Grand national with door trim?

GW2

I was pulling into Canadian Tire the other day to grab some vehicular cleaning supplies. I parked up in my favourite spot (For some reason no one else ever parks there) when another 87GN pulls in beside me. A little surprised I started looking and noticed it had the trim running down the whole side of the car like a limited would. It was also decked out with power antenna and an equalizer radio (I'm very jealous haha!). What I'm thinking is this car was one of the 87.5 cars where they were taking as many cars that were destined to be regals or limiteds or whatever else and turning them into GNs part way through their production. Just wondering if my theory holds up and what you guys think.

Body side molding was an option. Mine does not have it...I looked for one without it..

Bryan

My 87 has the side mouldings on it and i hate them,it sucks because they are rivited on as well!!!

My 87' GN and others has other options, and I hope this is what you're talking about. The body side Molding, electric antenna, six speakers with equalizer radio, digital dash, and some has more like electric truck, Twilight Sentinel for head lights.

Attachments

• Our Home Inside 022.jpg
    Our Home Inside 022.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 285
  • 87 GN 058.jpg
    87 GN 058.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 302
  • 87 GN 073.jpg
    87 GN 073.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 329
i wish mine had adhesive holding it on,tried taking em off and they arent coming off without major damage,i was told they were rivited on,could be wrong,but they dont wanna come off

If you slide the rubber off you'll see the rivets.
If that true, is it possible to remove or slide the molding off and then slide in the replacement?
The reason why I'm asking in the future I want to repaint my car and I also want to replace the side molding.

I removed the rubber, drilled out the rivets, then had my body guy do those welds they do to fill the holes, put on a thin layer of whatever he used then prime sand and paint. It came out nice.

check out these links of what i did. I'm sure there's better work out there but this will give you an idea of what can be done.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/prepairing-for-paint.359238/page-2

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/preping-for-paint-2.365361/

D
Very nice and the color is great.
So you remove the side molding, and after painting you never replace them again.
I'm so used to seeing them on for the past 25 years and maybe when it's time for a paint job, I might not replace them also.
Thanks for the great photos

If I'm not mistaken, I do believe the GNX didn't have them.

thanks
D

The riveted ones aren't factory on a GN.

They were stick on and code B88.

Dealers did install them, not sure how many would do it to a GN however.

The riveted ones aren't factory on a GN.

They were stick on and code B88.

Dealers did install them, not sure how many would do it to a GN however.

Thank you salvageV6, I wasn't sure since I didn't physical check to see if my car was riveted or not as EVIL indicated. I did checked and according to the truck service code ID, I do have the code B88.
Is there a site where one can get the description of all the "Service Code Identification"?

you are whack GNs didn't come from factory like that.
Define what you are talking about:
Was the side molding was held in place with adhesive from the factory or dealer
Was the side molding was held in place with rivets from the factory or dealer
If none of the above then What?

B88's were stick on from the factory.

Here's a pic. on a WE4, GN's are the same, no rivets.

DSC01084.jpg

My side mouldings were held with adhesive only. I had them off the second day I owned the car.

Your right Salvage, GN's DID come with the B-88 code which is factory body side moldings that were installed with a double sided sticky tape. My GN had them until a couple of months ago, took them off when I repainted the car. Here's before and after.

Attachments

• 000_0441.jpg
    000_0441.jpg
    931.1 KB · Views: 244
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 230
So were the riveted side moldings a dealer thing? Mine were definitely riveted.

D