GN Car prices as of late ??

You are absolutely correct. I sold my 06 Z06 in August of last year for $40k and they are already in the mid-upper 30's. Now bad for a new-ish car that has gone 10's completely stock! I would have never sold it but I had to cut my losses before I lost my shirt, since I was the first owner :cool: Here is a picture of my old Z:

resizekg.jpg

Nice mobile,I almost bought it's twin,I have been eyeballing a 08 jetstream blue z but it's got like 3k mi + is an 08 so its still,up their in price.
I know with out a doubt the 1st jetstream,z that i deem a great deal is going to be in my garage,the 1st one i saw in the showroom,i lost my mind + vowed on the spot i would own one when it became a situation where i wouldn't loose a ton of money by owning it for a couple yrs.(IE; wait till they are a few yrs old + get a good deal on one)
The 05 -06 c6 vette's now are dipping down to the 25 k range,+ there is a beautiful 08 jetstream ls3,on boston cl right now for $29k + it has the 3lt option package,nav.etc.
I've actually been looking at a 70 stage 1 car right now too,thats come down quite a bit but still way up there + even tho i know its oranges + apples i still find myself comparing it to newer stuff that i can actually drive,is faster,get's good mileage,for alot less money. I found a pristine, one owner triple black 03 cobra convertible yesterday that i think can be had for $16k, I didn't want to have him take it out with the sand + salt on the road unless i was 99% sure i was buying it, if i didn't just get the camaro i prob would have taken that home yesterday,but sadly i only have room for 1 more so i want to choose the right vehicle,+ really still want a tr. I may have to convert my garage back to a 3stall,the previous owner converted the last stall into a storage area.For the price of the gs, I could buy the 08 ls3 vette + the cobra + still have enough left over for a nice zx14. But that gs sure is pretty tho.
There are also screaming deals to be had on the ultra cheap cars out there too,
check out the 97 cobra convertible on boston craigs list right now,white tan int.
99k mi $5000,also a supercharged 5.0 on there too for $5k there was a 99 hardtop cobra,with a vortech for a while that must have sold, they were asking $7900.looked at a 02 gt convert 5 spd with i think 118k mi.but decent shape for $5000 the other day ,just wants to pay off the loan. there have been "a few" sc 5.0's for sale cheap recently on cl also.
I know these arn't buick tr's but it just kind of shows that the buicks have been hit on price , but i think some others have been hit even worse, or at least as bad.The 01-03 mustang gt's can be had dirt cheap in this area right now too.
look around + they can be found for $5-9k depending on miles options condition,etc. a pretty nice one can be had in the $7k area.
There is a smorgasbord:eek: of hi-po's out there right now,The problem is too many choices,what do you get.:confused:
In my area, all the lower end cars getting extra cheap,I payed $6200 for my very modified t-type,+ i think another local member sold his limited for $7000ish maybe a little more, + as i said the stang deals are unreal.

That's a bit scary tho,everybody knows you can have them appraised way beyond what they are actually worth,+ people will be totalling them , burning them + or having them stolen + dismantled just to collect more then they are able to sell them for.
Wow!!! Was that the sound of light bulbs going on over people's heads all across the country.
Thats something we don't want to happen to these cars either.

Insurance companies are smarter than most think they are. When you have a collector vehicle appraised, that appraisal is reviewed by an underwriter. If the underwriter sees any discrepincies in that appraisal, the appraiser WILL be contacted to verify is report. This is more common practice from insurance companies that specialize in collector vehicles, such as ACI and Haggerty.

Yes, it is easy to 'gain value' on your car, especially if you are tight with the guy doing the appraisal. I have had customers ask me "what it will take to up the value" of there Chevelle, Roadrunner, etc. and I tell them what I tell everyone else - its not worth tarnishing my name to make your car worth more. I would rather have a customer be pissed off and know there car isn't worth what they think it is than have them be pimping a car that isnt what it is. Unfortunately, this is done more often than not. I always chuckle when I see a car for sale that says "appraised at X amount" because you would only know if you saw it yourself. There's a place just across the WI/IL border that deals in muscle cars and there advertised prices are always high compared to market values. On top of that, they themselves have appraised the car higher than there sale price. They sucker in alot of people, and on more than one occasion I've dealt with people who have bought a car there and overpaid, or bought something that was supposed to be numbers matching and it was a re-stamp or the #'s were fudged or it was a re-bodied car. I have two employee's who work under me part time, and both are instructed to not do any appraisal work on any cars that come from that place. Most cars don't have any documentation to back them up. It's a nice place to go and look because they have some neat stuff, but IMO I wouldn't give them any money.

