Got a carb turbo torn apart and

Yeah, the glossiness of the paint wears off after a while but it's better than looking at rust. You're on the right track for the heads, we all know that opening the ports on a street motor is a waste but I would try to at least do as much as you can to the intake. Some people on the board say the stock 87 intake flow damn good and doesn't need much if any mods at all. Too bad you couldnt compare the flow of your carb turbo intake to an 87 intake and see where they stand for flow ratings. Now that would be a good test:cool:

Yeah, I am going to focus most of my time in the intake. Ports need to be enlarged, and it wont be hard as the intake is aluminum. Yay! The biggest issue I see with it, is the EGR crossover is under it. I am tempted to plug the intake crossover, but the car runs so poor cold Im also temped to hook up a switch to the vacuume line on the passenger side manifold flapper to heat the intake up a bit on those cold starts. The car runs fine when the motors hot, but on those 38 degree mornings it stumbles when its cold, runs fine when you let it warm up though. Another reason I want to plug the EGR crossover besides the heat is that it hurts spool up. Have to pressureize all that exhaust gas under the intake along with the all the exhaust in the manifolds and the crossover. Its like having big tube manifolds when you are trying to spool the turbo, but dont give any mid to upper range HP increase.

So its walking that fine line, making it faster, or making it more streatable. I think streatable wins this time.

My other stupid Idea was take the stock CT intake, cut the bottom out of it, put in a small liquid intercooler inside the intake like most of the new blown ZR1 vettes and the edelbrock superchargers have and have a hidden intercooler. Big problem with that is the fuel would want to stick to the fins being they are cool, so unless you were going WOT all the time, youd have horrible fuel drop. Would work on a 84/85 car though! :D

The intake ports on the heads match up decent with the heads, but the intake ports are just puny compared to the gasket. Its like Buick never revised the 78 intake with the low port heads, and just made the 80 intake as a copy but out of aluminum. Anybody have the port size on a 81-83 intake?

Don't bother with a port match. Do most of the work in the bowls.

You can also plug the EGR passeges in the heads by taping them with a pipe tap and use pipe plugs. Much faster and you only need to leave 2 of them open so you get heat to the intake.

Today I cleaned off my frame rails and painted em up nice. Paint wont stay on long probably because it leaks so bad out of the pan, but it looks nice for now. Also dropped my aluminum core support off at the local welding shop to get it TIG welded up in the few spots its broke. Brought my heads to the machine shop and got a 70 degree cut on the intake port to open them up. He said there isnt much to gain on the exhaust. Just got to round out the short side radius on both of the pockets. He seen a bunch of data that shows that rounding the valve guides off doesnt do much, no matter the motor. Im going to just do a bit of port matching to the intake gasket and just round off the pocket edges. Not going to do anything crazy as far as head porting, looking at the intake it just wont gain me anything. There is so much CFM in the heads and so little in the intake doing an extreme port job on a stock intake wont gain me anything.

picture-1139.jpg

picture-1140.jpg

picture-1138.jpg

picture-1137.jpg
I would do a complete port my car is driven every day in Nebraska winters with no choke and is very streetable after warm up. The buick heads are very resrtictive also think porting the exhaust will help your performance. My intakeand exhaust ports and bowls are ported and polished the chambers are also polished. My cars bottom end is no differant than the stock motor. Mike

I would do a complete port my car is driven every day in Nebraska winters with no choke and is very streetable after warm up. The buick heads are very resrtictive also think porting the exhaust will help your performance. My intakeand exhaust ports and bowls are ported and polished the chambers are also polished. My cars bottom end is no differant than the stock motor. Mike

He LURKS:eek:;) Aren't TBs a blast to drive in cold winter weather...It's like they have a ball transplant or something

He LURKS:eek:;) Aren't TBs a blast to drive in cold winter weather...It's like they have a ball transplant or something
I just give it gas when someone geta around me and it goes every where and they freakout and get away from me my freinds laugh their assess off when I do it. Mike

I will be porting the exhaust side, its just the machineshop owner didnt think I would gain anything doing that 70 degreee cut on the exhaust side. Tere isnt a big lip like there is on the intake bowl.

I will be porting the exhaust side, its just the machineshop owner didnt think I would gain anything doing that 70 degreee cut on the exhaust side. Tere isnt a big lip like there is on the intake bowl.

If you haven't seen the heads I did and posted there's a lot of benefit from doing the exhaust side. You can literally look through from the port side and see out the the valve side. The heads will benefit, believe me.

If you haven't seen the heads I did and posted there's a lot of benefit from doing the exhaust side. You can literally look through from the port side and see out the the valve side. The heads will benefit, believe me.
agree with Charlie mt heads are hogged out I think it has alot more torque. Mike

Im gonna be around all weekend and next week if you want to bring the heads and intake out, Ill show you how to port them out properly. I have a set of 8445s I did that are on a car running 9.20s, i think i did a pretty good job

Also, use as much 87 turbo stuff as possible. The fact that any of you would think a stock 87 turbo is laggy, you have some issues. I dont start thinking about lag until im using a 67GTQ or bigger. A TE44, TE54, TE60 are NOT laggy, you want to go fast you need a bigger turbo period. I got to 12.20 with the stock turbo, and 11.40 with a TE44. I went to a TE54 and it was faster on less boost, which is the goal in the end

He's right about the stock turbo. Mine spools so fast it's like driving a car with a v8-except it has more power

He's right about the stock turbo. Mine spools so fast it's like driving a car with a v8-except it has more power

That's pretty funny:tongue:

X2 on the oem '86-7 turbine setup not being a slouch on spooling speed. It could get my old turbo's cold side moving quick, enough that I think that was most of my traction problem.

Well my heads are rough ported. Thanks Gary! Just gotta get some sanding rolls and finish off the runners and smooth everything out. Then they're off to the machine shop for valve grinding.

Next thing after I get the thing put together and running and my new turbo on is a wideband. After this new cam gets put in and the heads flow better I just know im going to be running lean. Thankfully I have 455 carb parts so Ive got enough stuff to mix match a set of somthing that works hopefully.

my left arm is still sore from that, hard to work all week and let it heal up! throw some pics of my sweet 2.5 hour banzai porting. lol

Auto Value didnt have any sanding rolls either, and I had to deal with a parts guy that didnt know anything. Stopped at welder supply too and they were out. Probably just going to get a set this weekend.

picture-1143.jpg

picture-1144.jpg

picture-1145.jpg

There in my dark basement, so they arent the best.

Thought Id throw these up here too. Ive got a set of nice 8.5X15" vectors to use, but no tires. Even have the origianal boxes. Begging for a set of 275/60/15 DR's.
picture-1146.jpg

Get the rolls from harbor freight but don't use thier mandrells. They're to hard and will break easily. I got some from fastenall and they're great.