Hallman Boost Controller Install

Aso544

I got my Hallman Boost Controller installed tonight. Few questions before my test drive

1. Do I need to cap off the waste gate solenoid hose fitting ( electric component on valve cover) that the original hose was attached to ?

2. Is the lighter or heavier spring recommend ( current boost is 19-20) ....looking to reach 24-25 if safe on scanmaster. It has the heavier spring installed now.

2.If starting from the closed position, will the HBC add to my current boost of 19-20 lbs or will it start me from 0 lbs and each turn will add boost from there. If from zero, how may turns out ( +) should I use to get a base to start testing.

Thanks for any help

Okay you can leave the solenoid on the valve cover with no line attached . Okay all manual boost controllers are just bleed off valves . So you lowest boost setting would be with the dial all the way out . If you want to increase the boost pressure you would turn the dial in to place more pressure on the spring . If I was you I would run the lines and controller in the car so you can dial it in when you get into boost. I always hated haveing to pullover and pop the hood and take another guess of where my boost will end up .

A bleeder valve and ball and spring type boost controllers are not the same. A bleeder valve(just like the stock boost solenoid) bleeds pressure off the wastegate to allow higher boost. The ball and spring style don't allow any boost pressure to wastegate for quicker spool. The bleeder gives more boost the farther you open it and the ball and spring raise boost the farther you close it. Hallman isn't a bleeder style controller!
http://www.hallmanboostcontroller.com/Pro Series Installation Instructions ld.pdf

A bleeder valve and ball and spring type boost controllers are not the same. A bleeder valve(just like the stock boost solenoid) bleeds pressure off the wastegate to allow higher boost. The ball and spring style don't allow any boost pressure to wastegate for quicker spool. The bleeder gives more boost the farther you open it and the ball and spring raise boost the farther you close it. Hallman isn't a bleeder style controller!
http://www.hallmanboostcontroller.com/Pro Series Installation Instructions ld.pdf
every manual boost controller on the market are ball and spring that is when the spring reaches the set pressure it bleeds off the pressure . So why wouldn't that be considerd a bleed valve ? Just because it's not constantly bleeding ? Anyway I know the different between a solenoid pulsing at a given D.C. And manual boost controller

Thanks for the replies and assistance. Hoping to get a chance to test and adjust it this weekend if rain allows.

So if set to the lowest setting which is all the way out.... does that equal no / minimal boost or does it start at my car's current 19-20 lbs boost and goes up from there.

Also not sure on the lighter or heavier spring.... Im shooting for an additional 4-5 pounds of boost If the scanmaster says it's safe.

Ball and spring type controllers are relief valves. The basically hold back pressure and relieve the excess. If your wastegate is set at 15 psi and the set the relief valve to 5 psi, then 15+5=20 psi. The 5 psi is simply head back by the ball & spring. The are essentially check valves that "crack" or relieve at a certain pressure. Most, like the Hallman, are adjustable.

Bleed valve are just openings (an orifice) that bleed off some pressure to atmosphere. Boost pressure is not held back, it's lost through the opening. The stock solenoid is an example. The orifice size determines the amount of boost pressure lost before reaching the waste actuator.

every manual boost controller on the market are ball and spring that is when the spring reaches the set pressure it bleeds off the pressure . So why wouldn't that be considerd a bleed valve ? Just because it's not constantly bleeding ? Anyway I know the different between a solenoid pulsing at a given D.C. And manual boost controller
Just giving original poster correct info. Also the Hallman and other ball/spring controllers don't allow any pressure to reach the wastegate until cracking pressure. If set at 5 and wastegate is 15 you still have 15#/makes spool quicker. If you set it over wastegate you will make more boost than wastegate spring.
And the factory solenoid works the same as a bleeder valve. I started using a bleeder valve in 93(inside car) and have been using a self made ball/spring controlled for several years.
Follow your Hallman instructions.

From RJC instructions. Might wanna to shorten WG rod
You set the WG rod so you have to pull it out 1/8″ to hook it on the pin. Once we have shortened the rod to achieve 20 plus pounds of boost, the actuator is shortened to the point it has little travel left so now when the load is high in 3rd gear the actuator can not open and the boost creeps up. By letting our boost controller control the amount of boost the waste gate actuator sees boost creep is literally eliminated.