GNS Performance TSR - (Turbo Street Radial)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydwyndr

Admin
Staff member
We would like to introduce the TSR class that will be run at the TurboBuick.com Nationals in March. Scot W. is in charge of this class and will be available via email or PM to answer any questions regarding this class. GNS Performance is the sponsor for this and will be paying $500 to win!! Entry fee is $25. Here are the rules:

CLASS DESCRIPTION
Turbo Street Radial is an entry-level Heads-Up class reserved for "Street Driven" vehicles. This class is aimed at the average high-powered streetcar or daily driver, similar to what you would find at the local hangout on a typical weekend evening. Something you can drive 500 miles to an event, Drag race and drive home.
**Amended rule 2/10/2010 :Buick Regal Turbo & TTA Specific class, No Hybrids or SY/TY's

STREET LEGAL REQUIREMENTS:
All cars are required to have working headlights and taillights, Brake lights, turn signals, Heat/air. ALL cars MUST be registered and insured. All race entrants MUST provide such documents during tech.

CHASSIS / SUSPENSION

FRONT SUSPENSION:
All cars must retain factory stock-type suspension. Bolt on aftermarket suspension components allowed. Aftermarket control arms / springs are allowed. Front sway bar MUST remain in place and hooked up!

REAR SUSPENSION:
Suspension components must remain in stock locations. Aftermarket control arms / springs are allowed. Frame rail CAN be notched for tire clearance. MUST have rear sway bar!

FRAME & CHASSIS:
Stock frame rails must be retained in stock locations front and rear.

DRIVE TRAIN

ELECTRONICS:
Aftermarket Progressive Methanol kits and manual boost controllers are PERMITTED. Aftermarket electronic engine management systems are PERMITTED. **Amended Rule 02/11/2010: Electronic / CO2 boost controllers are Permitted

ENGINE:
No cubic inch limits.

Heat / A/C:
Must have all equipment as from factory (Heater box, A/C lines, etc...). Must be in stock location with stock orientation

TURBO:
NO size limit.

INTERCOOLER:
Air-to-Air ONLY, Front mount / stock location Allowed.

EXHAUST:
Must have full exhaust. Must run through that same full exhaust.
No open dumps allowed

HEADS:
Aftermarket cylinder heads, aluminum or cast irons are allowed.

BODY:
The car must retain its original appearance and profiles. Aftermarket fiberglass parts are limited to hoods / trunks and bumpers only.

INTERIOR:
Vehicles must retain the factory interior. Factory door panels, headliner, carpet, dashboard are required.** Amended Rule 01/20/2010: Factory Seat belts OR Safety restraints required

WINDOWS:
Must be of Factory safety glass. No Lexan permitted. All front door windows must be fully Operational.

TIRES:
FRONT: Any front tires permitted with a minimum of 215-tire size.
No Bias Tires! No Retreads!! No Drag Radials!!!

REAR: MUST be Street Radials -- This would be any “Non-Drag Radial” Tire with a tread wear rating minimum of 250. Any width allowed, must maintain 28" height maximum. DRAG RADIALS " NOT ALLOWED "... Regular radial tires ONLY! No Bias Tires! No Retreads!
** Amended Rule 02/10/2010: Tires must have minimum tread depth of 2/32"

RIMS:
All 4 rims MUST match.

Vehicle Weight:
The minimum weight for TSR is 3500 lbs on all vehicles including driver

The GNS Performance TSR class will pay $500 win / $200 RU. This format will be heads-up/pro tree. The RRA for this class will be Scot W. There must be a 5 CAR MINIMUM in order to run the class. Each vehicle entered into the class will be given a GNS Performance license plate that must be on the front of the car before 1st round of qualifying on Friday. I would again like to thank GNS Performance for there sponsorship and continued effort in the Buick Community with new and innovative parts.

banner.gif

Looks good but the seat belt rule would be against the nhra rule book for and 11.49 or faster car.

Okay guys!

This class is something I’ve always wanted to see as not many tracks have something like this. I wanted to put together a class where the average spectator can say “Hey, I don't need drag radials or slicks" and can go get his car and participate and have as much chance as everyone else running in it, It's that easy!! Entrants don't have to worry about having certain mods that won't allow them to participate. In this class we allow pretty much anything!!

I have been racing at drag strips with regular street radials and let me tell you, there is an ART to putting the power down without blowing the tires off and it will be interesting to see !!

I'm the RRA for this class, if anyone has any questions please contact me personally prior to entry so we can keep the confusion down.

Let’s have some fun!! :)

Scot W.

Looks good but the seat belt rule would be against the nhra rule book for and 11.49 or faster car.
How fast do you think people will be able to go? There cars may be fast with slicks or DR's but it's a whole different ball game on regular radial tires!! Spinning = Slow times!! ;)

Plus, What does everyone do when they take there street car to there local tracks and they have regular seat belts?

Like Clint said, IHRA track and only 1/8th mile ;)

SW.

I'm putting the ac back in my car this winter. That and the sway bar and radial tires (which I have all stored away) and my car is legal. I think I could bust a 10 of with the tires.

