GN headers

Forcedfed

BOOST ADDICT
I want to put a set of aftermarket headers on one of my cars but can't decide which route to go. Has anyone out there tried the Hooker Super Comp headers on a GN? The tech guy at Summit couldn't tell me much about them. I want to keep my stock turbo shield, stock waste gate, etc. I already bolted on a stock appearing 3" downpipe on a ported stock turbo elbow (T49). I'm trying to keep the engine compartment looking stock. The Poston headers look pretty cool, but I don't know much about them either. Then I saw a picture of the Hooker header system and was really impressed by how it looks. Has anyone tried any of headers, can they bolt right on without having to change or modify other components?

From what I've read, the you can't get much better than the stock design, and the Poston's are a very good and durable product, and nice looking and will keep with your "stock" appearing equipment idea. For some reason, I don't think the Hookers are a very well liked product for GN's, maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like I've seen several posts about them, probably won't give you any gains as hardly any headers do, as I said, the stock design is a very good design. I have a set of KB stainless steel headers, bought them before I knew this board existed about 10 years ago when my stockers cracked, I must say they are durable since they are stainless, but I did not see any gains from them, may have even slowed me down, if I had it to do over, I'd go with the Poston's.

there are alot of things better you could spend your money on, unless your already in the 10's that is

Have your stock headers welded if they are cracked. Otherwise, keep them. No need for headers EVER with your stock appearing goals.

I HAVE ALSO BEEN LOOKING AROUND FOR A SET OF HEADERS. HAVE HEARD NOTHING GOOD ABOUT THE HOOKERS THEY ARE TO BIG FOR THE STREET THEY EVIDENTLY HURT YOUR SPOOL UP AND LOW AND MID RANGE POWER . I BELIEVE IF YOU DONT WANT TO SPEND THE MONEY FOR STAINLESS THEN THE POSTONS ARE THE WAY TO GO. PLUS THEY ARE CERAMIC COATED AND WILL CUT DOWN UNDER HOOD TEMPS

Originally posted by 87grandnat
there are alot of things better you could spend your money on, unless your already in the 10's that is
Very true, I was assuming your stockers were cracked and were looking for a replacement rather than continually welding them up. If not cracked, then spend your money elsewhere.

Guys, I really appreciate all the responses I got. The GN I'm considering headers for is close to stock and runs high 11's with the stock headers. Everyhting I've done can't be noticed by just looking at the car. Like I said, I was leaning towards Postons until I saw the Hookers. I even bought a used original set of headers and was going to jet hot coat them as another idea. The reason I was changing my mind about the original ones is because I keep hearing that they crack even after they are welded. My original ones haven't cracked yet, but then again it's only got 13k miles on it.

People have run 10's on stockers. If you have good ones keep them. The hookerrs really suck for anything but a race car and even then most use something else. The postons are very nice and work well on a stock to 10 sec car. I love mine and will be getting another set for my daily driver.

I've been real pleased with the Poston headers too. I've had them on my high 11 sec. car for about 4 or 5 years now with no problems. They seem to be a sturdy design and less prone to cracking.

Thanks again guys, I think I'm definitely staying away from the Hookers. I'll jet-hot coat the original one's after the area that is prone to cracking is reinforced (welded). I'll use them and if they ever do crack (lucky so far), then I'll upgrade to the Poston's headers (everyone seems to like the Poston's).
I have another question about downpipes, on second thought I'll start a separate thread for that topic. Thanks:D