GN owner occupations

I install automatic transmissions at the local trans shop. Very small shop so I do every single one that comes in the door. Car, truck, import, domestic, whatever. Recently completed a paintless dent repair training course (the same as what 88 ZNX does) so hopefully that will take off and I can quit wrenching for a living. I am surprised there's not more full time mechanics on this board, but I can't blame anyone for not doing it as I am trying to get out also. If PDR goes like it should, you will see the list of cars in my sig get much longer.

I install automatic transmissions at the local trans shop. Very small shop so I do every single one that comes in the door. Car, truck, import, domestic, whatever. Recently completed a paintless dent repair training course (the same as what 88 ZNX does) so hopefully that will take off and I can quit wrenching for a living. I am surprised there's not more full time mechanics on this board, but I can't blame anyone for not doing it as I am trying to get out also. If PDR goes like it should, you will see the list of cars in my sig get much longer.

Still have Pauls GN?

Air Traffic Controller....8 years USAF, and 3 years FAA until the 1981 strike...then Purdue University student...then and now:

Mechanical Engineer...Cummins Engine Company. Have worked almost exclusively with 14 & 15 liter diesel engines with a little time in fuels systems (injector development) & turbo groups. 20 months away from retirement.

I'm on a short leash on what I can spend on the car...always get "the look" when a box shows up at the house for me :)

Happy New Year to All,
Bob Kolhouse

Wow there are several locomotive engineers in here! When this thread started I was doing something completely different than now and even had a company or 2 since then..
I've been working for one of the largest Class 1 railroads the last 5 years as their communications team lead, responsible for all external connections to their business partners, rail side detectors for various sorts, and customers. Any data coming in or leaving the company's firewalls goes through my software.

Great bump. This thread is a very cool blast from the past.
A few things have changed for me. I still own a glass shop. I am still a professional skydiver (weekend job ;)) , I now, also manufacture parts for old cars. :D

Industrial maintenance at one of the biggest cargill soybean processing plants in north america. Not the most luxurious job but the pay is good for this area.

The pdr took off. Where's all these cars? LOL sorry dude I had to!

The pdr took off. Where's all these cars? LOL sorry dude I had to!

Well to be blunt....I literally f*cked myself out of a place to sleep...so had to upgrade housing...then f*cked that one plumb full too...so instead of a badass garage full of badass cars next to a trailer house, I now have a large old house that's full of kids that like to color on the walls and sh!t on the floors. I guess it could be worse....I do have 2 decent TRs that I don't have time to work on...

Holy thread resurrection batman! When I posted at the top of this page, I had NO children! Wife got preggo about a month after that post...

Thanks for reminding me how my dreams got crushed LOL...maybe just "postponed", or is that wishful thinking also?

Last edited:
Glazier, Install windows on skyscraper.

I've done my share of swing stage glazing. The highest was 52 floors up. From that I went into skydiving. Guess I'm not scared of heights.
What other kind of glass have you screwed with?
I think I've pretty much done it all at one time or another.

I'm in the cast concrete business. Concrete box's, culvert's, wing walls, storm water and sanitation. I work my ass off 3-4months out of a year and the rest of the time it's gravy. I'm the shop foreman and pay is decent. Thinking of making the transition to either get my cdl and drive big truck or go to work at Volvo Trucks making the big rigs.