Gnx 000 ???

turbo tom

I was at the Woodward dream cruise and seen a prototype GNX 000. The passenger side dash tag said GNX000. The question is how many were GNX000 prototypes? So really there were more than 547 right?

There are two prototypes that are on the street that I know of :rolleyes:, there are only 547 production vehicles…. these prototypes are just that, not production released vehicles. As for the badge, I think that is the only one with 000. There were other prototypes that also had low numbers on them but the vehicles were destroyed. Hope that helps.
PS 000 may not be a prototype vehicle...it may be a recreation... I do not remember putting that on a car.... but again we (I) may have....that was some time ago....

when i went to the Dream Cruise 2 years ago i got to see up close GNX #001 and talk to the guy who takes care of it for GM ...4k miles on it very awesome car

GNX1.jpg

There are two prototypes that are on the street that I know of :rolleyes:, there are only 547 production vehicles…. these prototypes are just that, not production released vehicles. As for the badge, I think that is the only one with 000. There were other prototypes that also had low numbers on them but the vehicles were destroyed. Hope that helps.
PS 000 may not be a prototype vehicle...it may be a recreation... I do not remember putting that on a car.... but again we (I) may have....that was some time ago....

There is only one documented Proto-type that I know of that remained intact from Buick. Buick NEVER badged a vehicle 000.

AWK

Speaking of prototypes, I have this "Muscle Cars" magazine (vol. 5 No. 3) in which there is an article about a true GNX prototype. There are few pictures showing parts that I've never seen and that never came out on production GNX's especially a cast aluminium "ribbed" up pipe and also a flat, aluminium plate differential cover with no "GNX" lettering on it, but there's no mention of any number on the dash. Could this be GNX #000?...I don't know, but one thing I know for sure is that car is definitely a pre-production car, made before the "real" GNX's were built because in the text, it is written that Buick intends to produce only 500 of them and we all know that they ultimately made 547 of them. I'm trying to post a few pics below, but it's a little difficult to take pictures of magazines, but here they are anyway. Hope you like them!...:wink:

Claude. :)

I had seen this GNX000 this year at the Woodward Dream cruise and it had a paper saying it was a prototype and it had the badge 000 on it. If it is there next year I will photo the car including the badge or vin if it had one. It did have a few thousand miles on it.

Wasn't a gnx stolen frm a gn yard taken for a joy ride? Aftr gm found it they crushed it? Thought I read it some where

from everything i've read, that was gnx #1....so not sure how the one posted above is #1......but then again i could be wrong. I'm sure someone who knows more about it than i will correct or confirm soon enough.

*EDIT*
Actually i'm probably wrong, that might have been a gnx prototype not #1

Dosen't Brad Conley own the only GSX prototype in addition to the only GNX prototype? They were in a magazine, maybe Hemmings Muscle Machines, last year.

Dosen't Brad Conley own the only GSX prototype in addition to the only GNX prototype? They were in a magazine, maybe Hemmings Muscle Machines, last year.

No ....more then one GNX prototype on the road.....

from everything i've read, that was gnx #1....so not sure how the one posted above is #1......but then again i could be wrong. I'm sure someone who knows more about it than i will correct or confirm soon enough.

*EDIT*
Actually i'm probably wrong, that might have been a gnx prototype not #1

A buddy of mine has been telling that story for years, but I've seen so many mentions of #001 recently I've shrugged it off as a misinformed rumor.

I remember the GNX article. I've got the magazine out in the shop, I'll have to dig it out someday.

Only one documented GNX prototype was sold by Buick to the public. Brad Connley now owns that car.

AWK

That may be what Buick thinks but it is not true...I know I worked on it and yes the vin is in the GNX book listed as a prototype vehicle... there is more then one. If you do not believe me that is OK....;)
But it was not sold to the public ....it was a vehicle already owned .. converted to a prototype and the original owner still has it....

That may be what Buick thinks but it is not true...I know I worked on it and yes the vin is in the GNX book listed as a prototype vehicle... there is more then one. If you do not believe me that is OK....;)

It would be interesting to follow the trail of sale of this "other" vehicle. There was only one authorized sale. It takes a lot of letters and signatures to sell a prototype vehicle at General Motors.

AWK

It would be interesting to follow the trail of sale of this "other" vehicle. There was only one authorized sale. It takes a lot of letters and signatures to sell a prototype vehicle at General Motors.

AWK

Please see my added note.....regards

the one i posted is 001 ...i have a pic of the dash if anyone wants a pic of that or the VIN ...i made sure to take a bunch of pics of it LOL

Research

AWK

You may want to research "who" X RAY is before you get into stating GNX facts. You may embarrass yourself:wink: Ask me how I know. Just some friendly advice:)

You may want to research "who" X RAY is before you get into stating GNX facts. You may embarrass yourself:wink: Ask me how I know. Just some friendly advice:)

I have no idea of another prototype, but I will not doubt Rick. But....AWK worked for Buick and on the GNX project and is very familiar with the inner workings at Buick during that time. So what I'm saying is don't embarrass yourself either. :wink:

The only thing that seems somewhat odd is that the other car's owner has never "published" the fact that his/her car is a prototype but that may be because they do not wish to let everyone know what they have. I can understand that. It would be interesting to know about the other car and what it's role was in the project.