Cool class btw

I'm putting the ac back in my car this winter. That and the sway bar and radial tires (which I have all stored away) and my car is legal. I think I could bust a 10 of with the tires.

Cool class btw

If that is the case Kevin you would be claiming high/mid 6's in the 1/8th on a street radial. Not an easy task... Hell I would even pay a $50 bonus to the first car to bust a 6.59 or quicker in this class during qualifying

Done some research for ya Kev! ;)

The TSR pretty much falls right in line with IHRS'a "Pure Stock" class and I copied there whole 2009 rule book. Here is just some of the stuff listed under that class.

After reviewing the IHRA rules for "Pure Stock" class, the following items are right out of there 2009 rule book.

"Pure Stock" = these classes are for street type cars which have minor modifications to the engine, chassis, transmission, carburetor, ect. (word for word out of the rule book)

BATT: Stock location
Body: Must have complete stock appearance.
Block: Must be OEM- NO filled blocks!
Helmet: SN-95 or newer or SFI 31.IA, 32.2A, 41.1A, or 41.2A Mandatory!!
Ignition: OEM ignition mandatory. The use of a starting 2-step or engine limiter is prohibited!!
Interior: Must be complete as delivered from factory.
SEAT BELTS: Complete set of OEM belts required.

Remember, This is pretty much a street car class running street radials with minor limits on mods.

SW.

If that is the case Kevin you would be claiming high/mid 6's in the 1/8th on a street radial. Not an easy task... Hell I would even pay a $50 bonus to the first car to bust a 6.59 or quicker in this class during qualifying
There ya go Kevin and everyone else!! ! Get to work!! :biggrin:

SW.

Lots of loop holes in them rules. Can't wait to see how this class turns out. I think i have a car as well that i can get to fit.

I am good on explaining the loop holes and have no questions for scott. Should be interesting next year. Can't wait

Good luck Tom. Just dont let them "loop holes" cause you not to be able to enter the class.

Tom,

Not sure what you mean by "Loop holes" in the rules. Maybe more like "Lack of rules"? ;) The goal of this class is to see who can apply the power and make the street tires grab and the more power the harder that is to do. This class was designed to allow a wider range of entrants than the classes in the past. With less rules, less restrictions and a decent pay-out we think this class will do well.

We Look forward to having you.

Scot W.

I think what they're referring to is the fact that the rules (for example) for making power are non existant. Enging???? no rules? I know of some very nice strong running STREET DRIVEN stage II cars that would fit your rules.
Lack of rules sometimes means lack of participation.

You've seen my car run in street trim, you don't really think it could hold a candle to some of the monsters that could fit your rules do you?

One persons idea of a "street driver" might be totally different than another's.

Engine rule is just one example. Turbo rule would be another. No restriction on heads. :confused:

Nice to have no rules, but not very realistic AT ALL, especially when you're making this a heads up class.

I think what they're referring to is the fact that the rules (for example) for making power are non existant. Enging???? no rules? I know of some very nice strong running STREET DRIVEN stage II cars that would fit your rules.
Lack of rules sometimes means lack of participation.

You've seen my car run in street trim, you don't really think it could hold a candle to some of the monsters that could fit your rules do you?

One persons idea of a "street driver" might be totally different than another's.

Engine rule is just one example. Turbo rule would be another. No restriction on heads. :confused:

Nice to have no rules, but not very realistic AT ALL, especially when you're making this a heads up class.
Glad you chimed in Dave!

EXAMPLE: Take my last GN for example it had a TSM engine M&A aluminum heads, 70GTQ turbo, 525 lift cam and you would have said years ago that your car wouldn't hold a candle to that car Right? Well when I ran it in BG ( With my street tires) it traped 124 mph but only a ET of 12.23 with a 60' time of 2.342! Dave Your car would have beat that!!!

The TRICK here is getting the power to apply and the Handicap here is the street tire! If some of those Monsters can make a street radial tire work WE WANT TO SEE IT!! Thats the whole purpose to this class.

This is a new class and our goals with it is just to have some fun with our cars. The whole point is for as many people as possible to be able to just go grab there car and enter it.. Basicly a class for anyone.

Scot W.

Guys don't try to over complicate something as simple as Scot has made the rules. It states No engine or turbo restrictions. Im fine with that. At this point you are only making assumptions that there are some heavy hitting Stage 2 "daily drivers" out there that are going to come out on street tires and dominate the class. TurboDave I understand what you are saying but the rules are simply stated. I say the rules are very Realistic. Point is the man is putting up HIS OWN money and running his class as he sees fit. If you don't agree with these rules then there will be PLENTY of other classes to choose from. I appreciate everyones input and hope you have fun in whatever class you decide to run!!

If people want to see a limit on the Turbo, Engine, or any other stuff please post! We want your input.. This is a new class and our goals with it is just to have some fun with our cars. The whole point is for as many people as possible to be able to just go grab there car and enter it.. Basicly a class for anyone.

Scot W.

Scot I understand what you are trying to do but be very careful to open this one up to limits. I say what you have is fine and I would recommend sticking to your guns

Status
Not open for further replies.