Picture 347.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 808
  • Picture%20007[1].JPG
    Picture%20007[1].JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 835
  • DSCN0449.JPG
    DSCN0449.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 833
Just thought I would jump into this thread and add some things.

I bought my (now Gary's) car at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville auction in April of 1999. Most of the cars went for less than $3,000 at the auction. Mine cost a little more because it was in better shape and had been set up for using high test gasoline. (I don't know what they did.)

I talked to one of the people from Oak Ridge and he told me that the engines in the test cars had been torn down and the moly/cast iron rings were replaced with chrome rings. They were afraid that the excessive methanol would wash the oil from the cylinder walls and scuff the moly off the original equipment rings.

This may have already been posted, but, all the exposed metal in the fuel system was plated with nickel, fuel rail and so forth. Cuts down on corrosion.

As an aside, if I ever find the rest of the paperwork, I had on the car, I will send it to Gary.

That's all I can remember that I wanted to post. See you guys at Bowling Green. I wil be in the tent beside the side entrance to the circle track. That's where the Carolinas Chapter sets up every year. I'll also be driving my "new" car, a 1977 Regal Coupe dark brown with a buckskin vinyl half top and "three on the tree."

good info, Race. i forgot/didnt know the engine had been worked in too. see you in BG....im looking forward to you seeing the T after all the work i done to it since last year...youll be happy.go find some paper work;) :biggrin:

looking forward to seeing the "new" car.....what all youve done to it?

anyone got a pic of what colors the federal sticker on the outside c pillar was???? i would like to have this detail done by BG too.thanks.

anyone got a pic of what colors the federal sticker on the outside c pillar was???? i would like to have this detail done by BG too.thanks.

I don't know that one, Gary.

On my '77, just A/C, Alternator Sway bars and Tires. I did put ZDDPlus in the oil. :biggrin:

I did and I use Mobil 1, I was skeptical when it first came out but better safe then sorry. It's only $10 per oil change compared to tearing down for a new cam. Race, that's a nice find! I always liked that body style even before the turbo cars came out. My grandmother had a triple black 73 Century, loved that car!

Gary,
I got a good look at the car up on the grass in BG. Boy (!) does it look good. I took a couple a pictures. If you want them, let me know.

You really do good work.

See ya' around.

This is entirely too cool. I would love to see as many pics as possible. I have always love the "odd" and "rare" things GM did; this certainly qualifies!!

WOW!

Cutlass Supreme

Awesome Website!!! This reminds me of my first car...A 1978 Cutlass Supreme...Hotest car on the road! Raced many guys in their sporty lil looking cars and won at the strip at Summerville Lake!!! HAHA...Sure miss those days! Curently drive a Chevy Cobalt Sport...Golly wish they'd make em like they used to.

For Auction

my car is for auction, here is some more pics.

Attachments

• 08-13-08_1603.jpg
    08-13-08_1603.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 563
  • 08-13-08_1602.jpg
    08-13-08_1602.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 580
  • 08-13-08_1601.jpg
    08-13-08_1601.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 578
more

pics

Attachments

• 08-12-07_1600.jpg
    08-12-07_1600.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 599
  • 08-13-08_1559.jpg
    08-13-08_1559.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 579
  • 08-13-08_1558.jpg
    08-13-08_1558.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 579
more

more

Attachments

• 08-13-08_1557.jpg
    08-13-08_1557.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 553
  • 08-13-08_1555.jpg
    08-13-08_1555.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 554
whoa

So there were only 5? and all GM test cars? My freinds was blue! 60-40 bench, colum shift? his is silver now with a custom interior and ALOT of up-grades!!! . here is a pic.

I had a 1976 Cutlass Supreme looked very similar to this one! It was the best car I have ever had...I used to beat all the guys at the Summerville Lake Racing back in the day! *memories...ahhh

Those cars went from GM to the Y-12 and The X-10 plants in Oakridge for testing.They were then Given to the University of Tennessee for further testing for some kind of alternate fuel race that goes on between Schools.
The university then held an Auction I think it was in 2000 or 2001,and these cars were sold.One of the cars, before it was sold,The UT R&D Dept Rebuilt one of the motors and they could not figure out how the cam sensor was supposed to be set.They had gotten my Phone # from somebody and called me to help them with setting the cam sensor.I did and i actually heard the car start up over the phone. Very interesting cars.I can see some of the minds working already on this type of Methanol injection.There is prolly going to be alot more than 5 of these cars in the future. ( of course not the Factory GM's There will only be 5 )
puddin

Yup! Back in 1989, GM sponsored the Methanol Marathon - gave 20 odd Chevy Corsica's to universities all across North America- told em to convert em to methanol. My school, Concordia U. in Montreal got one, I was on that engineering team In 1989 we drove down to U of T for an alt fuels conference and got to ride in the methanol fueled TR. That TR went like stink!

Our Corsica went alright too - but fueling and knock was an issue. The car had this awesome Garrett variable nozzle turbo, auxilliary Miller Woods fueler..