Gnx 000 ???

Does someone know something about the car which I posted in my previous post (#5) ? ...or whatever happened to it? Just by seeing several details in the pictures, it's clear that it is a pre-production car.

Claude. :confused:

It would be interesting to know about the other car and what it's role was in the project.

It was used to make the production fixtures for the rear suspension..... it may have been used for other purposes also.....fixtures made at ASC.....

I have no idea of another prototype, but I will not doubt Rick. But....AWK worked for Buick and on the GNX project and is very familiar with the inner workings at Buick during that time. So what I'm saying is don't embarrass yourself either. :wink:

The only thing that seems somewhat odd is that the other car's owner has never "published" the fact that his/her car is a prototype but that may be because they do not wish to let everyone know what they have. I can understand that. It would be interesting to know about the other car and what it's role was in the project.

Good advice and point taken;).....I wonder if the "other" prototype was even "black"???

There will be an article in Muscle Car Enthusiast next month featuring both the GNX and the GSX Prototypes. I have not seen the article or heard from the author since last year when the photos were taken. I'm assuming a nice write-up on both cars.

Speaking of prototypes, I have this "Muscle Cars" magazine (vol. 5 No. 3) in which there is an article about a true GNX prototype. There are few pictures showing parts that I've never seen and that never came out on production GNX's especially a cast aluminium "ribbed" up pipe and also a flat, aluminium plate differential cover with no "GNX" lettering on it, but there's no mention of any number on the dash. Could this be GNX #000?...I don't know, but one thing I know for sure is that car is definitely a pre-production car, made before the "real" GNX's were built because in the text, it is written that Buick intends to produce only 500 of them and we all know that they ultimately made 547 of them. I'm trying to post a few pics below, but it's a little difficult to take pictures of magazines, but here they are anyway. Hope you like them!...:wink:

Claude. :)

There were many prototypes at various levels for the car. Some stood out from others. All the prototypes were numbered (47GBC1?) Brad's car still has the number on his windshield, exactly where it should be.

The rear suspension you show there was used on most all of the prototypes. I had one of these complete and packaged, but someone walked off with it at our storage company.

The pictures you show there from the magazine are interesting. Quite a few times they wanted our GSX and GNX together. I was with one photographer and he wanted "the Shot". I haven't seen these surface anywhere yet(don't think they are in this spread), but I was doing a "burn out" with 001 and lets just say you could make BLACK snow balls with all the rubber left behind. 001 orginally had chromed wheel weights, well not anymore. Doble was down right upset to say the least. But I worked for the PR group and the car was used to show off. The Director of PR just smiled and said "way to go", he liked the out come. That day we lined up the GSX against 001 and ran them back to back many times. They were pretty even, 001 just had the traction and would come out a fender ahead.

Oh the fun days at GM...

AWK

GNX 000 does in fact exist, owner will be at BPG 2012 event. Car will be there too. Details will follow from him. He was the ASC VP at the time of the GNX. Car survived because it was hidden from Buick. Great stories! No rumore its a true car

I was in a GM class one time and the instructor(pretty old I might add) got on the subjuect of the GNX....He was telling us about one they built with a manual trans!!! It was crushed as GM said HELL NO it was to radical he said.
I wish I remember his name to ask X-Ray to see if thats true....X-RAY did you ever hear of a manual car???

Louis Infante who was a Vice President at McLaren responsible for the business interface with ASC and was the McLaren program director on the GNX program. From the time the model was conceived at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway until the final car was delivered,he led the McLaren product development and production support efforts on the program. (See the GNX book for my verification) he also owns what is plated as Car000 which is the final prototype vehicle listed in the book and the one that was used in the production plant as a 'master" vehicle for quality purposes. This car has been mostly in storage until recently and now has about 1100 miles on it. he shown it at private shows and it has been on display at the Woodward Dream cruise a couple of times and plans bringing it to the BPG Event. This is a not to miss event as we will also have Brad Conley's 86 GNX prototype on display.

gnpoweredrail said:
I was in a GM class one time and the instructor(pretty old I might add) got on the subjuect of the GNX....He was telling us about one they built with a manual trans!!! It was crushed as GM said HELL NO it was to radical he said.
I wish I remember his name to ask X-Ray to see if thats true....X-RAY did you ever hear of a manual car???

We had a red 1986 t-type with a manual 5 speed. It was interested to drive, but was slower than the automatic. You lose boost between shifts. Most all parts come from the El Camino. Not a beast, but fun to drive. AWK

We had a red 1986 t-type with a manual 5 speed. It was interested to drive, but was slower than the automatic. You lose boost between shifts. Most all parts come from the El Camino. Not a beast, but fun to drive. AWK

AWK what ever happened to the Manual 86 car? Destroyed?