Governor shift points vs boost levels

Sleeper

Do WOT shift points set by the governor vary with boost levels?
I'm wanting to set my WOT shift points before I to go to the track, and was wondering if they will be the same at WOT with low boost?
In other words, can I set it up on the street at low boost levels, and have it shift the same at higher boost, when I'm at the track?

Paul

There could be some effect based on the efficiency of the converter. More torque into the converter will equal a lower driveshaft vs. engine speed and this will equal a higher shift rpm. or the other way around for a more efficient converter.

Do WOT shift points set by the governor vary with boost levels?
I'm wanting to set my WOT shift points before I to go to the track, and was wondering if they will be the same at WOT with low boost?
In other words, can I set it up on the street at low boost levels, and have it shift the same at higher boost, when I'm at the track?

Paul

Yes the WOT shift points absolutely change in connection with engine torque. Boost directly (and hugely) affects torque so yes, higher boost = higher shift points.

I have also found that the looser your converter is, the more the shift points will raise with increased torque. On the other hand, a tight (stock) converter will not change shift points hardly at all, even if you raise boost by an enormous amount.

I don't think you can "have your cake and eat it too" when it comes to running the same shift points at low boost as at high boost. If you went to a tighter, more efficient converter this effect would lessen. But that could cause other problems for you (spool up).

It's all a tradeoff.

I don't think you can "have your cake and eat it too" when it comes to running the same shift points at low boost as at high boost. If you went to a tighter, more efficient converter this effect would lessen. But that could cause other problems for you (spool up).

It's all a tradeoff.

Your correct in that if you have a high hp engine and de-tune it it will lower the shift rpm and flash point of the converter which will hurt performance. If you have a high quality converter like mine the spoolup/coupling situation you mentioned is removed from the picture. The bottom line is if you want to achieve maximum performance you need to start with a good converter core like a PTC 9.5" and have it built to the hp level you are running. If you have the correct combo you will maximizing your combination. I gained tremendously by throwing the PTC in my combo. Nothing i have done in years has made such a difference.