GN vs New Camaro

I have, I drove the 6 speed pre production version and a new production automatic. Low 13's, high 12's best all stock. The 6 speed feels pretty fast but track times have not proved it to be much faster than the auto. You should not have an issue with race gas, boost and traction.
Mike

Thanks guys for your confidence in my car. I do feel better about racing him and if he doesnt back out I will tell you all what happens!

Well, there will be no race this weekend! Guy with the camaro called this morning and told me he and his wife were taking off on their harley road bike and going to tunica to gamble all weekend. Wanted to let you guys know what was taking place and as soon as we get to the track I will post what happens. Thanks.

A friend of mine just bought a new SS Camaro with a six speed and it is the 426 hp car. He called me tonight and wants me to bring on my GN and he said he knew the little 6 would not stand a chance! I told him I would catch up with him maybe this weekend. What do you guys think? Has anyone drove one of these new camaros and are the fast enough to take a GN, his car is right out of the box, no mods. [ I am running race gas, and have added a few more things to my car that are not in my signature] thanks

I don't know, but I'd be willing to bet that the 426 hp is severely neutered via torque control. I drove a new GTO a couple years ago, and when you step on the gas, you don't get that snappy V8 throttle response like you'd expect. The tires didn't even spin, either. A friend of mine that bought a new Charger a couple years ago complained about the same thing in his car.

There is a nice little button on the center console of the GTOs that says TC. Push that button and no more torque control. I'm sure the camaro is the same in that you can turn off the TC. Then all you need is decent tires and know how to launch. My GTO has torque across the band, but the car really starts to move above 4500 rpm.

Dont forget to check for the remote turbo on the Camaro, that could hurt.:eek:

There's a few of the new SS Camaros running around Jacksonville now. I hope I run across one in the Buford and they are willing to play. I looked at one 2 weeks ago, they are nice cars for sure. I will be happy to run one with nitrous or whatever. I have a te60 on my car and it rocks on the street. You should take him easily with a good run.

What state do you live in ? 1/8 or 1/4 track ? .... Get a scanmaster turn the boost to 25-7 and look for knock. Try to make a track pass and tell us your times ;)

I don't know, but I'd be willing to bet that the 426 hp is severely neutered via torque control. I drove a new GTO a couple years ago, and when you step on the gas, you don't get that snappy V8 throttle response like you'd expect. The tires didn't even spin, either. A friend of mine that bought a new Charger a couple years ago complained about the same thing in his car.
Yea, the torque management system in the newer LS powered vehicles sucks a$$. Unless something is different on the Camaro, about the only way to get rid of it is a tune.

There is a nice little button on the center console of the GTOs that says TC. Push that button and no more torque control. I'm sure the camaro is the same in that you can turn off the TC. Then all you need is decent tires and know how to launch. My GTO has torque across the band, but the car really starts to move above 4500 rpm.
I think that button you're referring to is the "Traction Control". The differences in TC & TM are summed up well by fergyflyer on the GTO Forums:

fergyflyer said:
Torque management and traction control are 2 different but related things. The traction control reduces power when the computer, through the ABS sensors, detects slipage of the drive tires. Traction control can also apply the brakes if the reduction in power doesn't work.

Torque management only comes into play when you have extreme movements of the throttle. It's design is to keep power application smooth to avoid having a shock to the driveline that might damage it. If you are at full throttle and abruptly lift it actually slows the throttle closing by a small amount to reduce the harsh effect on the driveline, so it also works in the opposite direction.

Torque management can be taken off with a tune ....only takes 2 days to have your engine and trans computers reflashed / tuned ask me how i know :eek:

My bad, I think TM is only an issue with automatics.
I can speak from personal experience on the TrailBlazer SS. I had the AWD version. Stab it off the line and it would hit hard, then fall on its face, then pick up and go again. Ridiculous performance kill by the TM. That's one area the Jeep SRT8 is better. Less TM. Stab the throttle and the response is instant and pulls hard.

They say a tune alone on a TBSS will get you a half a second improvement. I don't doubt it.

How much hp does the scrapmaro have that it only runs 13's? Whens this race taking place? Soon i hope, im impatiently waiting for results:biggrin: .

Good luck Smoke him will ya!

Who cares who wins, just go out and race and have fun, unless you are not real close friends, and more of an aquaintences, if you guys are friends it is all in fun anyway and a little bragging rights amongst friends, have fun.

Ron