Gn turbo vs TTA turbo

bblock383

Hi all I have the opportunity to buy a TTA turbo and I'm wondering what the difference is if any to a Gn turbo? I read somewhere that the TTA turbine housing weighs more and has a larger a/r but I have no idea. I'm pretty sure the TTA intercooler is slightly better because it has 2 more rows of fins than the Gn version. How much of a difference that makes I dunno. But from what I can see in the pics they pretty well look identical to me. Any body have any insight on this? Thanks

Motors/drivetrain are almost identical. same turbo, same turbine AR .63, same garret turbo I believe. I think that the intercooler is different though, side by side they look the same. The mjor difference is the header design is different and the heads are 3.0 heads not the GN heads. Some say they have a slightly better flow characteristic. Crossover pipe is exlusive to the TTA and the intake piping from the air filter canister is different. The Transmission was set-up a bit different to be a little more plush between shifts. Also the Downpipe is different and the exhaust is obviously different than the GN. Basically it was a specific design for the TTA to the cat, but GM used the Iroc/GTA intermediate pipe and muffler.

The main difference as far as owning/driving one IMO is that the TTA handles curves WAY better. The GN is easier to work on and modify as far as intercooler mods and there are more options on aftermarket head design.
More options for Downpipe and exhaust. Oh yeah, the TTA is a bit faster!;)

Motors/drivetrain are almost identical. same turbo, same turbine AR .63, same garret turbo I believe. I think that the intercooler is different though, side by side they look the same. The mjor difference is the header design is different and the heads are 3.0 heads not the GN heads. Some say they have a slightly better flow characteristic. Crossover pipe is exlusive to the TTA and the intake piping from the air filter canister is different. The Transmission was set-up a bit different to be a little more plush between shifts. Also the Downpipe is different and the exhaust is obviously different than the GN. Basically it was a specific design for the TTA to the cat, but GM used the Iroc/GTA intermediate pipe and muffler.

The main difference as far as owning/driving one IMO is that the TTA handles curves WAY better. The GN is easier to work on and modify as far as intercooler mods and there are more options on aftermarket head design.
More options for Downpipe and exhaust. Oh yeah, the TTA is a bit faster!;)

aerodynamic is the main key also

I think you had better look a little closer, and they also had 1.65 rockers

No need to "look" closer, Since I saw the stock turbo on my car with my own eyes 20 years ago. Took the Stock turbo off and tried a "cheetah" with an .82 turbine housing, It sucked, spooled slow took it off and chucked it. Why would you want a .82 turbine housing on a street car? May want a 4500 stall convertor to go with that.

The link you have is to the drawthrough "before black" carb'ed cars. The TTA they are talking about was a 301 cubic inch Pontiac v-8. This is not the TTA most of us are familiar with. Totally different turbos.

Ahh shows what I know. I didn't know they did a turbo carb t/a. I did notice the compressor housing looked like the 83 Gn housing he had. Well I still wonder if the turbos are the same. I asked the guy that's selling me the TTA turbo to check what the a/r was n he said it says .63 so I'm guessing that for the most part they are the same turbo.
Am I wrong? Thanks for the posts

yea the early carbed turbo tta's were definitly .83, but that was on a 301 V8.

Who has this early Turbo?

Do they Wanna sell it?

And how much are they asking?

I want it. get me that 301 core, and I can help you with the turbo you want.

A.j.

The only visible difference is the way the word Garrett was cast into the compressor housing. Same compressor and turbine and same a/r as well.

The only visible difference is the way the word Garrett was cast into the compressor housing. Same compressor and turbine and same a/r as well.

Yeah, I remember that as well, seen a few stock GN turbos over the years. Maybe because of a different casting and manufacturing difference between 87 and 89 production. I remember hearing back in the early 90's that the Nissan 300 zx twin turbo used basically the same Garrett turbos used on the LC2.

Yeah, I remember that as well, seen a few stock GN turbos over the years. Maybe because of a different casting and manufacturing difference between 87 and 89 production. I remember hearing back in the early 90's that the Nissan 300 zx twin turbo used basically the same Garrett turbos used on the LC2.

I dont believe this is true. It would have spooled like a complete turd. Im not even sure if they were T3's.

I dont believe this is true. It would have spooled like a complete turd. Im not even sure if they were T3's.

Well, like I said, "I heard" you could be totally right. Not sure what the cu. in. was. Wouldn't the cubes make a big difference in the exhaust energy needed for 2 turbos to spin? I think it was a 6 cylinder, but I'm guessing. I got to drive one several times. Dad's Boss had one and let us keep it for a while. I never did get under the hood to verify and at the time I really didn't give a sh!t. But, it was a really fun car to drive. Was fast and quick and fun to drive with the manual trans. Wasn't as fast as my TTA, but still cool ride.

Well, like I said, "I heard" you could be totally right. Not sure what the cu. in. was. Wouldn't the cubes make a big difference in the exhaust energy needed for 2 turbos to spin? I think it was a 6 cylinder, but I'm guessing.

The Nissan engine was only a 3liter. Those turbos were tiny little things. Much smaller than stock tta turbo.