GM Hightech Magazine

GNBRETT

Pelennor Fields
I looked over the magazine today and they featured a GN in with GNX knock-off rims and few run of the mill go fast parts with little detail. I not saying the car wasn't a decent ride but is that the best GM Hightech can do for a feature car these days?

I mean I can think of (50) other cars on this board that would have been more interesting then that car. Technology has come so far and there are so many vendors out there with new and exciting parts that could have been displayed on a daily driver car that would have made it a lot more interesting.

I just thought it was lame and unoriginal. I guess that's why I cancelled my subscription to Hightech a while ago because for the few times they feature TR's they are usually plain jane lame TR's that just aren't all that interesting or unique.

I just thought it was lame and unoriginal. I guess that's why I cancelled my subscription to Hightech a while ago because for the few times they feature TR's they are usually plain jane lame TR's that just aren't all that interesting or unique.

+1.

Sometimes I think they should just change the name to LSXHi-Performance or what ever engine is the soup d'jour at the moment.:mad:

Personally I don't see why they have to put a TR in any issue of the mag. They must have a 6 month lead time or something. What was hot 6 months ago is old news to us by the time it hits your mailbox.:rolleyes:

Would be nice to see more than one buick. I remember a couple of issues with no buick stuff at all. I don't think i will renew again.

+1.

Sometimes I think they should just change the name to LSXHi-Performance or what ever engine is the soup d'jour at the moment.:mad:

Personally I don't see why they have to put a TR in any issue of the mag. They must have a 6 month lead time or something. What was hot 6 months ago is old news to us by the time it hits your mailbox.:rolleyes:
+2 but it's the best we got for now unless I'm missing something. The feature they did on the 84 H/O Otto did was sweet.

I know what you mean.. Back in 1998 they had Nelson Hernandez and I tow all the way from Florida to New Jersey to the Buick/Ford Showdown (Which we qualified #2 for, BTW) with the promise of doing an article on Nelson's car. We got there and then then editor acted like he didn't even know who we were even tho I'd talked to him on the phone a few weeks before about the article to make sure everything was still a go.

gmhighwreck

+1.

Fact spoken right there

If you read the "editorial comment" section at the beginning of the magazine there are often posts from non-TR owners bitching about just the opposite.

"This is GM High Tech Performance not GN HTP..." and the like.

With the number of turbo powered Buicks compared to the number of non TR cars out there I think we get pretty good representation for the small percentage of the market we are.

Not saying we shouldn't have more representation..I would love more...just trying to rationalize why we don't.

This month's magazine bored me to tears but I'm sure other non TR owners wet themselves over some of the articles.

Just my .02

They changed the format about 1.5 - 2 years ago. When I read it, it sounded like an import tuner magazine. They say things like "he uses a 13 mm wrench to tighten the bolt" and thats the comment for the picture. I havent gotten one in about a year, they are just getting lame.

I was reading it this morning for breakfast and while I was paging thru I saw the GN and thought oh wow cool.. I started reading the article and I felt exactly like you guys! Glad it wasn't just me with all those feelings. I'm usually always happy to see these cars get some good layouts in any mag but it looks like something they may have shot awhile ago and were looking for some filler for this issue. I remember reading several things that were typo's/incorrect as well in the article. :mad:

I love all of the F bodies and GTO's with a crap load of mods they install that run about the same 1/4 mile times as my GTP's:rolleyes:

Was I the only one wondering where the 150 shot was on the list of mods? It went something like 136 mph:confused: on a 6152e, stock headers, tiny reed flat tappet, champion irons?:confused: Where is my extra 12 mph dammit!!! But any Buick coverage is good. I thought they had been doing a great job adding a bit in each month. We aren't their bread and butter. Although I think it would be cool for them to do an in house syclone/typhoon, hotair GN (that would be fun), dropping a TPI350 into a monte SS and doing bolt ons etc....

