Going to replace the torque converter any hints?

clutchdump

I am going to replace the torque converter on my TTA with a Vigilante. Are there any hints that would apply to doing this job on the TTA? I have never really did any major work on the car as it is a low mile car but it needs more converter so away I go...
Thanks in advance for your assistance.

easy to do.. most PITA to me was just jacking the car up high enuff. Make sure the converter is in ALL THE WAY !! :cool:

When you have the transmission out, look at the converter bolt holes in the flywheel. You will notice 2 of the holes you removed the converter bolts from are perfectly (or should be) round. The 3rd bolt hole is, for lack of a better description, oval. It has two round ends and two straight sides.

Turn the flywheel so that you can start and tighten the bolt into this "oval" hole first. This will position the other two holes perfectly so you can start and tighten them without having to keep turning the flywheel tightening and untightening bolts to get all 3 bolt holes lined up.

Every GM flex plate I've seen is like this.

As said, get the car up as high as you can. I had difficulty getting the cooler lines off at both the radiator and tranny. Mini set of flat jawed channel locks saved the day and didn't bugger up the nuts. Other than that it is very straight forward.

Thanks for the hints everyone. I have a lift in my garage so I will definitely be using that for this job. I never look forward to this type of job but always look forward to the results after...........Thanks again for the assistance.

I'd drop the pan first and make sure its not full of clutch material. If it is.. it will pollute your new TQ converter. While your there, great time to replace filter and know where you stand.

Unhook the TV cable from the TB, take off crossmember, driveshaft, and coller lines. Unbolt converter.. 6 bellhousing bolts.. out it goes.

Easy car.

Thanks Razor. Great advice on servicing the Trans when it is out. Always to be better safe than sorry. I have a Janis trans so I want to treat it well as it ROCKS...It should go well with the Vigilante 5 disc converter.
I can say the same about your alcohol kit as it works great on my car.
Thanks again for the tips.

easy to do.. most PITA to me was just jacking the car up high enuff. Make sure the converter is in ALL THE WAY !! :cool:

Howdy uglier and older than me! Damned glad to see someone that knows what their talking about! How thu hell are yuh? I need to talk to you! my
phone is 832-341-3145 my e-mail is few@att.net

The job went well this Saturday without any glitches. I had my teenage son help and it was nice to have two pairs of hands putting everything back together. Thanks for your all of your help. Putting the torque arm back on did require an extra body to hold it down while I put the bolt into the bracket so I am glad that he was there.