GN Car prices as of late ??

ChrisF

Is it me, or are these cars not really fetching what they should be lately? I have been keeping an eye on Ebay's completed listings, and there are several nice 86 or 87 GN's with less than 100k having trouble fetching 8k?? Really?? A car that should be getting 10 or 12 k?

Opinions?

Is it me, or are these cars not really fetching what they should be lately? I have been keeping an eye on Ebay's completed listings, and there are several nice 86 or 87 GN's with less than 100k having trouble fetching 8k?? Really?? A car that should be getting 10 or 12 k?

Opinions?

Right on, but it isn't just the Buicks... everything is way off.. Look at the Mopars, Trans Ams, Camaros, Mustangs etc...

Everyone has come to a "price adjustment"..... it wll come back...

If you have $$$ buy buy buy...

junk you can steal, anything with serious mods ur still gonna pay. bone stock high mileage cars aint pullen chit

situation is now worse than ever..... I you are looking for a cheap nice GN go for it.

Is this the worst year ever for the GN and TB prices?

ALL the cars are down...I own a few muscle cars, their flat! even the "snob auction" barret jackson ain't doin 'chit, it is what it is....grab what u want and either enjoy it at discount prices or cross ur fingers for a market rebound...but be patient! It's gonna be a long ride IMO :p Real car guys enjoy 'em.......Spend freely :biggrin:

I agree these cars are not worth what they use to be worth.:(
and as time goes by it is getting worse

Its horrible right now. I dropped price on one of mine and still nothing. You could probably get more parting them out:frown:

It's a buyers' market...it will change in time, history has proved this many times. But honestly, whenever you spend alot of $$$ building a car...even #'s matching/rare muscle....u generally loose money so the "theory" hasn't changed alot. High dollar cars are just tough to move right now because of financing too....it use to be easy and no more (at least for now). Seems the cars under 9K are still moving...just not the "need financing" cars...and Miggy, your car is very nice.

I guess we must enjoy them but it is hard to look at the cars for sale section... we do see amazing bargains.

Also it is winter for half of the north america so the market is more quiet.

It's a buyers' market...it will change in time, history has proved this many times. But honestly, whenever you spend alot of $$$ building a car...even #'s matching/rare muscle....u generally loose money so the "theory" hasn't changed alot. High dollar cars are just tough to move right now because of financing too....it use to be easy and no more (at least for now). Seems the cars under 9K are still moving...just not the "need financing" cars...and Miggy, your car is very nice.

Thank you for the compliment firechaser...You are right, no matter what you will always lose money on cars... I recently traded a porsche boxster for an early ford bronco, boy did that that go wrong!!! Went well for him he got fame out of it he was on the news for like 2 weeks. As for myself, i made chit on the bronco being a classic and all...and that's just with ONE of the cars i sold last year!!!!! here's the link: Local Teen Uses Craigslist To Trade Cell Phone For Porsche

Opinions?

It's,just another bubble bursting,Things got overblown in the past,because people were using,their home equity,like an atm card,so everybody who owned a home had bucks to burn.Everybody i know kept refinancing every chance they could + pulling out equity,+ buying motor homes, cars,boats,bikes etc. now they have to pay all that back,+ most owe more on their houses then they are worth.
Most people think that this bad economy + lack of buying power is due to unemployment,which is a big part of it but,also the fact that even people with good jobs, have lost so much of their net worth,+ generally feel less rich because they lost so many tens of thousandsof dollars in equity,some hundreds of thousands,+ some even millions.
Some people cashed all theirs out,some cashed out a good bit,but even the ones who didn't cash out,now have sooo much less equity,that they don't feel they can afford to spend.And may not be able to qualify for a loan now even if they wanted to cash out some equity.
notice I said bursting,not burst,I think they will come down more,I see alot of cars on here that i think are still overpriced compared to the value of other types of cars out their for sale now.
I just bought a 02 sunset orange metallic,camaro ss,with 58k mi for $9000,it is super tight and looks+ feels like a new car,the choice was this car or a 96k mi,gn that was loose, rattely,smell like mold,needed the usual work,for $8500.I would have payed $12 for the ss before i payed $7 for the gn.

