GT-32 Turbo

cmokem

I am interested in replacing my TA-49 with the new GT-32 turbo...but was wondering if anyone has any track results with the gt-32. Also is the gt32 a simple bolt in as far as installation goes, or is there some fabricating that needs to be done.

Thanks in Advance

Bob

Turbo is rated around 520 hp I think, about in the same range as a TA49. Should be good for solid mid 11's. If you want to see a decent gain I would upgrade for a GT35 if I were you.

The GT3255 turbo is pretty much the new direct replacement of the TA49/TE44. It spools even faster with the stock converter and makes 520 flywheel horse like previously mentioned. If looking to upgrade to something better than a 49 why don't you do a 3500 stall and a PT61? That turbo is the same cost as the 49-44 and cheaper than the 3255 and can make 675 flywheel horse and do low 11, high 10's all day long...choice is yours

-Don
PTE Sales Tech

Trivia -
There "may" be a mounting plate for the oil line connection that is held down with 2 square headed metric bolts. The oil line won't connect unless you replace the bolt closest to the firewall with an allen head "nubbin" bolt.
I think. :)

Originally posted by 87grandnat
is the PT61 something that could be put on a street car and driven daily?

you could slap it on a stock motor and possibly run mid to low 11's and drive it every single day...extremely street friendly

So if I've got the car listed in the sig and I've been thinking of going with a TA49, should I now consider a GT32 or GT35 instead?
I want to stay with the stock torque converter for now, and stay with a "stock" appearing turbo.
Will the GT turbos fit under the turbo heat shield?

Originally posted by Dan K
So if I've got the car listed in the sig and I've been thinking of going with a TA49, should I now consider a GT32 or GT35 instead?
I want to stay with the stock torque converter for now, and stay with a "stock" appearing turbo.
Will the GT turbos fit under the turbo heat shield?

yes you can get the 3255 turbo with either the TA or TE compressor cover...TA meaning stock appearing TE meaning the 44 style cover...yes you can use the factory heat shield to my knowledge...if you want mid to low 11's then stick with the 44/49 turbo...if something just to replace stock with some more punch then do the GT3255...i think high 11's will be the max on that turbo...

I have one(GT3255E) in the box from full throttle (vendor of PTE) awaiting install.
Get in touch with Mike at Full Throttle he has dynoed at road tested these suckers and will be glad to you all about it.

According to Mike if you like the TE/TA 44/49, then you will flip out on this turbo.... hands down midrange performance will smoke the others i spoke of.

Once mine is installed I will let everyone know.

Chasing an aggravating, dadblasted PM brake problem, once solved the turbo, THDP and turbosaver will be installed.

Originally posted by d0n_3d
if you want mid to low 11's then stick with the 44/49 turbo...if something just to replace stock with some more punch then do the GT3255...i think high 11's will be the max on that turbo...

I thought the 3255 was supposed to have it all over the 44/49 turbos? Quicker spoolup and more top end charge?

turbo nasty - Thanks for the heads up, I'll be giving Mike a call shortly.

I thought the 3255 was supposed to have it all over the 44/49 turbos? Quicker spoolup and more top end charge?
Thats what I thought also...but this is not the first time that I am hearing that the 49 can produce more hp than the 32.

Bob

Has anyone that posted here or anyone at all actually installed and or used one of these turbos?

Hey Jack...Hope all is well Bud

This is what I was trying to find out. I heard that this was the latest and greatest replacement for the 44/49 turbos as a bolt in...but this may not be the case. I talked with one of John Craigs turbo builders and he tell me that this turbo will not fit the Buicks downpipe unless we get the exhaust end from pte. Now I am wondering whatelse we need to change to get it to bolt right in. I have also heard, independent from this post that the 44/49 turbo are capable of producing more hp than the gt32. So hopefully someone can answer this all for us...talk is cheap, but this turbo isnt.

Best Wishes
Bob

dads gt32-55e times 1/8th mile track

from precision is on my dads car...already been back to them to be rebuilt with 360 bearings...
on pump gas and alky 21-22 psi with mildly ported heads intake stock motor with .040 rebuild 45,000 miles ago ran
7.96@87.7 mph at the 1/8th mile here last tuesday...will show timeslips if needed this is with a miserable 1.789 short time....

by the way

all on a stock d5 ...yes it spools pretty damn good....this is with a mild chip from www.turbotweak.com for my dads car....i love this turbo...raced a 87 gn with 49 and walked him from a 50 mph roll before i ported the heads...and from a dig...spool up is nasty on this thing....

guys I made a mistake in telling you the 44/49 is a more powerful turbo than the 3255...ACTUALLY here's the real comparison...

The GT3255 turbo has more low end and mid range power potential than the TE44/TA49 turbo...you can easily run mid 11's with this turbo...and it spools FASTER than a TE44/TA49 with a stock converter (and you thought spoolup with a TE44/TA49 with a stock converter was fast!), this thing is gonna spoolup AS FAST as a stock turbo would have...absolutely no lag time whatsoever...plus it uses the new GT style compressor and turbine wheels so it's a FULL GT turbo! it's more efficient flowing and probably more durable as well...

sorry if I mis-informed anyone...this is a brand new turbo and I didn't realize its potential! definitely upgrade to a GT3255 turbo if you have a stock turbo...but if you already have a TA49/TE44 I personally wouldn't even bother replacing it...if you want to go bigger than the 44/49 then definitely do the PT61 P-trim with a 3200-3500 stall...

-Don
PTE Sales Tech

Originally posted by cmokem
Hey Jack...Hope all is well Bud

This is what I was trying to find out. I heard that this was the latest and greatest replacement for the 44/49 turbos as a bolt in...but this may not be the case. I talked with one of John Craigs turbo builders and he tell me that this turbo will not fit the Buicks downpipe unless we get the exhaust end from pte. Now I am wondering whatelse we need to change to get it to bolt right in. I have also heard, independent from this post that the 44/49 turbo are capable of producing more hp than the gt32. So hopefully someone can answer this all for us...talk is cheap, but this turbo isnt.

Best Wishes
Bob

It MIGHT be possible the 44/49 turbo can produce more MAXIMUM horsepower at the very top end than the GT3255 but who is really gonna push a turbo past 27 psi and run over 115 mph on the street? 20 horses isn't worth it on the very top end compared to MUCH more power in the lower to mid range...PERFECT for the street and certainly good for the 1/4 mile...

My understanding is like 65 ft lbs increase over the stock with the GT3255E and like 40 over the 49.
That is no joke in my book.