Got the GN Power Blues...need expert help

pjnutt

I have had my GN for over 6 years now. Started by making it look good, it had spent it's life baking in the AZ sun. Last year I had a guy build me a stout short block. Ported heads, custom ground cam, RJC power plate, diamond forged pistons....I wanted it to be very streetable, wasn't going to go to the track often, but it would be nice to bust off a 12 second run every now and again like I have read about on the boards for 6 years ;) I ordered up some new 42.5lb injectors from turbo tweak and got a matching chip. I was all excited to break this thing in and hit the street. The car runs awesome, but lacks power out of the hole, and sometimes it doesn't even like to boost once it IS out of the hole.

I thought I possibly had an exhaust leak, could hear some ticking and the manifolds that I put on after the rebuild were welded up during the rebuild. SO, I buy some known good manifolds off the board here and even find a good deal on a 3" THDP locally. This fixes my exhaust leak and eliminates the old downpipe, I should really be cooking with fire now, right? Still same issue, car starts right up, sounds awesome, but can't get out of it's way from a dig. I had the trans rebuilt before I did the motor, I had ran the trans with the old motor and the car seemed faster with the oil leaky bad seal tired azz motor. I don't believe my issue to be the trans or the converter (however I am open to it being the converter which I bought at time of trans rebuild 2600 stall).

So, I'm sure you are all asking at this time, what the hell turbo are you running. With the new short block I basically was suckered into buying this turbo he had with the motor, "oh, it's a great old skoool turbo, will be great, yada, yada yada". I'm told it's a stage 2 turbonetics cheetah turbo. Now, based on everything I have told you up to this point, what the hell is wrong with my turd of a GN? Have I beat new vettes from a roll in it? YES, when the damn turbo decides to spool. However, do most of the time I get taken to the wood shed b/c I can't go from a dig and even from a roll my turbo spools when and if it thinks it's time! I believe the turbo is my problem, I'm sure you all do too. SO, what turbo do I buy? Could there be another issue? Is there anyone in metro-Detroit that can help. Is there any point in getting this thing tuned before getting a new turbo. I'm about done throwing money at this car and can't stand the lack of consistent power. Based on what I have done to the car, with MUCH MUCH MUCH reading, I should be blowing the doors of stock vettes all day and night. Thanks for listening and can't wait to hear what you all think.

Thanks,
PjNutt

I wouldn't call myself an expert, but if it is sometimes spooling and sometimes not; I would say it's probably not the turbo itself, and possibly a crappy electrical or vacuum connection.

Or, is it possible that the boost control solenoid or similar boost controlling mechanisms aren't working properly? How are all of your vacuum fittings? Again, I'm just throwing around ideas. Hope it helps!

All the hoses from the turbo to the actuator and to the NSX manual boost controller are new. What other hoses should I be looking at? I have a boost gauge in the car and am seeing vacuum readings in the 15-20 psi range while at idle or out of the boost......

All the hoses from the turbo to the actuator and to the NSX manual boost controller are new. What other hoses should I be looking at? I have a boost gauge in the car and am seeing vacuum readings in the 15-20 psi range while at idle or out of the boost......

I know this won't help your issue. But did you make sure to zip-tie all the lines? From the horror stories I've heard.. I just wanted to make sure you had that set.

Zack

IF you post pictures of your set up with detailed shots, people might start pointing out potential problems...

boost

I had a turbo like that it had the .85 exhaust housing on it was a real dog out of the hole without a converter car didn't have enough rpm (valve spring) on the big end to make up the loss

Turbo

I really think it's the turbo. I'm thinking a TE-60. Does anyone have any turbo input. There's a speed shop on the for sale forum that has a TE-60 for what appears to be a pretty good price. Time to throw some more money at it :eek:

I really think it's the turbo. I'm thinking a TE-60. Does anyone have any turbo input. There's a speed shop on the for sale forum that has a TE-60 for what appears to be a pretty good price. Time to throw some more money at it :eek:

That turbo will scream and boost very well with a 3200 converter

In an earlier post you said you thought you had a "stage 2 turbonetics cheetah turbo". Well its my understanding that those turbos are built to order and all are not the same. Having said that it very possible that you have something close to a TE-44 or a TE-60 already on the car. really need to find out what you have.

Turbo

I will take a post pictures tonight as soon as I get home from work. I also forgot to mention that the car is burning oil, it's blowing smoke after running a while and especially after sitting at and taking away from a light. My brother was driving behind me in the Dream Cruise and brought this up :confused: Pics to follow.

Thanks!

What is your boost sat at? Also I think I have that nsx manual boost controller on my car, make SURE that thing isn't hooked up backwards or anything; follow the
connection instructions closely.

Spool

My TA61 (60-1 compressor wheel,T31 turbine wheel & A/C 3000 n/l) makes boost in 12 ft from a dead wholeshot (no brake torque).To clearify "makes boost" means the boost gage breaks zero in 12 ft.Then the needle starts to fly.Lots of causes for stuff like this.See my PM.

One of two things:

1) Poorly matched turbo. Really need to know what size turbo you are running, especially the exhaust housing ratio (as mentioned before)
2) Chip. This can make all the difference in the world. Fourteen (14) replies and not one mention of the chip. If you are dumping fuel down low, it will be pig rich and severely effect spool-up times.

IMAG0054.jpgIMAG0055.jpgIMAG0056.jpgIMAG0058.jpg

Here are the pictures. Pretty sure the boost controller is proper. The chip is a TurboTweak chip that I ordered with the injectors, however; I am open to the fact that it could be dumpin' gas early and "pig" rich. TType, I will try and give you a hollar tomorrow, your just up the road from me and I would love to have someone who knows some stuff take a look before spending 100's more. Just let me know your vice, I will have a fridge full of beer plus anything else I can to get you up Milford Road. Thanks for all the feed back guys, this car would be way too frustrating without all the feedback!

Thanks again,
Ryan

pjnutt;2851712....... I don't believe my issue to be the trans or the converter (however I am open to it being the converter which I bought at time of trans rebuild 2600 stall). ..................Thanks said:
My opinion from what has been posted is that your need a proper converter.

If it was replaced when the trans was done it would be doubtful it was even replaced with a D-5 stock converter, and the 2600 stall is WAY too low for your current turbo.

Personally, I would use a 3600 stall in your case. :)