Hard starting / ext. FP guage

Robbie_85GN

Gents, I have a problem. My hotair is hard to start. Seems that on a cool day it'll fire up, on a hot day, it'll crank for a while. Someone mentioned that it may be a bad checkvalve? Where is it and is it hard to replace? Is there anyone here that runs an external fuel pressure guage on the hood of the car also, and can you please give me tips on setting one up? Mahalo...

If you are looking for a temporary solution, I always just ran a line from the fuel rail into a gauge and taped it to my windshield. Definately not a long term fix, but it does work for what I need.

have you checked your fuel pressure when you try to start it? Does the fp kinda jump at key on, or does it climb slowly? When you begin to turn it over does the fp drop or stay solid? Your fuel tank isn't pressured up on hot days is it? Have you messed around with anything near the cam or crank sensors? How about the ignition module?

Ive heard of this check valve, and it was always referring to an intank deal. Im thinking of something attached to the line from the fuel pump. All I know of that was factory inline with the pump was what I thought was a silencer. It may also be a check valve to keep gas in the lines and not flowing back into the tank :confused: , not sure. I do know that whenever we upgrade our pumps this thing gets discarded anyway, so go figure. I do know that I have not seen to many TRs that just start up immediately. Almost everyone Ive been around takes a couple turns then fires up. Its pretty much the norm. Way back when I asked about this, I was told about the check valve deal with the fuel pump. Maybe someone else can verify.

As far as the hood mounted FP gauge, youve got a couple of options. First off you need a fuel rail "T", if you dont already have one. Now, Poston sells a kit with a flexible braided line and gauge that you can hook to the "T" and extend to the windshield. I have used this before and both of my brothers still use it. Just stick it under the winshield wiper and it will stay in place and in view. Good thing about it is that you can stick it back under the hood whenever you want to stay out of sight or for adjustments.
Kenne Bell has a bracket that screws into the underside of the hood (no damage to the hood itself) and extends out and loops up to mount a gauge above, at the edge of the hood.
I basically duplicated the Kenne Bell bracket by cutting some aluminum sheet metal. I then bought a Autometer SportComp gauge and some braided line from the local speed shop and instaled it to the bracket.

mycarsucks...I've used a heavy engine degreaser to clean up the car. The last individual that owned the car did not appreciate and take care of the car.
6sense, thanks for the input sir. I'll try to get the setup for the hood from Kenne Bell. Does he have a website? Thanks for your continued patience with me gents.

Hey man, don't worry about that. Try a search on my name and you'll see all the problems I had trying to get my car to start I understand. If you have any ideas don't be afraid to post them. The GN guys are a pretty tight group and won't give you too much trouble.

Yo Robbie, you should come out to the get together on the 4th or come down to either the pro-import or the Night Cruise meet at Wendy's. You get the meet all the clowns :D in our section.

Turtle TR, I was at the track Sat night. Was told that the GN's were going to be there. I didn't see one. Went to Hawaiian WaterPark and no one was there. My number is 375-8595 please call me the next time you guys are getting together. I'll probably be buying hand-me-downs soon enough. Mahalo...:D