You may be (but probably not) wondering how my GN is insured. Obviously it's a huge conflict of interest if I were to appraise my own car. I have two options, I either have an appraiser I trust write me a report, or I insure the car for purchase value, which is what I have. I gave my insurance company a copy of a signed bill of sale from myself and the guy I purchased my car from, also a TB member that shall remain nameless :) I also have to give them detailed photo's of the car, and if I do anything to increase the value of the vehicle, i.e. repaint, interior, etc. I would then have to have a professional appraisal done.

Just for kicks, I pulled my recent value chart on an '87 GN. GN's can book anywhere from $7-23k depending on condition, documentation, and options. I watch the GN's on eBay and there are some decent deals along with some real junk going for big money. I have also owned other G-Body's that don't hold the value of a turbo Buick. With a stock market nose dive a couple years ago, financing becoming more diffucult to obtain, and those who bought a high dollar collector vehicle on a HELOC, retirement funds, or savings are dumping there cars for what they can get just to save face financially.

It's a buyer's market. Strike while the iron is hot if you can, enjoy your investment, and when the time is right - sell. Don't be afraid to put money into your investment, whether its a GN, Mopar, #s matching Chevelle, or Boss 429 Mustang :) Nothing bothers me more than a beautiful piece of American Muscle sitting a garage NOT being driven.

Whatever you do don't sale your **** on Craigslist, what a freakin joke they are. Everyone will nickel and dime you to death, and if you do find a person, he'll be a bull**** artist or a scammer!!! Everyone just hold on to your prize possessions.

I like this angle better, they never were worth what they were worth. :eek::p

Think about it and go drive your cars. :smile:

I hope they go lower, I need a new daily driver. :cool:

Whatever you do don't sale your **** on Craigslist, what a freakin joke they are. Everyone will nickel and dime you to death, and if you do find a person, he'll be a bull**** artist or a scammer!!! Everyone just hold on to your prize possessions.

One good thing about craigs list is it is local.You just have to weed out the undesirables,like any other market place.(Like you said lots of idiots)I have found that the ones that call you are not usually too bad,It's the endless e-mailers that are the ones to avoid.If i put an ad in i always put,i will not respond to e-mails, CALL ME.(BUT some will still e-mail anyway).We use to have a bi-weekly mag. called the Want Advertiser,that was awesome it was like my bible,first thing every tues morning i would fly to the cumberland farms to see if it was in yet,+ see what new cars were for sale in the new issue,+ there was always lots of deals to be had,but I think the internet put it out of business,probably craigs list.
When i have put cars for sale on specific car web sites ,I would get people calling me, ask a million questions, + then say ,"boy i wish you were closer i would buy this in a minute, It's like they called just to say they wished you lived closer,knowing they were too far to buy it.At least with c-list the people are usually within 50 miles or so.(There is only so many choices of places to sell,With e-bay you get the bogus bidders + dreamers) Yes there is nickle + dimers, but in this market you will get that everywhere, specilally If you are overpriced.+ right now many are, probably because they bought a few yrs ago + payed too much + then put even more in their cars, + now the bottom fell out from under them ,+ it's "reverse sticker shock."In this market, buyers know its a "buyers market" they know if you are not flexible on price they move onto 1 of the many other sellers.Alot of people say, i will wait till the spring,+ ask even more, but in the spring the market gets flooded with the "I'll wait till spring sellers" cars.every spring there is a deluge of perf.cars for sale, + my guess this spring will be even worse. If you Think this is bad try selling a house,I just turned down an offer of $40 less then i had my house sold for about a yr ago.I said no, they walked away + bought another place,which i must admit was a much better deal then my house was.If i had already bought another place to move into ,i would have jumped at their offer becaue i don't see me getting another offer like that one even tho it was low,+ i will prob end up selling for even less later or i'll have to rent it out, for a few yrs,until the market picks back up.
Easier said then done for some to hold onto their prized posessions too,because this economy has ruined so many people's finances that there may not be a choice of holding on or not.+ also the thought of having to take even less in the future is not a comforting feeling.
I buy,fix up + sell, mostly distressed buildings,+ right now i can buy places for prices that 3 yrs ago would have been,in some cases 3 to 8 times the price,The last place i got ,the bank,I bought it from lost $178k, but i'm holding back on buying anything else,because they are still sinking,+ even tho i can buy cheap,I can't get rid of them after. Another place, i bought twice,I orig bought for 158k lived in it for a couple yrs as the market was climbing,sold it for 265,needing a roof + other updates. About a yr + a half later, I bought it back from the bank that had foreclosed on it, for 101k, fixed it all up then sold it again for 165k.As a side note that same house now Might bring $140 or less.
So all in the course of a few yrs the house sold as a fixer upper at 158 then again as a fixer upper for 265 at about the peak of the market, then got a whole redo,new roof, floors walls,kitchen,baths, etc.but then was worth about $100 k less + took a couple months to get that.when the first time i had bought it there was a bidding war on the place, the first day, that actually,drove the price UP to the 158.To sum up, now it's all redone + worth less then it was about 6-7 yrs ago when it was a wreck.So if people are bummed they can't get what they want for their cars,this should give a little perspective.
WOW!!! I realize i got way off track,for this thread ,+ i almost just erased the whole thing but it took about 15 mins to type so i kept it, but I apologize,I guess my whole point is that it is a whole diff world then it was a few yrs ago. + everything is correcting from the "Easy Credit Financial Bubble" that was the 2ooo's.
I feel like mr. doom + gloom here.
Or Debbie Downer from saturday night live,WHaaaw !!! Whaaah!!!

