GM Absurdity

Didnt imply that anyone was an a$shole. Id rather pay less than more but am grateful to be able to buy a set when i need it instead of having to wait for a set like anyone who wants one after they are discontinued and even more $. Im amazed they are still available.

OK, guess I took it the wrong way. I didn't intend to ruffle your feathers.

I don't install junk or after market pieces on my car if oem parts are available. Fortunately, I have the means to pamper it much like a 4 legged member of the family. However, that doesn't mean that I have to take a screwing and then smile about it.

I don't know why you guys are getting so defensive over the inflated cost of GN parts.

It's a good thing you explained your position with that post. You obviously have no idea how my side of the buisiness works. What are you? Some left coast kommie who thinks everything should be free? I'm too tired to explain the free market system to you.

Tip Of The Day. These aint getting any cheaper. With the current economic problems that Detroit is experiencing you better start saving up to buy them. They will go up in price or they could just disappear forever. Look what happened to Chrysler in the early 80's. A Hemi Cuda was only 10 years old and suddenly you couldn't get parts for them. Also with $4 a gallon gas I've been seeing regular price increases. On the average 3-5% every other month. A few years ago it would be that per year.

I'm just shooting from the hip. I have to defend my position. I just rant for the heck of it. Stir the pot a little. Just look at all of the vendor bashing threads. I'm in the supply chain too. Have a happy Labor Day weekend.;)

It's a good thing you explained your position with that post. You obviously have no idea how my side of the buisiness works. What are you? Some left coast kommie who thinks everything should be free? I'm too tired to explain the free market system to you.

Tip Of The Day. These aint getting any cheaper. With the current economic problems that Detroit is experiencing you better start saving up to buy them. They will go up in price or they could just disappear forever. Look what happened to Chrysler in the early 80's. A Hemi Cuda was only 10 years old and suddenly you couldn't get parts for them. Also with $4 a gallon gas I've been seeing regular price increases. On the average 3-5% every other month. A few years ago it would be that per year.

I'm just shooting from the hip. I have to defend my position. I just rant for the heck of it. Stir the pot a little. Just look at all of the vendor bashing threads. I'm in the supply chain too. Have a happy Labor Day weekend.;)

Sigh.................... If I wasn't so tired today, I would let you explain the free market system to me. My college professors tried to learn me up for 8 years and obviously it didn't sink in. Oh well, long as I have the bucks to buy over priced parts, I don't have to know jack ;).

Well as they say, somethings only worth what someone is willing to pay for. I've seen small things such as an NOS radiator cap for a 69 Chevy Chevelle go for $500 easy on eBay. :eek: Of course I'd never pay $900 + for some NOS fillers unless I were building a numbers matching concourse frame off detailed down-to-the-last-nut-and bolt show car that was going to spend it's life in a controlled climate.

But at the same time I don't believe someone should be shot down because they're irritated by parts that are beyond the average working mans reach.

Well as they say, somethings only worth what someone is willing to pay for. I've seen small things such as an NOS radiator cap for a 69 Chevy Chevelle go for $500 easy on eBay. :eek: Of course I'd never pay $900 + for some NOS fillers unless I were building a numbers matching concourse frame off detailed down-to-the-last-nut-and bolt show car that was going to spend it's life in a controlled climate.

But at the same time I don't believe someone should be shot down because they're irritated by parts that are beyond the average working mans reach.

Damn, well said. I just read this post and was thinking the same thing. While some may be happy to spend almost a grand on a 'NOS' set of 'plastic fillers,' there ARE actually those of us who own these cars who live on a tight budget and must decide how they're going to go about restoring or repairing/upgrading there ride without braking the bank. Yea, these cars are 20+ years old but you don't see 20 year old rust free Monte SS doors fetching $500 bucks each either!! They made how many Regals/Cutlass's from 84-87?? And yes, I have seen aftermarket 'ABS' fillers that fit nice and probably won't crack or warp after 5 years. Oh wait.....mine fit perfect 'right out of the box' and didn't cost me 3 months worth of heat to boot! Rebuilding my GN has taking years "on a budget" but that won't stop me from shopping around for parts that aren't being gouged because OMG......it's for a 'GN'!!. Give me a break....
KB

you big boys go out and get the $1,000,000.00 Fillers

i'll get the "cheap" ones that look just like yours from up to 1 foot away. and put the balance in Fuel to enjoy the car not talk about what a nice car i have at home in the garage!!

