GNX Louvers...how to attach? Have yours warped?

WakkoSS

I had louvers installed on my car about three weeks ago. The body shop used the double sided tape, but it's not sticking all that well. The driver's side louver had warped a little and pulled the corners away from the fenders. If I can't figure a way out to straighten it, I'm going to have to replace it.

I used the ones sold on Ebay (bought off a board member) because I figured they were better than the vacuum molded plastic (I have a set of those too).

What are you guys using successfully?

Ooo...that's a good idea. Hell I even have the propane in the trunk!

I was gonna have the car towed to Dave Schmucker's and see if he could fix it.

I bought a pair of those things. The pass side went on well. Then when I tried to put the driver's side in, it broke as I tried to push the middle in to attach to the fender. I used the "Right Stuff" as an adhesive by the way.

I bought another driver's side from the same person, I believe she's in Kentucky or Tennesee but is the one who sell's 'em on Ebay.

It went in well and lasted about 6 months then I noticed it broke ITSELF. In the same spot, right in the middle.

It's still attached to the fender but has a gap in it at the break.

Dunno what to suggest....I think it's an inherent flaw.

My driver's side cracked too. Did yours crack between the third and fourth fin? Bottom?

I just went out to make sure. I hope you appreciate it, you, you, you, warm Floridian. (It's about 32 degrees outside right now and I swear it's colder inside my insulated garage. :)

Anyway, it cracked, no I mean broke right after the 2nd fin from the front on both the top and the bottom.

YOU did that for ME?! Awww...I'll buy you a Jaeger bomb to warm your ass up! I just washed my car outside about two hours ago. It's a blustery 73 degrees! BRRRRR!!! I wonder why they break like that. Might have to build a small metal bracket for the new set.

Well, you and Chris better get them vents squared away. It's gonna' look like hell with pieces of sheet metal glued on them fenders to cover the holes. :eek:

Originally posted by WakkoSS
I just washed my car outside about two hours ago. It's a blustery 73 degrees! BRRRRR!!!

I KNEW there must be a bright side to living in a deep freeze. HA!! I DIDNT wash my car 2 hours ago.

Originally posted by Red Regal T
Well, you and Chris better get them vents squared away. It's gonna' look like hell with pieces of sheet metal glued on them fenders to cover the holes. :eek:
(Another damn 73 degree Floridian....)

I can't afford sheet metal. I'll use a 2 x 4 and lag bolts. Hardly notice the repair.

I bought a set from kirbans, not too happy with the quality. For 30 dollars i guess it was ok. As far as installing them i threw out the instructions they didnt say how to glue them on all they said was how to cut the hole which was wrong anyway. I had to put 2-3 layers of tape to get the tape just passed the lip so the tape would contact the fender. Before you installl the tape rough up the louver and the fender where the tape will stick with steel wool or a scotch bright pad and then clean the area with min. spirits or alch. and if you can find it at a paint store or somewhere else get a liquid called adhesion promoter and apply it only to the tape contact area becuase the stuff dries purple. Apply it to the louver and fender within 15 minutes of applying the tape to the surface. I used to work for roush racing installing ground effects on the new roush mustangs and that it what we used and it worked great. hopfully you will never have to take them off becuase they will not come off in one piece.

Here's what I did. You know that thin metal stuff that plumbers use with the holes in it? I think it's called plumber's tape, or something. Hardware stores carry it. Attach a piece about 12 inches long on the inside of the fender, to span the cut out. Just use two screws and attach it to the inside of the fender well. Then put a thin long screw through the fender vent and through the plumber's tape. Put a nut on the end of the screw. Paint head of screw black. If you look at a real GNX fender vent, ASC put a screw or a long rivet in the vent this way. Only difference is they had a nice metal bracket on the inside of the fender cut out to accept the rivet. Maybe somebody with a real GNX can send a pic. Or ask the fellow that maintains the GNX website to send you one.

I posted to see if there was any interest in this before and really didnt get much response. I'll try one more time. I have a contact that does business with billet specialties. They said that they could make these louvers for me if I wanted. However, the price for once set was pretty outragous. My guess would be that if we got about 20 people, maybe even less I'm not sure, then they could go for about 100-150 a set. Considering the crappy plastic ones they sell for $50 this piece would definitly worth the money. Post any interest here, if it looks like enough then maybe we can start a new thread and get this going.

Put me down for a set.

What I like about the GNX vents are not only the looks but the fact this helps with cooling inside the engine compartment.

Dannyo

I'll take a set of billet louvers (Are they polished!?) J/K

I've had the plastic Kirban louvers and the ones from the lady on ebay (Florida, I thought, dang Floridians;) ) Plastic one flew out after using double sided tape and running 110 on the freeway, installed ones from ebay before colorsanding/buffing car and tried removing them to do that, and broke one:mad: , Didn't figure I'd mess with it until I strip the car down to metal and do the paint over again, it was like 20° when I had the body work done last time, and all the bondo is cracking:( .

I'd be in on billet ones. I have the Kirban's set (cheap vacuum molded plastic) and the Ebay ones (cheap injection plastic). There are some really good ones out there but they're 200-250 I think. 100-150 for billets would be a good deal, IMO.

Thanks for the heads up on what total junk those louvers are. You would think someone would have complained about them years ago to put the word out. :mad:

IAN.......I have two words for you........PROPANE INJECTION! :D

Go to billetspecialties.com if you want to check out what the finish would look like. I am pretty sure all there stuff is polished. Maybe I'll start a post in a different section so it can stay towards the top. When I get some time this week I will try and figure out how much this could get done for.