CK01.jpg
    CK01.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 309
  • CK04.JPG
    CK04.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 314
Hardened isn't billet.

I believe some builders are using heat treated/cryro'd etc input shafts.

Art Carr for example.

Be sure to deal with the builders on this forum.We cant do you wrong because you have the upper hand,the power of the internet.

Not entirely true. Upper hand don't mean sh!t when it comes to warranty (or money)...thats all I'm saying.

This is in no way a shot at Chris, never done business with him.

Bryan

You did not have a billet shaft

Period.
Hardened, maybe, but a waste of time and money if so.
We (meaning the vendors producing) spent alot of time and money to cure this. But what you got is inferior. A true CK or PTS Xtreme input shaft would have never broken like that. And if it was one of ours, you can bet your booty that Chris or I would be banging on your door to not only replace it , but wanting it back so we could have a metal ergist anylize it to find out what actually took place. I had one years ago that broke and there was an air bubble in the metal we could have never known about unless we would have Xrayed every piece. Nothing you can do about that but replace it and now you KNOW why it broke. But out of the hundreds we have sold, I have never heard of ONE breaking except the one discussed above. I am sure Chris will tell you the same thing.
So you know what you need, replace it and move on. Life is WAYYYYYYY too short to fret over that. Not being a jerk, just being honest.;)

Bruce
WE4
PTS Xtreme

Any builder who uses hardened as a way to describe the parts he has replaced in your trans is a dope. All steel that is transferring power better be heat treated properly or it will fail. It cant be the same hardness all the way through or it is going to be brittle. Looks stock to me.