BTW what are we talking about again?:confused:

Glad i bought 10 sets when they were still $58 per side. Maybe ill wait till they are $100/side to sell them:tongue: . Better than the stock market. Money talks and bull$hit can keep on walking.

Funny... I posted a thread along the same lines in the lounge. I'm ticked off about the price of parts on Ebay. People are asking a mint for parts, I guess that's the way it goes. I was directed to this thread from my thread.
Here's what I can tell you from my experience. Let me preface this by saying... I am not a body man, however, I do have degree in collision repair (it was my backup plan.)
I purchased a set of O.E. fillers from Gbodyparts.com. They are not the O.E.M fillers. The fillers are okay, however they required some work. When I first looked at them I was scared! After some work they came around. Don't expect to buy them and spray them. They come "Ready to Paint," yeah, maybe on my kids beater!!!
First, test fit them to your car. The mounting holes will need to be adjusted. A dremel tool works well for this. Second, (after sanding to remove "primer," you don't have to take off all the primer, just rough it up real well) lot's of 2K primer/filler. You can find this in a spray can at your local parts shop if you want to go that way. The seam is pretty pronounced. 3 coats then sand, then repeat. Once you are happy, topcoat.
I didn't use spray cans on mine, so it only took a couple times to get them correct and hide the seam. I used a Dupont topcoat to finish the job.
Even if you buy these fillers, do the prep work, and send them to a shop for paint you are still ahead of what you would spend on factory fillers. Are they as flexible? No. For the average GN are they a quality part? Yes.
Honestly, I've been a GN owner for 18 years, if I walked up to a car with these fillers I couldn't tell the difference at first glance if they are fit and prepped correctly. If I really look I could tell, but unless you are building a concours car, you will be okay!

tpaul I know what you mean.

When I had my old 84 Regal, both of the front filler panels were rotted/busted out. Found a place online that sold new repops. They weren't urethane.

And yes the holes did not line up or anything. In fact, as I seem to recall i wasn't able to get the seams flush without putting a gap in something.

But once painted and installed on the car they looked much better than having busted out filler panels.

I feel the same way, unless you're doing a full blown frame off concourse resto and the car will be a trailer queen in a controlled climate, then you might want to opt for the high dollar NOS stuff. But for a weekend driver, the "you have to make it fit" body panels will work fine for me.

Funny... I posted a thread along the same lines in the lounge. I'm ticked off about the price of parts on Ebay. People are asking a mint for parts, I guess that's the way it goes. I was directed to this thread from my thread.
Here's what I can tell you from my experience. Let me preface this by saying... I am not a body man, however, I do have degree in collision repair (it was my backup plan.)
I purchased a set of O.E. fillers from Gbodyparts.com. They are not the O.E.M fillers. The fillers are okay, however they required some work. When I first looked at them I was scared! After some work they came around. Don't expect to buy them and spray them. They come "Ready to Paint," yeah, maybe on my kids beater!!!
First, test fit them to your car. The mounting holes will need to be adjusted. A dremel tool works well for this. Second, (after sanding to remove "primer," you don't have to take off all the primer, just rough it up real well) lot's of 2K primer/filler. You can find this in a spray can at your local parts shop if you want to go that way. The seam is pretty pronounced. 3 coats then sand, then repeat. Once you are happy, topcoat.
I didn't use spray cans on mine, so it only took a couple times to get them correct and hide the seam. I used a Dupont topcoat to finish the job.
Even if you buy these fillers, do the prep work, and send them to a shop for paint you are still ahead of what you would spend on factory fillers. Are they as flexible? No. For the average GN are they a quality part? Yes.
Honestly, I've been a GN owner for 18 years, if I walked up to a car with these fillers I couldn't tell the difference at first glance if they are fit and prepped correctly. If I really look I could tell, but unless you are building a concours car, you will be okay!

Were these the ABS fillers?