Got a carb turbo torn apart and

If you want I can resin cast some ones up. In my other life I build models and have all the stuff to cast em. It would be about $20 for a pair or so unpainted. Gotta get some more RTV plastic to do it but it shouldnt be hard. If I could sell 8 its worth my time. Resin isnt as durable as the ABS they are made of (more brittle) but since I dont have a spin cast machine Im sorta limited to resin.

:)

picture-1149.jpg

picture-1151.jpg

picture-1152.jpg

picture-1154.jpg

picture-1157.jpg

How much can you cut/grind into the c'chamber to unshroud the exhaust?

That's how mine looked if I can find them:mad: Probably all rusted from sitting..

I'm kinda dizzy from all the info. Kinda like studying for the SAT, BAR exam..

Keep it coming:biggrin:

E

My machinist is a pretty smart guy. He put a 70 degree stone and just centered the machine to the valve guide and cut out as far as he could until he either hit to the sidewall of the port or to up till he hits the seat. There is really no dimention, just go until you have to stop.

Sorry, I meant the combustion chamber side of the valve. Not the throat of the port. That looks to be taken care of.
I've ported most all my heads that I've built. All so far have been N/A though, until this Mitsu project..

I figure that its' like drinking something. Just normal drinking, just fills your mouth, then you dictate how much you swallow at or each time. (valve duration)
Turbo'd exhaust port would be like taking a funnel with a compressed fluid getting shoved down your throat.. If one could make their mouth and throat bigger/deeper, there would be less resistance. (did you ever see those people that can chug a picture of beer in under a sec? AMAZING)

SO, I think it would be more beneficial to port the exhaust side more. I wonder if the Chevy ex valve swap would be better.?

E

Sorry, I meant the combustion chamber side of the valve. Not the throat of the port. That looks to be taken care of.
I've ported most all my heads that I've built. All so far have been N/A though, until this Mitsu project..

I figure that its' like drinking something. Just normal drinking, just fills your mouth, then you dictate how much you swallow at or each time. (valve duration)
Turbo'd exhaust port would be like taking a funnel with a compressed fluid getting shoved down your throat.. If one could make their mouth and throat bigger/deeper, there would be less resistance. (did you ever see those people that can chug a picture of beer in under a sec? AMAZING)

SO, I think it would be more beneficial to port the exhaust side more. I wonder if the Chevy ex valve swap would be better.?

E

kinda, but not thats easy.

chevy valve does not fit. ford valves are closer and fit. (its what I use)

and exhaust port is not only piece.

9-out of 10 pros will tell you to stay away from the port. the secret is in the pockets and back bowls.

A.j.

kinda, but not thats easy.

chevy valve does not fit. ford valves are closer and fit. (its what I use)

and exhaust port is not only piece.

9-out of 10 pros will tell you to stay away from the port. the secret is in the pockets and back bowls.

A.j.

Other than a port match most of the work is in the bowl and cleaning up the throat some. This should give you some sort of idea of what is needed.:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 178
  • DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 175
so what did bill say about the heads? those look great now with the seats done. Glad to see you join the site BTW

hey charles, can you post pics of exhaust ports stock and "not stock." I'm trying to figure out just how much work has been done to my heads. I know there's really no way without tearing them off, but I'm trying to get an idea of whats done without doing that. SO far I've noticed the springs have been changed, intake valve seals, gasket matched intake ports. Can you also tell me where to look in the exhaust port for areas that are normally modified? THanks.

Well I do have a few pics of the ports but these are a comparison of the low versus high port heads. Hope it helps you.:smile:

Attachments

• DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 166
  • exhaust ports..jpg
    exhaust ports..jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 160
  • exhaust side.jpg
    exhaust side.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 168
Well I do have a few pics of the ports but these are a comparison of the low versus high port heads. Hope it helps you.:smile:

WHere did you find those heads, at the bottom of a lake LOL! Throw them out in the gulf, that oughtta clean them up a bit;) I just remembered I have a tanked stock head sitting up in my cabinet in the garage.

Bad news for me today fellas....My favorite machine shop in town and the only one I trust for that matter has been closed. Thanks corporate america!

They have been sitting in a garage for over 20 years now because they are low ports.

Sorry about the shop closing Jesse. I know how you feel though. The shop that did the machine work on my yota in 94 closed up shortly after that engine was assembled. It was in business for over 40 years and just couldn't survive any longer.

so what did bill say about the heads? those look great now with the seats done. Glad to see you join the site BTW

He said they looked good and thats exactly what he would do. He asked if I did it all and said no Gary did most of the big stuff and he said that you are pretty enthusiastic.

I just went at them in the ports with some sanding rolls and a home made flap wheel with some emery cloth. Took a few hours to clean em up but they look nice.

They have been sitting in a garage for over 20 years now because they are low ports.

Sorry about the shop closing Jesse. I know how you feel though. The shop that did the machine work on my yota in 94 closed up shortly after that engine was assembled. It was in business for over 40 years and just couldn't survive any longer.

The piss poor thing about it is that this shop usually had a waiting list they had so many people and businesses going there. Clearly this was a "upper management" decision of big box O'Reillys. They can't have a dirty machine shop in they're shiny new store:rolleyes: I'll be pouting about this for weeks. They were the only shop around here that had employees that were knowledgeable of the buick v6. THey go as far back as building stage motors in the 80s. Matter of fact, they were doing another GN motor when mine was getting machined. I know a few of the guys kept jobs in the store. Hopefully they can point me in the right direction the next time I need work done.

Well, thanks to the snow storm my other head gasket has been stuck in illinois since Wednesday, so I only got one head on. I ordered parts few weeks ago and then realized when my head gasket showed up I only got one. Turns out Fel-pro only sells 1000's individually. Sorta stupid but ohh well.

So the passenger head is on and torqued down, cam is in, and timing chain is on.

If that storm hadnt struck Id have almost a running motor this afternoon. :rolleyes: