Grand National - Barn Find 1,600 miles

Dennis, If you get a chance post a pic of the sun roof. I just curious what the difference is between the factory sun roofs . I think the car is priced right at 20k

As Mr. Kirban stated, the two roofs are quite similar. From the ones I've seen the c&c one is more linear, and squared off and is slightly larger than the factory. The factory one has a more curved sides and corners, and has a reflective, almost silver quality. Where the c&c has a dark tint, with just the window reflection(kind of brown). And of course there is the cf5 on the spid label for the factory one.

The car is still available owner will take a lesser offer.... I have not had time to commit to this car currently because of the big Reunion event we have coming up next Saturday at our house.

The car is what it is and the miles is original.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Just an idea if the owner of these neglected toys is very serious in sellin he should conduct a viewing of the cars during the upcoming reunion, what do u think? isn't he close to u Dennis? no dealin involve just give the Buick afficionados the chance to inspect them, again, just an idea. If anybody is interested they can deal directly with Dennis to consumate a deal.

Kirban update

The above suggestion about potential buyers seeing it next Saturday I passed on to the seller. At this point it appears the car is sold and details of payment are being worked out early next week.

If indeed that happens I emailed the seller to see if we can then see the Mustang and the Thyphoon and get something going on both or either of those low mileage original vehicles.

Part of the delays is the sellers schedule and the fact he does not live where the vehicles have been hibernating since the early 1990s.

Plus I currently have a lot on my plate as well. As I learn more I will post more in this thread.

There is no doubt this car is very worthy to restore I have seen far worse cars brought back to life.

Even the car we had like 2-3 years back referred to as the cat car has been restored. The car sat almost the same length of time only had a few more mile son it and was home for several cats.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

barn..

congrats on the sale and that tells u the remaining toys will also sell if given the chance to be viewed.

What is the status of the 1,600 mile GN?

I just realized you reside in wichita falls texas.....a friend of mine moved from my area years ago to Wichita Falls....he owns a ram air 1969 GTO Judge orange in color that he bought from me many years ago and restored....not sure if you ever see it around....the guy is a top notch mechanic have not seen him in years....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Dennis, what is his name? If you don't want to post, shoot me a PM or e-mail.

I know a few '69-'70 Judges in this area...but not an Orbit Orange one. Those are slick. I'm always looking to know another top mechanic in this area.:cool:

Dennis, what is his name? If you don't want to post, shoot me a PM or e-mail.

I know a few '69-'70 Judges in this area...but not an Orbit Orange one. Those are slick. I'm always looking to know another top mechanic in this area.:cool:

I am bad with names is first name is Doug.....

Next time you talk to a GTO owner see if anyone knows him as he does go to major car shows as I last met up with him when I spoke at the POCI nationals in Missouri a few years back....he is about 50 years old....the Judge he has I got out of the woods same time I got a 1964 GTO from the same seller and I did the 64 for my self so this wold have been around 1979-1980.....

He built several impressive Pontiacs in my area back in the day....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Due to the Hurricane, excessive rain, bad road, schedule conflicts...this car was finally picked up and taken home today. Initial go around has the car as described. Excited to have and will start cleaning it up and making it road worthy Monday. Will post some pics when it's done.

Thanks to Dennis and special thanks to Marc Y., the owner. To any who have an interest in his stable of other low-mile originals...they are stored properly, and are "as described." No b.s.

Due to the Hurricane, excessive rain, bad road, schedule conflicts...this car was finally picked up and taken home today. Initial go around has the car as described. Excited to have and will start cleaning it up and making it road worthy Monday. Will post some pics when it's done.

Thanks to Dennis and special thanks to Marc Y., the owner. To any who have an interest in his stable of other low-mile originals...they are stored properly, and are "as described." No b.s.

Congrats on the GN purchase.

How do we find more info out about the other cars? Production numbers for the GMC Typhoon and Ford Mustang LX Notchback are significantly lower than the 1987 Buick GN, and VERY VERY difficult to find in stock form.

Thank you.

Congratulations on your barn find and purchase. I believe that you may have found a gem in the rough that will take a little tlc to bring back.

I also purchased a low mileage car that was advertised here and took heavy BASHING from members on this forum. Little do they know I have now won gold in concours three years in a row, and some members said it was not worth purchasing.

Do not let those comments discourage you because of a lack of knowledge by some here.

I would love to see a few more pics of that GN.

Thanks
Bill

Excited to have and will start cleaning it up and making it road worthy Monday. Will post some pics when it's done.

Great to see another one saved! This car sounds like a contender for this rust removal process: For great rust removal Safest Rust Remover. No disassembly and the rust washes away.

axel-b.jpg axel-a.jpg

shock-b.jpg shock-a.jpg

It's being used on the time capsule Belvedere that was exhumed in 2007 after 50 years. I don't have any personal experience with this product but it seems worth looking into IMO. Good Luck!

What I've been using is called Rust Cure. It's done a great job so far and one of the nice things about it is if you leave small parts in it they will be stripped down to bare metal. If you spray it on and use a wire brush while it's wet it will penitrate really well. If you keep it wet and keep scrubing it down it will strip all of the metal bare. You just hit it with a high pressure washer to remove residue and then you can paint or prime it. If you just spray it on and leave it, the rust is converted to a black paintable black surface. Here's a link and a vid that may help you. :)

rust cure - YouTube

Removing Rust is Easy with Rust Cure

We are using products from www.saferustremover.com. Tom Fischer at Muscle Car Alley (shop cleaning the GN up) talked to the owner today, and was told that Dennis K. has also used this stuff.

So far, the interior has cleaned up very nicely...looks exactly as a 1,600 mile car should. Engine bay appears very clean to start with...Tom thinks it will wind up like the interior. The underside is where we need some help!:eek:

kirban update

the owner of these "barn stored cars" has been traveling and I have been away as well......he is supposed to get the next car to my house shortly....we lost another week as this freakest snow storm hit my area hard...we still don;t have electric....got a generator running some of the stuff this week in the house....

I think the next car up for sale will be this ultra rare formula firehawk with under 600 miles on it. I am sure SLP has records on production of their vehicles and based on what I know about Pontiacs formulas are the rare ones as opposed to trans ams etc....

where the barn is is not very accesable and before any descriptions or photos are done I am hop;ing the owner will get the car to my place so I can do a good job on description and photos. I live about 15 mins from the "barn" and the owner lives about 45 mins away......he doesn;t apepr to be in any rush but I will start to bug him as winter will be coming soon.

Its a safe bet the firehawk is worth the most of all the cars he has stashed...

this may not be the rite forum to promote a Pontiac but I have some good connections among Pontiac owners as well.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I started a thread in the show car/restoration area of TB, posting some pics of what is being done to the 1,600 mile Barn Find...for those that are interested.