Cars + Houses have been consuming my life for the last few weeks so,I guess my mind is venting all the built up thoughts onto this site.
Sorry for getting carried away.

One good thing about craigs list is it is local.You just have to weed out the undesirables,like any other market place.(Like you said lots of idiots)I have found that the ones that call you are not usually too bad,It's the endless e-mailers that are the ones to avoid.If i put an ad in i always put,i will not respond to e-mails, CALL ME.(BUT some will still e-mail anyway).We use to have a bi-weekly mag. called the Want Advertiser,that was awesome it was like my bible,first thing every tues morning i would fly to the cumberland farms to see if it was in yet,+ see what new cars were for sale in the new issue,+ there was always lots of deals to be had,but I think the internet put it out of business,probably craigs list.
When i have put cars for sale on specific car web sites ,I would get people calling me, ask a million questions, + then say ,"boy i wish you were closer i would buy this in a minute, It's like they called just to say they wished you lived closer,knowing they were too far to buy it.At least with c-list the people are usually within 50 miles or so.(There is only so many choices of places to sell,With e-bay you get the bogus bidders + dreamers) Yes there is nickle + dimers, but in this market you will get that everywhere, specilally If you are overpriced.+ right now many are, probably because they bought a few yrs ago + payed too much + then put even more in their cars, + now the bottom fell out from under them ,+ it's "reverse sticker shock."In this market, buyers know its a "buyers market" they know if you are not flexible on price they move onto 1 of the many other sellers.Alot of people say, i will wait till the spring,+ ask even more, but in the spring the market gets flooded with the "I'll wait till spring sellers" cars.every spring there is a deluge of perf.cars for sale, + my guess this spring will be even worse. If you Think this is bad try selling a house,I just turned down an offer of $40 less then i had my house sold for about a yr ago.I said no, they walked away + bought another place,which i must admit was a much better deal then my house was.If i had already bought another place to move into ,i would have jumped at their offer becaue i don't see me getting another offer like that one even tho it was low,+ i will prob end up selling for even less later or i'll have to rent it out, for a few yrs,until the market picks back up.
Easier said then done for some to hold onto their prized posessions too,because this economy has ruined so many people's finances that there may not be a choice of holding on or not.+ also the thought of having to take even less in the future is not a comforting feeling.
I buy,fix up + sell, mostly distressed buildings,+ right now i can buy places for prices that 3 yrs ago would have been,in some cases 3 to 8 times the price,The last place i got ,the bank,I bought it from lost $178k, but i'm holding back on buying anything else,because they are still sinking,+ even tho i can buy cheap,I can't get rid of them after. Another place, i bought twice,I orig bought for 158k lived in it for a couple yrs as the market was climbing,sold it for 265,needing a roof + other updates. About a yr + a half later, I bought it back from the bank that had foreclosed on it, for 101k, fixed it all up then sold it again for 165k.As a side note that same house now Might bring $140 or less.
So all in the course of a few yrs the house sold as a fixer upper at 158 then again as a fixer upper for 265 at about the peak of the market, then got a whole redo,new roof, floors walls,kitchen,baths, etc.but then was worth about $100 k less + took a couple months to get that.when the first time i had bought it there was a bidding war on the place, the first day, that actually,drove the price UP to the 158.To sum up, now it's all redone + worth less then it was about 6-7 yrs ago when it was a wreck.So if people are bummed they can't get what they want for their cars,this should give a little perspective.
WOW!!! I realize i got way off track,for this thread ,+ i almost just erased the whole thing but it took about 15 mins to type so i kept it, but I apologize,I guess my whole point is that it is a whole diff world then it was a few yrs ago. + everything is correcting from the "Easy Credit Financial Bubble" that was the 2ooo's.
I feel like mr. doom + gloom here.
Or Debbie Downer from saturday night live,WHaaaw !!! Whaaah!!!

