GM in Quicksand! ...Say Goodbye Soon.

I agree QuickBuick87- Spoken like a true-blue American. I drive GM for my daily driver, and own a Ford Pickup truck, and a Harley Davidson.

But, I think like I said before - that GM is already suffering the largest losses yet, and it will have considerable effects in the near future- unless there's a major restructuring or merger to happen in the near future. This is a sad time.

Hmmm.......what do ya expect, being almost every car on the road seems to be a Honda, Toyota, Subbie, or Hyundai??? NO loyality anymore. You won't see anything but AMERICAN in my driveway!!! :mad:

I own 4 GM's and one Ford just for the record.

I really don't understand the buy import mentality. When it comes to the luxury cars I can see the BMW Mercedes purchase but from that on down I don't get it. I have been in the Auto industry for many years and see many domestic cars that are just as desirable and economical as the imports.
Subaru sell quite a few cars why? VW same thing why? I see the Fusion, 300 Chrysler, Malibu, Caddie, Stang, Ford 500, Sebring and all are nice driving cars and get great mileage. I do own an early 7 series BMW but it gets 25 mpg on the highway as does my Magnum.
Plenty of Domestics out there that people have no clue about. Its in the advertising. Hell look at McDonalds sales and there is nothing good about their food.
Its all about perception. I have owned most makes and have had as many probs and more with Mercedes and BMW as Donestic

The small, efficient car market is a tough one. Domestics are hesitant to stake their entire future on them because:

1. They are cheap cars and to make a profit you either have to be extremely frugal on the engineering side and/or sell millions of them.

2. They have stiff competition in that market. Foreigners have dealt with cramped city parking and high gas prices for decades, and they have their econoboxes sorted out pretty well.

3: If the economy pushes gas prices back down, the few cars they will be selling will be shifted back towards suvs again. Most of the people who would be new car buyers in a depression would be the well off families who could afford the good stuff.

It's surprising to see how badly the people around here are resisting the econoboxes. Both domestic and import. We're getting a lot of SUV owners trading for midsize crossovers and some minivans, but not many are getting into the small cars. Alot of families simply need more room, others are just stubborn. Farmers are keeping our local truck market very alive. They need them and they'll keep buying them. But it's gonna be a rough ride through this for all the domestics.

Don't forget that GM going under articles may be started because of the sudden drop in GM share price. GM = GMAC, once the mortgage side of GM is cleared up the stock should rise again. They have some very good products getting ready for production.

GMAC is also heavy in the Insurance market which we all know was reinvested back into the "market"

I feel bad about owning a 2008 Mistubshi Lancer. But I have a 2008 Chevy Cobalt SS/TC and my Buick:biggrin:

Oh no please to all the vendors I'll buy every GM part you have:eek:

I too have a 2008 Lancer GTS. This was purchased for my wife. We looked at American made as well. It came down to price/warranty/financing/quality and resale. The car gets 30 mpg and is fun to drive with the paddle shifter on the wheel. It is the only import we own.

Bryan

I too have a 2008 Lancer GTS. This was purchased for my wife. We looked at American made as well. It came down to price/warranty/financing/quality and resale. The car gets 30 mpg and is fun to drive with the paddle shifter on the wheel. It is the only import we own.

Bryan

Yea our Lancers went down big time. Check out KBB.com or NADA.com

Yea our Lancers went down big time. Check out KBB.com or NADA.com

I got a SWEET deal on mine. GTS, sun& sound package with a 650 watt Rockford Fosgate stereo, subwoofer, CVS transmission, black-on black ( of course) $17,000.00 out the door. I couldn't pass it up. The Rallyart edition will be in the dealership in Jan. The Black one that they have on order has been reserved for me, if they make me a deal as good as the last I will trade in the GTS just to get the AWD turbo.

DETROIT (AP) - General Motors Corp. says it will idle its Janesville, Wis., sport utility vehicle factory on Dec. 23, earlier than the company had expected.

The factory employs 1,200 workers and makes the GMC Yukon, Chevrolet Tahoe and Chevrolet Suburban SUVs.

GM spokesman Chris Lee said Monday that the market for those vehicles is shrinking, so the automaker had to make the difficult decision to idle the factory early. The company had previously said it would shut down Janesville and three other pickup truck and SUV factories by 2010.

Earlier this month, GM moved up the closure of another of those plants, an SUV factory in Moraine, Ohio. It will also close Dec. 23.

DETROIT (AP) - General Motors Corp. says it will idle its Janesville, Wis., sport utility vehicle factory on Dec. 23, earlier than the company had expected.

The factory employs 1,200 workers and makes the GMC Yukon, Chevrolet Tahoe and Chevrolet Suburban SUVs.

GM spokesman Chris Lee said Monday that the market for those vehicles is shrinking, so the automaker had to make the difficult decision to idle the factory early. The company had previously said it would shut down Janesville and three other pickup truck and SUV factories by 2010.

Earlier this month, GM moved up the closure of another of those plants, an SUV factory in Moraine, Ohio. It will also close Dec. 23.

The GM production is getting shifted to Mexico, now on another time table than the previous one. This isn't just a GM problem. The Princeton, Indiana Toyota Tundra/Sequoia plant has been sitting since July. They are scrapping million, maybe hundreds of millions in extra tooling for that plant. Production for those vehicles is moving to Texas and Mexico. The existing plant will now produce the hybrid highlander.

The point is this issue is not isolated to GM, it''s all the big auto mfgs right now.