graphite head gasket reuse or replace?

BlackLC2burd

Quick question guys. I have decided to get the heads ported on my rebuilt 86 motor and was wondering if it is possible to reuse the graphite head gaskets (gm 25528486) after the heads studs have been torqued. The engine has no runtime after the heads have been torqued but a tiny bit of graphite stuck on the block deck after pulling off the heads. Im thinking i could use some copper spray on the block side of the head gasket where some of the graphite came off. What do you guys think. Or should I just get new gaskets? Thanks

IF and only IF you can replace the same gasket in the exact same spot, you can re-use them. I've done it may times over the years. I've found a mistake and needed to remove the heads. If the graphite is on the block, leave it and slide the gasket back on. No need to spray 'em with copper coat, either.

Why would a guy even think about using them again, especially since they peeled some of the material off? Why even take the chance after all the money and time spent? I'd go with NEW ones in a heartbeat.

For how much work and effort replacing head gaskets is never ever EVER reuse a gasket. It's a gasket, a disposable part, use a new one every time. I had to do my intake gasket three times cause I kept getting leaks and I used a new gasket every time cause what if I put it all back together and it leaks because of the used gasket? Or something else? How would you know? I say use a new one every time!!!

If it were a non-boosted or low compression engine, I would re-use. But personally, I would change them on this engine.