hard to find a honest tranny shop

no-nos

well I went my tranny in to get a new rear seal installed { that's where the oil was coming out at } the tranny ran really good until
it blew the real seal. so I drop it off, 30 days later, he calls me up and tells me, well I really don't want to put a seal in it and then you have problems, etc.etc
I clearly told him, if you think its going to be to much forget it, I lost my union job I had, I just started working after a year out of work. i'm not making the same money I was before, I really can't afford a big repair bill right now, just change the seal, I have too much going on now, again he said, I don't want you to have problems etc.etc.etc. I asked how much would it cost, oh don't worry , you know ill take care of you, i'm like well it cant be too bad, it was running good, how bad can it be $300-$400. that was wishful thinking, I get back oh this is screwed up this gear looks bad, etc.etc.etc. its $1200, I told him I cant do that right now, he then tells me well i'll put your stuff in a box.
in a box? since i'm not fixing it , I guess he wont put it back together again, is this normal? I have taken my tranny to him in the past
and a complete overhaul was only $800. I feel like, i'm being duked, the problem is, or the way I feel better said, is that no matter what is wrong with a tranny, even if its a simple $200 dollar repair, their always going to tell you a grand or more,

please notice I did not mention ANY NAMES, and no, it is not a vendor from this board, I now wish I did buy from a vendor here, I know there are good vendors here. just frustrating, had I known he would not put my tranny back together if I said no, I would have told him just the seal. thanks for letting me vent.

You could have installed a rear seal yourself in under an hour...The shop could have done it in under 10 minutes.

Sounds like this guy is not the place to go.......

Bryan

If it's a repair shop you have to authorize any repairs. So you can go after them that way. Fwiw rear seals don't just leak once they're installed correctly. Something has to make them leak. Like the rear bushing and yoke wasted.

I'd pick up my box, and such, take it home and put it back together. Get a ck manual and a atsg manual and get to work. You can even put a new seal in each end.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Yep something is wrong to make a rear trans seal leak , most of the time the seal does not go bad by itself unless like Bison says bushing or yoke worn bad , GL in getting it fixed after you take it somewhere in a basket tore apart .

Well this is what I got back, he told me this is bad, the whole tranny is bad.
Here are a couple of pics, what do you think? I have no idea. Never worked on a tranny but that will change soon.
Is it as bad as he said. ?

Attachments

• 1386898510215.jpg
    1386898510215.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 212
  • 1386898524425.jpg
    1386898524425.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 202
What does the drum look like? Steels? The other stuff? I can't really tell on my phone but anything can be fixed. Plenty of help from the experts here. I'm sure they will answer your questions.

Well this is what I got back, he told me this is bad, the whole tranny is bad.
Here are a couple of pics, what do you think? I have no idea. Never worked on a tranny but that will change soon.
Is it as bad as he said. ?

Really enjoyed seeing how they took care to at least wrap the pieces in some cardboard, old rags, bubble wrap, ziplock baggies - or even used diapers.
Not that it hurt anything - but not that it helped anything either.
Great guys.

I for one would put him on blast.

My idea would be to grab a known, decent BRF tranny down there and install it.
To hell with numbers matching at this moment.
Then when you can - take you box o' parts and case up to Lonnie or whoever.

Much as I like FL - Everyone in FL always seems to be grinding and angling for a quick buck.

That band is shot. There no way to tell the condition of any of the parts sitting in the box. Looks like a factory stator support. I wouldn't touch a trans like that for under $1200 especially if it may need a new drum.

Did you authorize him to remove the transmission? Installing a new tail bushing and seal takes about 30 minutes in the car. I would have pulled the pan if the bushing was real bad and checked the governor gear with permission, but no need to remove the transmission. If you didn't authorize the work he performed, he is responsible to give you your vehicle back the way you brought it to him. He also needed to give you an estimated dollar amount before doing any work, not by saying I will take care of you.

I just looked at the pictures. I can't believe the way he put everything in that box. Some parts could get damaged. The band was slipping and is bad.