HA faithful i need your help!

85_Daphne

They call me Cowyboy...
i have just replace the head gaskets on my 84t-type wh1 car and decided to pressure spray the hell out of the intake manifold. i took off the egr valve and the piece that act as a spacer between the EGR valve and the block ( I"M AND IDIOT FOR DOING THAT :mad: ) why...cause the gasket that was between that piece and the block is not easy to find. GM doesnt care it, none of the local parts stores carry it and the two NOS sites i have gotten parts from also dont carry it. so my question to you HA faithful is, what in the hell do i do? any help is appreciated. if i dont solve this i can race my uncle for slips, cash and/or bragging rights on his mustang.

Well, you can do one of 3 things:

Clean both surfaces really good and either
use no gasket like some do with their headers;
use copper RTV seal (will work great);
or try an auto parts store that has gaskets in sheets that you can cut to size. I know CSK carried these.

......... i took off the egr valve and the piece that act as a spacer between the EGR valve and the block ( I"M AND IDIOT FOR DOING THAT :mad: ) why...cause the gasket that was between that piece and the block is not easy to find. GM doesnt care it, none of the local parts stores carry it and the two NOS sites i have gotten parts from also dont carry it. so my question to you HA faithful is, what in the hell do i do? ...........

I got a piece of some bulk gasket material (high temp) at as local parts store and cut out the gasket. If you are unable to purchase material, get a cheap exhaust gasket and cut it up. That is what I did the second time.

85_Daphne
did you ever get this fixed. if so what did you do. this might be a good post for someone later on if they do the same thing.

There was a vendor at 2006 BPG in Salem that had those gaskets by the box full.I think HR Parts N Stuff or Cottons Booth is where I got them.(Notice I said "I think")Try them first.Maybe BPG could tell you who was vending in 2006 and then its just a process of elimination.HTH!:)

i got it fixed. i just blocked the EGR off completely. i used an exhaust manifold gasked. worked great.

good to hear. you could be like me and just weld the egr hole on the intake shut and call it a day.

ok. once again i need your guys guidence. i'll try to keep this short as possible. i got my car going. sounded like ****. tweeked the vac. lines a little sounds awesome. started right up 2 nights ago. and again started up yesterday afternoon. but when i tried to start it last night nothing. i have good fuel pressure, i have good spark. any ideas. if i use starter fluid it will start for a second, then shuts off. i had it running last night for like a min. and thought i was good but then it died and i havent had it running since. anything you all can tell me would be a tremendous help. thank you once again, will.

Make sure you have no vacuum leaks, and check the throttle body nuts that connect it to the turbo; if these come loose it can cause what youve described.

Try to reset the IAC using the procedure on gnttype.org as well.

If that doesnt work, you may be getting fuel bleed from some injectors, causing a no start condition. or maybe a bad cam or crank sensor. then again, it might be your mass air flow sensor...to tell the truth it could be many things; these are just a few to check. Is there any smoke on start up?

Do you have a scan tool? Are you throwing any codes? Some numbers would be helpful in diagnosing this further.

still sounds weird to me. it will start on starter fluid but wont without it. sounds like he isnt getting fuel. bad ecm? bad injector harness? could be other things.

there are no codes being sent. the injectors arent firing. my thinking is that its the ECM or the Ignition Control Module. I mean what are the odds of either of those two going bad?

still sounds weird to me. it will start on starter fluid but wont without it. sounds like he isnt getting fuel. bad ecm? bad injector harness? could be other things.

Check you injector wiring harness, especially if it is original and you were poking around in there. The wires get brittle with age and can short. Caspers sells a new one just in case.

Check the basic hot-air info sticky.Top of the page.
Go through the no start tests.
No-start can be a pain in the ass.

Try unplugging your mass air and see if it will start.That was my problem..My 84 did the same thing last week.It would start on starting fluid..Also make sure your battery is fully charged.That seems to be what my problems were..
Good luck

i've done the MAF sensor unplug and try before. and the battery is fully charged and good. and all fuses are good. i have narrowed it down i think to the ECM, Ignition Control Module, the Crankshaft and Camshaft Sensors. Which do you think are the most likely to go bad?

i've done the MAF sensor unplug and try before. and the battery is fully charged and good. and all fuses are good. i have narrowed it down i think to the ECM, Ignition Control Module, the Crankshaft and Camshaft Sensors. Which do you think are the most likely to go bad?

Typically;
Cam sensor = fuel
Crank sensor = spark

From dissipating memory ;) ;
Take the cam sensor cap off and verify relucter ring operation.
Verify the ECM is seeing power (Fusable link at battery)
Verify ECM connectors are clean and not corroded
Get a noid light and verify injector pulse when cranking, if not, verify injectors are seeing power.
Verify connection at ignition module while you are at it (Clean, tight and power to pink/black wire)

Edit:
Oh yeah, pull the plugs and clean them if you get fuel, spark and no start!

i did get your PM i just replied to it. to everyone else, i got the problem solved. dont know what i did but it worked. if you want details PM me.