GM testing Methanol in T-types?

Here are some published reports from that project.

"Results From the First Year of Operation of the Federal Methanol Fleet at Oak Ridge National Laboratory" by R. N. McGill, B. H. West, S. L. Hillis, and J. W. Hodgson. Oak Ridge National Laboratory, ORNL/TM-11229, June, 1989.

"Results From the Second Year of Operation of the Federal Methanol Fleet at Oak Ridge National Laboratory" by B. H. West, R. N. McGill, and S. L. Hillis. Oak Ridge National Laboratory, ORNL/TM-11622, September, 1990.

"Federal Methanol Fleet Project Final Report" by B. H. West, R. N. McGill, S. L. Hillis, and J. W. Hodgson. Oak Ridge National Laboratory, ORNL/TM-12278, March, 1993.

I also saw SMOKINTTYPE's. He slid sidways and hit a curb with both side tires, launching it up in the air and landing back on the roof. Kinda wierd looking seeing no damage on the sides and a cruched roof. They were pulling the motor and other stuff when I was there. The fuel pump is in mine now!:D

another update

got to meet Donnie and Scott at B.G.,cool guys. ive been reading up on these reports and here is what ive found so far;

1) 10 CARS!!!!!!!!! five were with the methanol coversion, five tested as oem to compare to a gas car. theres five test cars out there people dont even know they have....look closer at your blue colum shift cars....

2) one hundred different test drivers gave their opinions on fuel enconomy,power,etc. yes they like the power;)

3)methanol cars were converted by an outside source,not gm. Michigan Automotive Research Corporation.

will read the whole report and let you guys know what i find out thats interesting.

thanks to jgme for the info, very cool.

Here are some published reports from that project.

"Results From the First Year of Operation of the Federal Methanol Fleet at Oak Ridge National Laboratory" by R. N. McGill, B. H. West, S. L. Hillis, and J. W. Hodgson. Oak Ridge National Laboratory, ORNL/TM-11229, June, 1989.

"Results From the Second Year of Operation of the Federal Methanol Fleet at Oak Ridge National Laboratory" by B. H. West, R. N. McGill, and S. L. Hillis. Oak Ridge National Laboratory, ORNL/TM-11622, September, 1990.

"Federal Methanol Fleet Project Final Report" by B. H. West, R. N. McGill, S. L. Hillis, and J. W. Hodgson. Oak Ridge National Laboratory, ORNL/TM-12278, March, 1993.

Hell,.. I just want one of those tanks!! I'd love to have all the extra fuel capacity in my t type. I hate going to the gas station.

edit: oh yeah, my (blue) 84 t type had the same little chrome piece that goes around trunk lock

I saw one at BG at the Holiday Inn. We were parked right next to it. I recognized it right away with the big decal on the pillar, then confirmed this looking underneath it. The bumper fillers were blown out. Car was in decent shape though.

so was this an emissions thing or was this just for power?

are the cars still able to run on methanol? seems like there could be a ton of potental for huge power with them.

too bad my old blue bench seat colum shift T wasn't one of the other test cars...

The last Buicks at Bristol event a fellow had one for sale i think he was from North Carolina, he also had a TTa for sale too. Those are some very interesting cars.

And I thought all this time my hotair was cool because it had factory wiring to the "power injection" light that lights up when you put 12v to it. These methanol cars are very interesting.

that was my car! the tech sesion was a waste of time,huh? ive got bumper fillers now:biggrin: my wife made up the c pillar stickers on magnetic signs to cover the old spots.

I saw one at BG at the Holiday Inn. We were parked right next to it. I recognized it right away with the big decal on the pillar, then confirmed this looking underneath it. The bumper fillers were blown out. Car was in decent shape though.

so was this an emissions thing or was this just for power?

are the cars still able to run on methanol? seems like there could be a ton of potental for huge power with them.

too bad my old blue bench seat colum shift T wasn't one of the other test cars...

ive been reading the report(its almost fivety pages long) and the test was to see if running methanol was going to be cost effective alternative to gas to help reduce our dependence on gasoline.

just put a special chip/injectors and my car will be ready.

look closer at any t blue/blue no options, column shift.five were not changed in any way,just driven to compare to the meth cars. here are the five non meth car numbers (this number and a federal meth stamp will be on the owners manual)
1) 9391
2) 9393
3) 9395
4) 9397
5) 9399

heres the five meth car numbers;

1) 9390
2) 9392
3) 9394
4) 9396 (my car #)
5) 9398

Hell,.. I just want one of those tanks!! I'd love to have all the extra fuel capacity in my t type. I hate going to the gas station.

edit: oh yeah, my (blue) 84 t type had the same little chrome piece that goes around trunk lock

if i would have drove my car to ky from ga i could have on one tank of fuel!!!!!!!!!! not fun when super unleaded is $3 gal and it holds 30 gal. that hundred dollar bill GONE.:eek:

from what i understand from people who were at the auction,most if not all five were sold for less back then:eek:
cosmeticaly all looked rough because they all sat in the university of Tennesses' parking lot for years.but all had extremely low miles.wish i could had been there with the $$$$.
kinda like i wish i could had been around in '69 and ordered up a couple of COPO camaros;)

Cool Thread

Yes I had one of these until I let someone drive it and he rolled it over on its top. I got pics if anyone wants to see it.

I saw where all cars were accounted for. However, 2 of these cars were here in Birmingham I had one and Jim Thomas (ALLTRAC PERFORMANCE) had the other one sitting outside his shop for a long time before it went belly up. At that same time Jim owed alot of people money and I remember going there, noticing the car, the tank etc etc. At that time someone did a drive by and shot the car on the passenger side door a few times. A few weeks later someone came and stole the car. It was just a roller at the time but nobody knows who stole it. Not that I care but if all these cars are accounted for then someone has the one that was stolen.

I got mine from a guy named Kurt who owned the machine shop that did "UNDERDOGS" machine work. It was his sons car that he got for him when he was 16. They painted it and put a new motor in it then he got caught doing 115mph in a 55mph zone and Kurt decided that it was too fast for him. He listed it on autotrader, I saw it and had to have it. He gave me all of the alcohol parts. I had the box, 6 620cc injectors, regulator and nickel plated (one the inside) fuel rails, etc etc.

The car is in Leeds AL last account I had. Some guy bought it at auction and parted it out b/c it was beyond repair in any way at all. The car still had seat braces, 2 air bags, 2 HR parts 1/4"longer lowers, eaton posi w/28 spline mosier axles.