I put a post in cars wanted + have gotten some reply's with insane prices on cars,not all of them,I realize some people have put alot into mods + are trying to recoup,+ i don't blame them, but some are just dreaming on basic cars for crazy money.
I have been looking,but can't find what i see as a good deal for this economy,Anything that comes up on here for sale that is reasonably priced is snagged up quick by a car dealer or 2.
I think locally the prices are more realistic(craigs list etc.) then on this board because people know that their is a concentration of turbo regal people here so they tend to price higher here,Thats not a shot at this site ,it's the same on any car site that specializes on a certain car type.
In the past i got out of collecting muscle cars ,because the prices got so insane that it was not fun anymore,+ then every speculator + car dealer became a muscle car dealer,+ ruined it.
I Pray that these cars don't become too popular + the collector car dealers,d start buying them up,because before long you won't be able to afford 1,+ they will end up like the muscle cars all wherehoused by the big specialty car dealers,
I don't think that is going to happen tho,luckily,because the muscle cars ,1965-1971,was followed by about a 25 yr drought of performance cars,so the stronger earlier cars became very desirable.now we have the oposite there are so many,300-600hp cars being produced,that ten yrs from now,there will be a glut of used 400-600 hp cars out there,(Their is already 6 yrs of z06 production)the base 6 cly camaro + stang are now over 300 hp,the stock stang gt +maro ss,is over 400 + the base vette is 430 hp.+ they are now talking about big hp, boss stangs + z/28 camaro models,not to mention the mopars,caddy's + you just know the japanese are going to be stepping up with some of their own soon. So i think the turbo regals will always be popular but,the value i think will be kept somewhat in check (A good thing)because there will be tons of very high performance cars everywhere,in a few yrs.
I've got a sneaking feeling the gnx's will be coming down further then they have too,It's tough to spend,$60k,on a 23yr old 300 hp car,only to be had in black + auto,(Don't get me wrong ,I LOVE the gnx's,but i'm a realist) when you can now get a 4 or 5 yr old,505hp,200 mph,stuck like glue to the road,10 sec car, with traction,babe magnet,in choice of colors,(and paint thats not checking) + a 6 spd. for $40k the 06's are there now.+ in a couple yrs will be mid $30's .same with the gt 500's,$35k will get you a mint 2 or 3 yr old 500+ hp, like new shelby,in choice of hardtop or convertible 6 spd or auto.
The gnx's are still going to be valuable,because they are rare,+ unique + most have very few miles, but alot of would-be buyers are going to be seeing alot more bang for the buck value elsewhere.
Anyway moral of the story is ,don't complain that the prices are coming down ,this is a good thing.It was a bubble like all the others ,they are now just coming down to where they should be.
we should celebrate.

I agree, it will be many years before the prices climb to where they were and they will go lower than where they are before they go up. Look at the GS cars they have never brought the money that the high end Chevy and Mopar cars do, even though we love these cars and are passionate about them it is still just a Buick. The very thing we love about them is the thing that the causes the collector market to shrug their shoulders.
Mike

It's,just another bubble bursting,Things got overblown in the past,because people were using,their home equity,like an atm card,so everybody who owned a home had bucks to burn.Everybody i know kept refinancing every chance they could + pulling out equity,+ buying motor homes, cars,boats,bikes etc. now they have to pay all that back,+ most owe more on their houses then they are worth.
Most people think that this bad economy + lack of buying power is due to unemployment,which is a big part of it but,also the fact that even people with good jobs, have lost so much of their net worth,+ generally feel less rich because they lost so many tens of thousandsof dollars in equity,some hundreds of thousands,+ some even millions.
Some people cashed all theirs out,some cashed out a good bit,but even the ones who didn't cash out,now have sooo much less equity,that they don't feel they can afford to spend.And may not be able to qualify for a loan now even if they wanted to cash out some equity.
notice I said bursting,not burst,I think they will come down more,I see alot of cars on here that i think are still overpriced compared to the value of other types of cars out their for sale now.
I just bought a 02 sunset orange metallic,camaro ss,with 58k mi for $9000,it is super tight and looks+ feels like a new car,the choice was this car or a 96k mi,gn that was loose, rattely,smell like mold,needed the usual work,for $8500.I would have payed $12 for the ss before i payed $7 for the gn.