Cars + Houses have been consuming my life for the last few weeks so,I guess my mind is venting all the built up thoughts onto this site.
Sorry for getting carried away.

If your looking for one why not just put a price range your willing to pay & place that in the cars wanted section and mention your area so you weed out the far away guys?

If your looking for one why not just put a price range your willing to pay & place that in the cars wanted section and mention your area so you weed out the far away guys?

I think you read it wrong,(Though i wrote almost a novel in that last post,so it prob wasn't hard to do.):D
What i said was when i put an ad to "sell" cars on sites like this one or ls1.com etc.,i got the far away people, calling me just to tell me i was too far away. because you get people looking at these type of sites from all across the country,world even.+ that craigs list, is people looking locally for things.

Actually i did put an ad in the car wanted section here, saying within a 150 mile of boston.+ i did get a few reply's.

Had mine listed for 18K. After looking at some possible trades and the condition of the cars that people were trying to trade I decided to up my selling price to 20K. I know I have a very clean car and if someone is looking for a fast, clean car they will be willing to pay.
Case in point. There are 2 camaros for sale in my area.
1 is a 79 Z28 one owner car. asking 15K. Car has rust bubbles all through rockers and rear fenders. Also has a hole in the floor board about 3"X6". non a/c car and the engine compartment looks like he was out mud boggin.

2nd car is a 80 Z28. Low mileage clean car with a 502/502. Asking 17,5000.
Car is nice but the a/c is gone. has a piece of sheet metal covering hole in firewall. it's a 46,000 mile car with original interior and paint but I think they may have hurt the value by replacing the wheels with welds and the engine.
A low mileage original would bring more collectors out.

So I am selling a car that has ZERO rust, plenty of performance upgrades and very clean interior that will pull on both of these cars and probably gets double the fuel mileage for practicly the same price?!? NOT! that's why it's at $20,000 now.

I am in the car sales business and I totally see the trend going the wrong way. The jan and feb are the worst months unless your selling chit boxes on craigslist for less than 5k. I use craigslist for selling anything under 10k and I usually sell about 15-20 a month off there. The new market is not to bad,I am selling vw's and they dont have markup like the domestic dealers. Thats how they can throw 10-15k off a car or truck. Its killing the market out there. As for the muscle car market yes its chitty too. I just bought a 1969 camaro all#s matching from the original owner for 5k. I just sold a original gn with 81k miles for 10k and a 1969 chevelle ss 396 was sold for 15k. I cant believe what there going for right now.Its deffinately time to buy if you have the money...:(

Had mine listed for 18K. After looking at some possible trades and the condition of the cars that people were trying to trade I decided to up my selling price to 20K.

So I am selling a car that has ZERO rust, plenty of performance upgrades and very clean interior that will pull on both of these cars and probably gets double the fuel mileage for practicly the same price?!? NOT! that's why it's at $20,000 now.

That cheap? :eek:

yeah, that cheap.
I have a 1 owner 30K mile 2002 vette that is only worth 13-15K:frown: I have been watching the c5 vette prices fall like a drunk at mardi gras:eek:

I was being sarcastic lol I think you're aiming way too high with your GN, no offense.

i know you were. i got thick skin. after all i drive a buick with a v-6 in it.

not just in the US

Just got my AW mag and saw a GNX with actual miles of 230 miles sold at RM Auctions in London for a whooping $70,900! It was sold to a US bidder by the way:biggrin:

Is it me, or are these cars not really fetching what they should be lately? I have been keeping an eye on Ebay's completed listings, and there are several nice 86 or 87 GN's with less than 100k having trouble fetching 8k?? Really?? A car that should be getting 10 or 12 k?

Opinions?

Where have you been the last 3 years? Glad to see America is starting to wake up.

Everyone has come to a "price adjustment"..... it will come back...

If you have $$$ buy buy buy...

Ah huh, that is what Klag said back in 2008, still waiting...

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/1928422-post15.html

Once you understand the fundamentals and why it is happening, only then will you be ready to accept reality.

"It's" not coming back for a very very long time.

GN prices might be down & more sane but if its a "RARE" t-type its going to be close to blood in cash as everyone that has one of them things think they have a car worth more then a GN & I just dont get it as I have allways watched t-types go cheap even frigging we4 ones but if you look at ads on here there mostly $12-25K cars when a real GN is $6-20K cars its just funny to me :)