I subscribe to GM High Tech, and like you guys say it is not what it once was. I have an old issue where the whole thing was dedicated to TR's :) . I've been cutting out all the TR articles over the years and have made a couple of three ring binders with all of the articles posted in it. They may come in handy one day. :smile:

Kind of reminds me of how Turbo & Hi Tech Performance Magazine changed. I think they're now obsolete and out of publication, but back in 1997 they did a real nice spread of Venom:
http://www.gnvenom.com/pdfs/thtp97.pdf

We're just the minority, always will be...

I've seen that article before.....awesome. I used to get that Turbo Magazine way back when. Funny thing happened one time, I went into some Book store and was actually looking for that Turbo Magazine. I asked the guy at the counter if he had any "Turbo" Magazines? He told me to look over in the Adult Section!!! :eek: Must have been some homo magizine. I says to the guy....."it's a "Car" Magazine".......................He says "O sorry" and pointed to where the Car Magazines were at......Guess he thought I looked like a fag! :mad:

Keep complaining. You will NO Buicks anymore. I guess yall missed page #4 & the fact that the "Buick Guy" in that magazine, Editor Rick Jensen was leaving for personal reasons. Lets really see how much Buick stuff shows up now.

Keep complaining. You will NO Buicks anymore. I guess yall missed page #4 & the fact that the "Buick Guy" in that magazine, Editor Rick Jensen was leaving for personal reasons. Lets really see how much Buick stuff shows up now.

Well the "Buick Guy" didn't seem to be doing much as it is so I can't see how his leaving for personal reasons would make much of a difference at this point. Maybe they need a "New Buick Guy". The magazine simply dosen't pay much mind to TR's anymore. It's not anyones opinion, it's just the facts.

Seeing an interesting TR featured in Hightech these days is like a rare Sasquatch sighting...:rolleyes:

Maybe they feel they get more interest with Camaros and GTO's. That's fine I guess since it's their magazine but as for us TR fans we could care less why, we would just like to see a little heart put into a featured TR's and when they do on that rare ocassion feature one, atleast feature something other then one that would have been featured 5 years ago.

Howbout featuring one with a newer BB Billet turbo, or newer styled boost controller, or wastegate or intake or converter or a tranny built by one of the numerous tranny guru's or one of the many newer styled rims or an alky kit that pretty much everyone is running now and howbout atleast detailing which FAST stytem he was running? Classic, XFI, XFI w/traction control? Mentioning a reputable tuner would not be a lot to ask for either since anyone who knows anything about these cars knows that the tune is everything.

Heaven forbid they feature a car that has a motor built by DLS, RPE, Anderson, TA, etc,etc... It's not a lot to ask for and it wouldn't have taken any more effort to accomplish considering there are probably hundreds of members that could have met any of these requirements.

The only time you ever see anything about TR's in Hightech these days is after the Nationals. Then they disappear like a fart in the wind for most of the year. There is still a large following. There are over 24k members on this board alone.

I just think it's plain bad marketing IMO.

turbo magazine does in fact still exist you can find it at walmart and meijer (mich) but its become an import rag i used to subscribe to it when i was into the chrysler fwd turbos and i remember reading the gn articles back before i could afford one you r correct though the only vendor in there is ta and a couple trans shops they really could do better i mean even with the vendors on here and the new technology that comes out it would be great if ya ask me...Hey jay theres a new project start a domestic forced induction mag and include everyone focus on buicks but include sytys,3800 supercharged,fbodys ,mustangs,srt neons even b bodys anything super or turbocharged as long as its domestic what yall think?

If you read the "editorial comment" section at the beginning of the magazine there are often posts from non-TR owners bitching about just the opposite.

"This is GM High Tech Performance not GN HTP..." and the like.

With the number of turbo powered Buicks compared to the number of non TR cars out there I think we get pretty good representation for the small percentage of the market we are.

Not saying we shouldn't have more representation..I would love more...just trying to rationalize why we don't.

This month's magazine bored me to tears but I'm sure other non TR owners wet themselves over some of the articles.

Just my .02

Exactly what I was thinking. I don't understand why any TR owner would complain about this mag. Its the only one that features TR's and has technical articles.

To cancel the subscription and deny yourself the info and layouts of our cars just to save $20 is beyond me.

Things may change now that Rick is leaving, but I for one am thankful for what they have done.