I put a post in cars wanted + have gotten some reply's with insane prices on cars,not all of them,I realize some people have put alot into mods + are trying to recoup,+ i don't blame them, but some are just dreaming on basic cars for crazy money.
I have been looking,but can't find what i see as a good deal for this economy,Anything that comes up on here for sale that is reasonably priced is snagged up quick by a car dealer or 2.
I think locally the prices are more realistic(craigs list etc.) then on this board because people know that their is a concentration of turbo regal people here so they tend to price higher here,Thats not a shot at this site ,it's the same on any car site that specializes on a certain car type.
In the past i got out of collecting muscle cars ,because the prices got so insane that it was not fun anymore,+ then every speculator + car dealer became a muscle car dealer,+ ruined it.
I Pray that these cars don't become too popular + the collector car dealers,d start buying them up,because before long you won't be able to afford 1,+ they will end up like the muscle cars all wherehoused by the big specialty car dealers,
I don't think that is going to happen tho,luckily,because the muscle cars ,1965-1971,was followed by about a 25 yr drought of performance cars,so the stronger earlier cars became very desirable.now we have the oposite there are so many,300-600hp cars being produced,that ten yrs from now,there will be a glut of used 400-600 hp cars out there,(Their is already 6 yrs of z06 production)the base 6 cly camaro + stang are now over 300 hp,the stock stang gt +maro ss,is over 400 + the base vette is 430 hp.+ they are now talking about big hp, boss stangs + z/28 camaro models,not to mention the mopars,caddy's + you just know the japanese are going to be stepping up with some of their own soon. So i think the turbo regals will always be popular but,the value i think will be kept somewhat in check (A good thing)because there will be tons of very high performance cars everywhere,in a few yrs.
I've got a sneaking feeling the gnx's will be coming down further then they have too,It's tough to spend,$60k,on a 23yr old 300 hp car,only to be had in black + auto,(Don't get me wrong ,I LOVE the gnx's,but i'm a realist) when you can now get a 4 or 5 yr old,505hp,200 mph,stuck like glue to the road,10 sec car, with traction,babe magnet,in choice of colors,(and paint thats not checking) + a 6 spd. for $40k the 06's are there now.+ in a couple yrs will be mid $30's .same with the gt 500's,$35k will get you a mint 2 or 3 yr old 500+ hp, like new shelby,in choice of hardtop or convertible 6 spd or auto.
The gnx's are still going to be valuable,because they are rare,+ unique + most have very few miles, but alot of would-be buyers are going to be seeing alot more bang for the buck value elsewhere.
Anyway moral of the story is ,don't complain that the prices are coming down ,this is a good thing.It was a bubble like all the others ,they are now just coming down to where they should be.
we should celebrate.

Well said, but you better watch out on here as many on this board will think you are trying to execute a well thought out plan to bring down the values on their beloved Turbo Regals. Cause you know its not market conditions that have anything to do with that. For buyers, its a pretty good time. $9K for an 02 SS with decent miles is a great deal. There are plenty of great deals out there now that just weren't avaialble a year or so ago. 2 years ago, my 2000 Cobra R with 5K miles would have fetched a solif $45K. Now, probably more like $32K with some luck. Kind of sucks when the cars you have lose value, but everyone knows that cars should be bought to be enjoyed and if you are doing it for investment purposes only, you are rolling the dice. Cars by in large are not great investments. You really have to get a great deal and turn a car over wuick in order to make out ok. End up holding on to a car for a few years and you end up losing. Moral of the story...some people understand the market, and others are still living in fantasy land.

Well said, but you better watch out on here as many on this board will think you are trying to execute a well thought out plan to bring down the values on their beloved turbo regals.

Drats, my diabolical plan to de-value the venerable turbo regal,+ bring the buick community to it's knee's has been exposed to the world.Mmmwwuha ha ha ha!!!!!. That's my maniacal laugh in case you were wondering.:biggrin:

But I do think it's for the best, if they stay at a steady value,If they go up too much,then the automobile pimps move in + capitalize on them for profit,prices rise + the well healed dealers buy them all up,raise the prices, + they become unpractical to own + drive,+ enjoy just like the old muscle cars did.
If they get too cheap like the fox mustangs did,every kid with a job at Mcdonalds gets one + destroys them in nothing flat.

The collector automobile, no matter the make/model, is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Being in a business that does appraisal work for insurance value, I recommend everyone get there TR/GN appraised in case the unfortunate would happen. I'm not talking about having to sell, I'm talking fire, crash, or theft.

At work now, I will elaborate more when I get home this evening.

I've got a sneaking feeling the gnx's will be coming down further then they have too,It's tough to spend,$60k,on a 23yr old 300 hp car,only to be had in black + auto,(Don't get me wrong ,I LOVE the gnx's,but i'm a realist) when you can now get a 4 or 5 yr old,505hp,200 mph,stuck like glue to the road,10 sec car, with traction,babe magnet,in choice of colors,(and paint thats not checking) + a 6 spd. for $40k the 06's are there now.+ in a couple yrs will be mid $30's.

You are absolutely correct. I sold my 06 Z06 in August of last year for $40k and they are already in the mid-upper 30's. Now bad for a new-ish car that has gone 10's completely stock! I would have never sold it but I had to cut my losses before I lost my shirt, since I was the first owner :cool: Here is a picture of my old Z:

resizekg.jpg

I always found it funny that the average 86/87 GN brings in close to $10k yet all the other G-body cars were priced under $5k in similar condition.

The collector automobile, no matter the make/model, is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Being in a business that does appraisal work for insurance value, I recommend everyone get there TR/GN appraised in case the unfortunate would happen. I'm not talking about having to sell, I'm talking fire, crash, or theft.

That's a bit scary tho,everybody knows you can have them appraised way beyond what they are actually worth,+ people will be totalling them , burning them + or having them stolen + dismantled just to collect more then they are able to sell them for.
Wow!!! Was that the sound of light bulbs going on over people's heads all across the country.
Thats something we don't want to happen to these cars either.