GM Absurdity

carlsbadGN

I priced a set of GN rear bumper fillers today at the local GM dealer at $927.60 retail, $695.70 trade price. Makes you want to go right out and buy some more GM products.....

This from the company that revived the employee pricing sale "to celebrate 100 years" (not because sales are in the crapper!)

I paid just over $500 for a pair and I work at a dealer. They just won't ever be any cheaper unless you find someone who doesn't know what they have or is liquidating their stash like crazy. I found a set on TBs' one time for $400 shipped, NIB, and it took awhile for those to sell. AND, GM will flatten them out when they ship them to you. I have mine propped up in the closet on jigs that I made to keep them in their proper form.

It just plain sucks

LOL! Didn't even notice that. What a knucklehead! I think you can email them through the craigslist.org email address in the upper left hand corner.

And a gallon of gas aint $2.00 and your house is worth twice as much as it was 10 years ago. Hey dude those are made out of urethene. And what is in urethene? Add in the fact that GM has had to rebuild the molds and find somebody to cast them and you can see that's a bargain. Especially when you start comparing them to the price of a full width bumper fascia used on something like a Corvette. You know you should be gratefull that you can still get a part for a 20 year old car. Heck your screwed if you need any urethene for a 3rd gen F-Body or even a 94-96 Impala SS. It may sound trivial but just imagine if GM did discontinue them 10 years ago. How would that effect the value of your low mileage car? You'd be saying to yourself how you'd pay anything for a set. You know years ago the GS guys were b*tching about the price of NOS grilles. Who in the heck would pay $2,000 for a NOS grille? The guy who knew his car was worth $40-$50K that's who. Obviouslly you give a damn about them otherwise you wouldn't be b*tching about the price.:confused:

And a gallon of gas aint $2.00 and your house is worth twice as much as it was 10 years ago. Hey dude those are made out of urethene. And what is in urethene? Add in the fact that GM has had to rebuild the molds and find somebody to cast them and you can see that's a bargain. Especially when you start comparing them to the price of a full width bumper fascia used on something like a Corvette. You know you should be gratefull that you can still get a part for a 20 year old car. Heck your screwed if you need any urethene for a 3rd gen F-Body or even a 94-96 Impala SS. It may sound trivial but just imagine if GM did discontinue them 10 years ago. How would that effect the value of your low mileage car? You'd be saying to yourself how you'd pay anything for a set. You know years ago the GS guys were b*tching about the price of NOS grilles. Who in the heck would pay $2,000 for a NOS grille? The guy who knew his car was worth $40-$50K that's who. Obviouslly you give a damn about them otherwise you wouldn't be b*tching about the price.:confused:

Wow, somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed!:biggrin: Well, maybe they will come down in price since everyone seems to need to replace them now. If they get more orders, maybe the cost will go down? Anyways, seems like the stockers were made to last 20 years.

Go buy a cheaper aftermarket set and spend hrs getting them to fit just about right and you wont be complaining. My time is worth something to me. Or get a used set and repeat the process every couple years.:tongue: Time to sell your car if you think that is an absurd price. These cars havent been produced in 20 years. Thankfully these parts are still available.

Great post.

Wow, somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed!:biggrin: Well, maybe they will come down in price since everyone seems to need to replace them now. If they get more orders, maybe the cost will go down? Anyways, seems like the stockers were made to last 20 years.

Dont count on it. Unless they outsource to China

Thanks for reminding me. I need to order a spare set.

N O S parts are much like art work. The part is only new once and if limited the price is high. Once installled it is just a used part. Priced a shaker hood lately????

You guys are something else. Yes, when I get tired of getting ripped off, I'll sell the damned thing. Meanwhile, you and Bison pony up the inflated price and feel good that the parts are still available.

You guys are something else. Yes, when I get tired of getting ripped off, I'll sell the damned thing. Meanwhile, you and Bison pony up the inflated price and feel good that the parts are still available.

I am:biggrin: . These cars are a luxury to own and drive. The inflated price will only get more inflated. Until GM drops their price every time you fight with aftermarket replacement crap (which most of it is, some is OK) think of me and how much BS you had to put up with getting a good fit. Was it worth the $300 saved and is the final product the same as it was if you spent the $650-700? Some cars are not worthy of these fillers ill agree to that but for anything that is decent and is having paint and body work done they are not unreasonable. Since were on the subject what do you think is a reasonable price for these and how do you come to this conclusion? From my experience the GM parts have not even been touched as far as quality and fitment. They already lasted 20 years and im sure another set will last a lot longer then that since not too many of these cars are left in the elemnets all and night long.

The ABS fillers from GBodyparts seem to be pretty good quality pieces and have some flexibilty as well. They are around $170 for a set. They seem to match the stock lines perfect. I bought a set of fiberglass fronts and ABS rears. The fiberglass fronts fit well. The only difference was the lack of the little groove the bezels sit in. Otherwise you would never know they were fiber.

I am:biggrin: . These cars are a luxury to own and drive. The inflated price will only get more inflated. Until GM drops their price every time you fight with aftermarket replacement crap (which most of it is, some is OK) think of me and how much BS you had to put up with getting a good fit. Was it worth the $300 saved and is the final product the same as it was if you spent the $650-700? Some cars are not worthy of these fillers ill agree to that but for anything that is decent and is having paint and body work done they are not unreasonable. Since were on the subject what do you think is a reasonable price for these and how do you come to this conclusion? From my experience the GM parts have not even been touched as far as quality and fitment. They already lasted 20 years and im sure another set will last a lot longer then that since not too many of these cars are left in the elemnets all and night long.

I don't install junk or after market pieces on my car if oem parts are available. Fortunately, I have the means to pamper it much like a 4 legged member of the family. However, that doesn't mean that I have to take a screwing and then smile about it.

I don't know why you guys are getting so defensive over the inflated cost of GN parts. I mention the latest price of bumper fillers and you infer that I'm an as*hole for not liking it. Well, I don't like it and most guys here don't as well.

Obviously, the market drives the prices of parts and I wouldn't try to say what's fair and what isn't. I will, however, leave my wallet in my pocket when something is priced ridiculously, and allow people with a keener sense of value (such as you), lead the way. March on, my good man, and get those parts before they are gone :biggrin:.

I don't install junk or after market pieces on my car if oem parts are available. Fortunately, I have the means to pamper it much like a 4 legged member of the family. However, that doesn't mean that I have to take a screwing and then smile about it.

I don't know why you guys are getting so defensive over the inflated cost of GN parts. I mention the latest price of bumper fillers and you infer that I'm an as*hole for not liking it. Well, I don't like it and most guys here don't as well.

Obviously, the market drives the prices of parts and I wouldn't try to say what's fair and what isn't. I will, however, leave my wallet in my pocket when something is priced ridiculously, and allow people with a keener sense of value (such as you), lead the way. March on, my good man, and get those parts before they are gone :biggrin:.
Didnt imply that anyone was an a$shole. Id rather pay less than more but am grateful to be able to buy a set when i need it instead of having to wait for a set like anyone who wants one after they are discontinued and even more $. Im amazed they are still available.